Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

daithi wrote:
nilza wrote:
Thanks again Alman,

That kind of feed back is what makes projects like this work for everyone.
I have changed the number 1 dimension to 9.4mm. I would still suggest to anyone to polish these surfaces just a bit to aid movement.

The thousand monkeys and I have been busy at the computer this week and I think I have the internal part nutted out. I have one on order to test, but if anyone is game to give it a try untested here it is at what it costs me.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KUBMTGV2K/indicator-internal-72-74-vw-bus

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi Nilza I need the black block the 7 wires attach to as mine melted a bit and isn't usable any more, any chance of you doing one of those? (I've the SWF HLS 69 but I think it's the same size if I've read what Alman said above right)

Daithi-
in the above pic, on the left hand side that is not really shown (typical!) the spring has a little hole that it lives in. the copper barrel shoves the spring down, and slips halfway into the hole. If you don't believe me, take out the spring and observe how it fits oh-so perfectly.
as I have said, I nip a tiny bit off the spring, and put the cut end in the hole. the spring is so damn tight otherwise, and puts stress on the part that breaks. I still get great action on the switch.
I do have a spare of the part you need....
edit- I think the HLS 69 came in a 7 wire and a 5 wire. OR someone swapped housings years ago on my strange part.
daithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

Many thanks for that information Alman, it did seem the obvious place for it but the spring really didn't want to share the space ! Now that I know it's definitely there I'll make it fit. If you'd be willing to let me have that spare part, and to post it to Ireland, I'd be happy to pay you for it.
nilza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

daithi wrote:
Many thanks for that information Alman, it did seem the obvious place for it but the spring really didn't want to share the space ! Now that I know it's definitely there I'll make it fit. If you'd be willing to let me have that spare part, and to post it to Ireland, I'd be happy to pay you for it.

Hi Daithi, sorry for the late reply.

The base piece looks pretty simple to draw up. I will do it and add it to the parts on shapeways for you to try next time I get a chance.

The central part pictured above has had a bit of testing now and will need a few modifcations from my end. Mostly the printed plastic is not as stiff as the original and the indicator doesn't spring back as nice as it should, so will need to beef up the arms a little to work around that.

I believe there are 2 other people that bought one though shapeways that have not made contact with me. If they would like to make contact I will send them the updated one free of charge once I am happy for it to go out to testing again.
daithi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

Ah that'd be brilliant Nilza ! I've put the indicator back together in the meantime as the high beam will work. I look forward to taking it apart again, this time on a very clean bench that nothing can run off. I'd been unable to find this thread so I actually messaged you on shapeways a few days ago Smile
nilza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

daithi wrote:
Ah that'd be brilliant Nilza ! I've put the indicator back together in the meantime as the high beam will work. I look forward to taking it apart again, this time on a very clean bench that nothing can run off. I'd been unable to find this thread so I actually messaged you on shapeways a few days ago Smile

Hey Daithi, I got a little time to draw this up while resting a busted ankle.

I have just loaded it to shapeways a cost until someone can confirm whether it is indeed correct.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/NYBBFBKE3/plastic-base-v1-1

As per usual the mating surfaces may need a little polishing up and some grease as the sintered parts are a little grainy.
nilza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

After a bit of testing and correcting the internal part is best I can tell finished.

The original material chosen has been replaced with a cheaper version due to the first version just not being necessary.

As always anybody taking the plunge finding anything wrong with the part, let me know and I will correct that and send you an updated replacement.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KUBMTGV2K/indica...d=65605359
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

Thanks for working this up! My turn signal just broke this morning. Now I only get Left turn; Right turn won't engage. Probably a broken piece of plastic blocking the action.

I have not had Cancel action ever, but managed just fine. Guess it's time to get into this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

Any updates on this repair and parts availability?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Any updates on this repair and parts availability?

this guy just ordered some
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9055764&highlight=#9055764

just bend the tabs back to get access, and SLOWLY take apart so you can see whats what. it you get the SPROING! when you open it up, I can talk u thru it. I have a partial write up in the linked thread. very partial
nilza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

Hi all! sorry for the long absence, Finding time between VW stuff and my real job is quite the task nowdays Confused

We've done quite a few of these now and are really happy with sizing, fit and material choices. As well as adding a few other parts that customers wanted.

You can now find the bridge and hammer for the 72-74 indicators,

https://www.shapeways.com/product/43HKBQHEM/indicator-cancel-part?optionId=64604234
https://www.shapeways.com/product/4245BL4JY/flash-cancel-hammer?optionId=64604212

The internal piece for the 5mm Lozenge type

https://www.shapeways.com/product/JCWP66GS8/indica...=109197328

As Well as the internal for the 6mm Paddle type

https://www.shapeways.com/product/KUBMTGV2K/indica...d=65598782

The base, incase you have had some melting of the old part
https://www.shapeways.com/product/NYBBFBKE3/plastic-base-v1-1?optionId=72385739

And even a matching bridge for the wiper switch on the other side !
https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZUBY2VZWL/wiper-...=112595476

Lastly for all those who email me in regards to other parts that have gone missing, here is a breakdown of the springs and bearings within the unit.

Happy bus building ! Very Happy [/url]
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

I wish someone could make viton or rubber parts that easy. Smile
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

this is a great pic for those that have had the content spill all over the table/floor, HOWEVER, the bearing should be between the spring and the cylinder/roller
kaiisons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
this is a great pic for those that have had the content spill all over the table/floor, HOWEVER, the bearing should be between the spring and the cylinder/roller

How Nils has shown is correct. I've taken maybe 20 apart now, from completely trashed with barely anything being reusable to a pristine one that looked barely used. The ball bearing fits as shown as there is a little ramp on the inside on the center piece, used for the return on the high beam action.

The 72 model is slightly different where the brass contacts are and their associated spring.
cheftaylor74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

If I order these parts and install them, is it a safe bet that my signal cancel will work? It worked when I first got the bus and stopped after I had to man handle the steering column to reattach the horn at the base. Would be super excited to get this working again. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

cheftaylor74 wrote:
If I order these parts and install them, is it a safe bet that my signal cancel will work? It worked when I first got the bus and stopped after I had to man handle the steering column to reattach the horn at the base. Would be super excited to get this working again. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

if it is your unit, then yes. if it is your canceling ring, no.
you can take off the 2 screws (maybe 4?) on the signal/washer housing and test by hand. when you remove the screws on the metal housing, the 2 separate metal halves should come apart. then you activate the signal(bus can be off) and reach in and flick the return tab coming out of the signal housing. I believe it is opposite. if you flick the signal arm up, you would reach in and flick down. this should cancel and return the unit to the unsignaled position. it is also possible that old age has gummed up your unit, and just needs some white lithium grease to get the return tab working again. hope this makes sense. PM me and I can send u a vid if needed. there is one on here somewhere. I will look for it
edit-see below

Last edited by alman72 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal switch repair Reply with quote

^ in regards to hand testing the cancel tab.
kaiisons wrote:
I worked with @Nilza on this unit here in Australia and its currently operating perfectly in my 1973 bus.

'72-74 Turn signal switch repair parts

Link

nilza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

Thanks Alman.

Chef, I can't really give you a yes or no answer from your description, Best is to establish what the problem is and work from there.

Rest assured though if it is a broken plastic part, we have you covered.
cheftaylor74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

Thanks nilza and alman72...

I'm going to take it all apart this weekend and do the flick test.

Curious though - how often does the metal ring fail on these? Is there a replacement made? I can't seem to find one.
cheftaylor74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

So I took it apart...surprisingly easy. I flicked it. Can’t get it to reset manually. The piece is all chewed up. Photos below.

The metal ring on the column looks great and doesn’t seem bent at all. So I guess I’m rebuilding the switch. Ordering parts tonight...thanks for this thread! Wasn’t sure how I’d ever have it fixed.

2dubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '72-74 Turn signal repair Plastic indicator cancel part vendor Reply with quote

just ordered - THANK YOU for putting all your R&D into this one. Looking forward to the new bits. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: