Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

74westy wrote:
Here is what I did. I've not had to realign it and never shead a belt. The more solid the construction of the jig the better.

Link:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538837&highlight=

Craig

I liked your method back when you originally posted it! Nice work! Its along the lines of what SGKent was getting at...and really.....if the jig parts are shatply and accurately cut.....it,should work as well and any method.
Though I have found at this age....its worthwhile to carefully check the pulley for dents before you start.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

if your completely apart, your staring place is an alignment of he timing mark to the dowel on the fan.

Now follow the advise here.[/img]

Yes....but bear in mind..... only bus fans havd that timing punch mark in the pulley. A lot or people are using fans from a wide range of type 4 engines. 411/412/914 fans do not have that punch mark.....and it atill does not fix the centering issue.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
williamM wrote:
[img]

if your completely apart, your staring place is an alignment of he timing mark to the dowel on the fan.

Now follow the advise here.[/img]

Yes....but bear in mind..... only bus fans havd that timing punch mark in the pulley. A lot or people are using fans from a wide range of type 4 engines. 411/412/914 fans do not have that punch mark.....and it atill does not fix the centering issue.
Ray

I think I took that pic for a post where the guy had taken his apart without reference marks - so this was intended to get it an assembly point of reference- truing and balance was to come next. And yup- some guys will be ou of luck.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

This is a really helpful thread. I took my fan apart before I knew any better. I had a broken vane that I repaired with JB weld. That thing will never balance now. Guess it's time for a new one. Luckily I have had no issues with belts but the other issues sound scary...
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
This is a really helpful thread. I took my fan apart before I knew any better. I had a broken vane that I repaired with JB weld. That thing will never balance now. Guess it's time for a new one. Luckily I have had no issues with belts but the other issues sound scary...

STOOOOP!

Jb Weld is not for and will not fix a fan.....and becomes a dangerous projectile that will take out other fan blades.

If you are missing a single blade.....you can either leave it that way and have the fan rebalanced.....and you will never know the difference.

Or.....you can carefully grind it down smooth and crack out the blade 180° across from it and grind it smooth.

This can actually get you close enough that you will see little or no balance issue......but ideally you should still have it checked anyway.

Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

One version of how to true a type 4 fan pulley:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8681745#8681745

Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

Ray - the pulley hub should be sitting on a piece of plate aluminum or steel and lightly greased rather than wood. It would be more stable. Probably lap the hub a couple figure eights too on 500+ and glass.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Ray - the pulley hub should be sitting on a piece of plate aluminum or steel and lightly greased rather than wood. It would be more stable. Probably lap the hub a couple figure eights too on 500+ and glass.

Says who?..... Wink

Actually....I have done it on steel jig plate and MDO board. It makes no difference whatsoever.

The bearings are holding it extremely tight and SQUARE....and are square to the seal race surface due to the shaft/bolt fit. The faces of OD of the bearings are 70% the width of the seal race....and are at least three times more smooth or round.

They are so tight the rim of the hub wears a black ring in the MDO. The first thing I checked for was "helicoptering" from an uneven surface at the top boss with a dial indicator....."0". Once its clamped tight in the bearings you could do this on a gravel road and it would run true.

Sure...it would be nice to have it on jig plate....but it has PROVEN to to make "0" difference at all with good quality bearings and good set up. Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

Steve....so you do not think I was being snooty....here is the geometry in my set up that was missing from my method that allows variation in the surface plate I was working on...to not make any difference.

You will notice that for axles for the 608 bearings.....I did not specify "precision shafts". I listed using a 5/16" bolt.

This was done on purpose.....precisely because there is potential for a small amount of misalignment on MDO board....which is actually quite flat because its CAST in a mold. While it may have surface variation...small low spots created by the grain....it has no high spots....and its softer than the hub.

There is .008" tolerance between shaft/bolt and each bearing. This allows slight misalignment for each bearing to allow the high pressure I imparted to FORCE the bearing and hub face to stay in SQUARE contact....unlike on an inline racing skate.... where these bearings came from....where the shaft tolerance to bearing is about 0.0002" to 0.0003"...a dead fit.

These 608 bearings have the inner face of one side reduced in width by about .010"...as I noted...they are skate bearings (technically 608Z with a seal only on one side). Underneath each bearing is a flat washer that is loose on the bolt with an ID of about 0.335".

Its the bearings having their dead square face...dead square to the dead square face of the hub....that makes this work.

You will notice looking carefully at the red lines...this bolt is not square with the bearing but the bearing is square to the hub. This is what makes it work.

The two methods I used to make sure the hub was riding even with no "helicoptering" that could give errors in reading....were as mentioned in the post....

1. I measured the radial and axial play of the hub at the top fan centering boss and at the seal race with a dial indicator before putting the fan on it.

and the one I did not mention

2. I used a scribe set up on the dial indicator post arm in teh valley of the vee to make a very, light drag scribe line on the valley of the Vee....all the way around and then inspected it for wavering

The scribe....

the scribe in the post mount in action.

The one thing I learned long ago about working on precision fixturing table while working on very precise injection molds and stamping dies.....is that if your working surface or jig plate....is ultra precise.....like the hardened and ground tool steel plates we used for duplicating and laying out parts.....then every single part in the stack up must be exactly equal in tolerance....or you can have an out of square error in setting up.

BUT....BUT....that makes the assumption that every part you work on has straight lines and parallel surfaces. Molds and dies being 3-D curvilinear parts.....trying to force every part to be exact and square to the perfect flat surface insures that you will spend a week trying to set up each mold and never get it right.

Never assume that the table or work surface MUST be the flatness and parallel reference standard.

In the case of this part...when not working on a lathe....the flatness/parallel reference is set by the relationship between the precision bearing faces and the precision face of the hub.

This is actually no different than clamping a block of metal between two precision Gage blocks...on a crooked table....and having the gage blocks mounted on gimbles....and setting the level via an outside point of reference and locking the gage blocks when you get there.

I would submit that the use a of a lathe would be ideal....but also more accurate than you need. You will not get the fan any more perfect than what its capable of due to centerline machining differences in the hub, the aluminum fan and the pulley. Some fans may indeed be nearly perfect...most will not be. Ray
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

What would be most fascinating is to see results taken from a hundred or so currently running engines, as they are, measured in situ.

By now, most people are assuming their fan/pulley have been set up near-perfectly to the best attainable concentricity by some appropriately capable individual.

In reality, I'd bet a great many are rotating quite a bit eccentrically, but the data is largely unavailable.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
What would be most fascinating is to see results taken from a hundred or so currently running engines, as they are, measured in situ.

By now, most people are assuming their fan/pulley have been set up near-perfectly to the best attainable concentricity by some appropriately capable individual.

In reality, I'd bet a great many are rotating quite a bit eccentrically, but the data is largely unavailable.

I would like to know how 100 or so as well. I am betting you are right.

This one was the first I have done in years. In the past I think I may have done 6-8 of them total before this one.

I have only found one that is what I would call.....dead on....meaning within about .001".

The hubs....even the couple of them I did on a crank mounted in a bare case with bearings....are all pretty damn straight.....about .001" maximum....most are less.

The fan ring itself most are off somewhat....and its also the least important part. This one was literally out of round by about .003"-.004".

The pulley itself.....I got to within .003" on two axes.....and +/- than on two more axes.
The whole while....you can find high points and low points of "noise" due to rough surfaces...between otherwise linear and progressive measurements. Ray
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

Is it just me or do other people find that machinists and engine builders unfamiliar with aircooled VW's look at them like old tractor engines? Like because they appear simple that you can just slap them together?
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

Wow, Ray, thanks so much for taking the time to document this method, with pictures and diagrams.

It's helped me understand what's really involved in truing the fan/pulley assembly. It's also confirmed that this is an operation I don't ever want to do Smile

Just coincidentally, I found another method (V-blocks and crank on a bench) to add to those Ray already mentions in his post:

http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150167

Picture by user captain_kapow at the shoptalkforums

Amskeptic wrote:
The balance tabs (little bits of steel wrapped under the lip of the pulley) do the finish balancing.

Also interesting, I never noticed the balance tabs. I'll have a look on my bus to find them next time.

Finally, I think Ray's comment below might be the answer to the last of my original questions:

furgo wrote:
• Once correctly put together and balanced, is the balance of the full assembly when reinstalling it on the engine equally critical? And equally complex?

raygreenwood wrote:
2. The cast aluminum part of the fan itself...was then mounted on the hub. I was surprised out how little if any radial or axial play there was on the dowel pin and hub. Nil. But as noted....the machine work of the fan section....was out to one side by .003". Not bad.

So from this I would infer that no one ever talks about balancing the full assembly because of the small amount of play.

So if I got this correctly: big radial/axial play on pulley/fan holes => requires careful trueing/balancing; small radial/axial play on fan/hub holes + dowel => in principle no balancing required.

Does this sound about right?

Decode your M-Plate
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
orwell84 wrote:

STOOOOP!

Jb Weld is not for and will not fix a fan.....and becomes a dangerous projectile that will take out other fan blades.

If you are missing a single blade.....you can either leave it that way and have the fan rebalanced.....and you will never know the difference.

Or.....you can carefully grind it down smooth and crack out the blade 180° across from it and grind it smooth.

This can actually get you close enough that you will see little or no balance issue......but ideally you should still have it checked anyway.

Ray

Yes, thanks. It's a potential projectile that can also take out an eye. The fan is now on my list, replace or rebalance. I appreciate your helpful comments and advice.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
Just coincidentally, I found another method (V-blocks and crank on a bench) to add to those Ray already mentions in his post:

It looks like the crank wouldn't turn before the throws hit the table.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
furgo wrote:

It looks like the crank wouldn't turn before the throws hit the table.

you rotate the table.....
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

Quote:
furgo said:
So from this I would infer that no one ever talks about balancing the full assembly because of the small amount of play.

So if I got this correctly: big radial/axial play on pulley/fan holes => requires careful trueing/balancing; small radial/axial play on fan/hub holes + dowel => in principle no balancing required.

Does this sound about right?

Balance an "out of round"...play...are two different things.

The fan or pulley or both...being in or out of axial alignment has no bearing on balance.

Its just like the difference with a tire and wheel. You can have a perfect tire and wheel rim...but if its out of balance....it causes vibration and wobbling.

Or....you can have perfect balance...but have a bent wheel rim...and it causes vibration and wobble.

The cast aluminum fan blade section can be out of round in relation to the hub it is mounted to....and not be a big deal. By how much is allowable before it causes problems?...I do not know.

But....because the belt pulley is bolted to that fan with through bolts....sandwiched to it....not actually connected to it...so the pulley can move around and be out of alignment to the crank centerline even if the fan section is in perfect alignment....or vica-versa....you can have perfect fan pulley alignment and have the cat aluminum fan section out of alignment.

As long as its not horrible...you would likely not notice that the aluminum fan section is out of alignment radially....because its not connected to anything but the crank. Other than having a visual wobble...or maybe causing some harmonic noise....it has little effect.

But in this case.....what this thread is about.....is if the steel pulley itself is out of alignment radially...it affects the alternator belt running on it.

What I found just on this fan...is that the aluminum fan section is very slightly out of round. Outside of skimming the outside surface of the ring section I measured from...you cannot change this by adjusting....because its pinned in location and bolted to the crankshaft hub.

The pulley though...can be adjusted radially.

Its also possible...that I can get rid of the .003" out of round on the aluminum section of the fan....by switching to a different crank hub to mate it to. I do not know if that .003" is from the fan casting and machining itself...or from a variation in the pin location of the hub I used. But since the hub was concentric to within .0005"...I suspect most of the variation was in the fan casting.

Getting the pulley ring centralized is a different thing than balancing. Ray
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

Thanks Ray for the detailed explanation. This thread has brought me a long way from being told not to do something to learning why not and what needs to be done when it happens. I hope it's helped others as well.

I need some more time to digest the info and might have more questions, but here are a couple of quick ones:

raygreenwood wrote:
But in this case.....what this thread is about.....is if the steel pulley itself is out of alignment radially...it affects the alternator belt running on it.

Ok, so primarily what we're trying to do is to restore the radial alignment of the pulley and the fan, nothing else. I've seen this operation being mentioned as balancing or truing, which up until now sounded like voodoo to my ears. Bringing back alignment I can understand. If that's the case, I should probably change the title of the thread to "Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment".

But if the two are not radially aligned, would the effect not be that the assembly is out of balance while turning?

You mention "out of round" in some places, and radial alignment in others. Do I understand it correctly that "out of round" in this context means the same as "out of radial alignment" (*)?

(*) instead of "out of round" meaning that we're not dealing with a perfect circle.

Decode your M-Plate
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

Then inner fan will align with the hub because of how it is made. You want the outer part of the fan carrying the belt running true and not in and out, up and down. You do not want the belt being tightened and loosened every time the pulley turns. It will create vibration and wear if that happens. VW assembled them in a way they ran true. Taking them apart, even if you mark them causes them to be no longer true because of the play in the bolts and holes for the bolts.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Then inner fan will align with the hub because of how it is made.

Ok, I think that answers that question then. I assume then that upon reinstallation of an aligned fan/pulley assembly, the way the three fan hub holes are built, coupled with the dowel pin, make the installation of the assembly non-critical. That is, the misalignment figure of the fan hub in relationship to the fan/pulley assembly is negligible.

Looking at this crude sketch I just put together, what I did not understand initially was why B (what we're discussing in this thread) was so critical, whereas A was never discussed. (I know there are more misalignment cases, but I just drew this two to keep things simple, and they apply best to the current discussion).

If I understand this correctly then, both cases would cause vibration on the alternatir belt. The only difference is that the misalignment figures that can occur in A can be neglected whereas in B they are potentially higher and cannot be neglected.

Decode your M-Plate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: