Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Water Temp sensor 1990 Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
artfulljim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Water Temp sensor 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

I've noticed as it's gotten a bit colder, the little red LED light behind the temperature gage needle starts flashing. Today it flashed all day. I stopped for lunch and after lunch it quit flashing. The temperature needed was in the normal position when it had been running for a bit but the light never stopped flashing until I stopped for lunch and came back afterwards.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Temp sensor 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

Put coolant in your pressure tank, that is the one in the engine compartment to the left rear. the overflow tank should also be checked, opening in the license plate door.

The flashing on that year model means the sensor hanging down in the pressure tank is not contacting coolant.. (assuming the wires are not corroded or have fallen off, etc.)
artfulljim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Temp sensor 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

Thank you! I'll check it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Temp sensor 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

Also, just so it gets said at least once in this thread...

If you have a flashing light on your dash in a Vanagon, STOP IMMEDIATELY. These are not like modern autos where a light means 'tell your mechanic next time you go for an oil change' ..

You may have nearly lost your engine just by letting it flash more than a couple minutes.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Temp sensor 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

Try this...

- Turn the ignition key all the way (not starting the engine), the temp. coolant LED will flash as usual... WAIT for 30/40 sec.

- After 30 sec. start the engine... The temp. coolant LED will stop flashing.

If you don't wait ... The temp. coolant LED will flash for a long time...
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Temp sensor 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
Try this...

- Turn the ignition key all the way (not starting the engine), the temp. coolant LED will flash as usual... WAIT for 30/40 sec.

- After 30 sec. start the engine... The temp. coolant LED will stop flashing.

If you don't wait ... The temp. coolant LED will flash for a long time...

That may work for you, but with the stock configuration no delay is required before starting. Insert key, turn to start, and all warning lights go out after a few seconds.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
artfulljim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Temp sensor 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. It did that the other day and it quit flashing after a short while. Today it got up to the normal temp and it never did quit. I checked the antifreeze level and it was down below the add mark but not completely empty. I was keeping a close eye on the temp gauge. After adding coolant it seems to not be flashing. I'll keep an eye on it for a couple of days. Thanks!
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Temp sensor 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

artfulljim wrote:
Thanks for the tip. It did that the other day and it quit flashing after a short while. Today it got up to the normal temp and it never did quit. I checked the antifreeze level and it was down below the add mark but not completely empty. I was keeping a close eye on the temp gauge. After adding coolant it seems to not be flashing. I'll keep an eye on it for a couple of days. Thanks!

To reitirate what Bobby said, the coolant level sensor is in the tank to the left, the one that's only visible when you remove the engine cover (AKA expansion tank). It has no "min/max" marks and needs to be completely full all the time.

When you added coolant to the other bottle (overflow tank) it eventually got sucked into the expansion tank where the sensor was able to, well, sense it.

Depending on why the expansion tank was low in the first place you might have to refill a few times. Especially if you have a leak somewhere.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Temp sensor 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

artfulljim wrote:

Ideally you should only need to add coolant: 1) if the coolant system had some residual air after a flush/fill, or 2) there is an unidentified coolant leak. Keeping an eye on it is good, but correcting the cause is essential.

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Water Temp sensor 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

Several issues with WBX engines and Vanagon coolant designs are prone to a slow leak. None are feared more than the failure of a floppy head gasket only seconded by the fire ring flaw, both requiring the 'head reseal' procedure.

Next up would be the glorious coolant tubes that run from front to rear, made of plastic, and truncated at the ends by a steel insert meant to resist the clamping pressure of the coolant hose fasteners. There are easily a dozen places you could loose a few drips each time you drive the bus, and you could easily miss the telltale dark spot where you park it as you pull off from the shopping center.

It is all a learning process of how to actually Look And See what is under there. The educational experience is what running a bus is all about. It takes time.

More to the point, even with a no-leak wbx bus, you still have to know that purging air from the system takes lots of attention to details. One of theSamba's favorite threads has to do with bleeding the system. Look for information on this forum regarding the Libby Bong. Despite the sound, it has nothing to do with inhaling. It has to do with a method of purging air from your coolant system. Unless you have NO air in your coolant system, you may fight this plague until you relent and sell. Keep your cool(ant) and don't be tempted to throw in the towel.

Try this in a web browser:

site:thesamba.com vanagon libby bong

Should get you started.
artfulljim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Water Temp sensor 1990 Vanagon Reply with quote

My coolant tank does have maximum and minimum marks on it. I filled it to the maximum line and now it seems fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: