Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

I am looking at a hood in Portland, OR for one of my cars and I'm near Spokane, WA. If I don't find someone who might be heading my way, I may be headed to Portland myself.

Regards,
Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporting a pan Reply with quote

owokie wrote:
SBD wrote:
So far I've had one quote of $1600! Shocked I'll drive out there myself to get it for WAY LESS than that. Rolling Eyes Was just hoping that by some odd fluke there might be someone headed my way. Very Happy

WILL YA now? Bakersfield to Sioux Falls: ~1650 miles. x2 is 3300. /15 likely mpg given a large rig or towing a trailer, 220gl of fuel @ $3/gl = $660. 3 nights in a hotel, $250. $910, ignoring 3300 miles of wear/tear on your rig. Let's pay you for those 48 hours of driving with the $690 remaining, $14/hr for your time. Mine's worth a lot more than that, YMMV.

First of all, I was hoping that with a wide enough amount of latitude in pickup and drop off dates I might find somebody that could add this to a load they had with some empty space but I figured that probably wouldn't happen. Also, a friend of mine that uses U-Ship a lot suggested I try it and told me from his experience it would probably cost me about $250.

As for making the trip myself, it's roughly 1540 miles each way. I'm retired so my time isn't costing me anything. No need to worry about the miles on my vehicle because they'll get there one way or another, I bought it to drive it. Smile Gas might be higher in some places (probably is) but here it's not even up to $2.40 yet. I don't have to sleep in a motel every night, I can sleep in my vehicle. Plenty of room to do so if I choose. It has enough room that I could set up an air mattress in it if I wanted. I can probably make the trip for a bit over $500 plus my food and whatever I decide to spend for lodging. And I've never been to California (or Nevada, or Utah). It'd be an adventure! Very Happy

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

Anyone coming through RENO towards Utah or Colorado anytime soon for a "Samba Express" gig,
<possibly> with related short term storage, dependent on timeline...???

I've got a line on a used side tent & a few other things but I'm finding shipping here to MN to be
almost 4x what I'm paying for the stuff! I'm not ready to bite on that deal... Shocked Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes

In a few months I'll be on my way to Moab & thereabouts... it'd be awesome if I could make a few
Samba good-guy connections to save myself some of that pain, plus put together a quality meetup...

Standing offer for gas money, quality beer & at least one high-end meal! Is Aswah (Francois) the
Samba chef still out there somewhere? Possibly for a commission??? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Please consider; discuss...thanks. Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>

Last edited by dhaavers on Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Anyone coming through Nevada towards Utah or Colorado anytime soon?

I'm leaving this Saturday, the 14th, for Chaco Canyon the 18th. We'll be in Mesa Verde the 21st.

Small window, I know.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

Sorry to say/shoulda mentioned, pickup will be near Reno.
Thanks for the chatter but it looks like you're off the hook...

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Transporting Vanagon parts on road trips for gas money and fun. Reply with quote

Leaving Monday 10/26/20 Picking up a sailboat on a trailer in MI taking it to FL.

Can take alternate routes between stops.

Google Maps link - https://goo.gl/maps/52Qfp114ukR2vk7WA

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: T3 Transmission Transport Reply with quote

Looking for shipping service from Oregon to either, NY, PA or Delaware for a clean T3 VW transmission. I can package it anyway you need it and I'm working with another VW owner back east on logistics. We are flexible, willing to pay for service and all around good family. Anyone road tripping soon and have room?

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: