Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

Both A and B discussed in my "how to".

So we have three parts in the picture/sketch. Lets name them for conversation sake.

1. Hub. The part that has a tapered bore and bolts to the crank

2. The aluminum fan casting that is pinned to the hub

3. The steel pulley ring which is held tight and centered to the aluminum fan ring....only by the four through bolts

Terminology:
Axial: means in line with the centerline of the crankshaft
Radial: means radiating outward perpendicular to the centerline of the crankshaft

I spoke about scenario A....the relationship between the tapered steel hub that bolts to the crankshaft and the aluminum fan casting section. This is where I found a radial "out of round" variation of .003". The steel hub on the crank was measured by itself and does not have this radial issue.....so its in the casting or machining of the aluminum fan casting.

I spoke about scenario B primarily.....because the steel pully ring was out of alignment becasue the through bolts had been loosened.

There is a third possibility of misalignment that we did not address that Steve asked about. That being.....is the machine work on the steel hub that mates to the crank centered.

I have not set up a way to measure that....perfectly.....and I cannot find my rounded micrometer anvil attachment....but from crude measurements....the machine work to the hub appears to be very straight.

Your last question.....will the misalignment of the aluminum fan section not cause the same vibration and problems with the pulley?

No.....Because we are aligning the steel pulley ring.....to the steel crank hub so they are all on the same radial centerline....regardless of the radial position of the cast aluminum fan section.

Its important to visualize.....the steel pulley ring.....is NOT bolted to the cast aluminum fan ring......its CLAMPED to the cast aluminum fan ring by through bolts that are in holes larger in diameter than the bolts. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan balance Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

There is a third possibility of misalignment that we did not address that Steve asked about. That being.....is the machine work on the steel hub that mates to the crank center

Ok, I've added this as scenario C. Not to cover all of them, but at least those radial misalignment scenarios mentioned in this thread. But bearing in mind that the main discussion topic is B.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This C case is actually the one I meant when I was talking of reinstalling the fan/pulley assembly. Only that I initially had failed to understand that the pulley and fan were also being aligned to the fan hub in the process. And even when separating the fan hub from the fan to bolt it back to the crankcase, the dowel and threads will keep 1, 2 and 3 aligned to a tight tolerance when reinstalling the fan. And the taper joint will keep them and 4 also aligned.

raygreenwood wrote:

Its important to visualize.....the steel pulley ring.....is NOT bolted to the cast aluminum fan ring......its CLAMPED to the cast aluminum fan ring by through bolts that are in holes larger in diameter than the bolts. Ray

That's one bit I was missing and makes things clearer. So to summarize:

A - alignment not critical due to bolted and indexed joint
B - alignment critical due to through bolts' diameter (unthreaded and bigger than the bolts). What we're discussing on this thread.
C - alignment not critical due to taper joint

Update: this thread has also got good information on pulley alignment and balance

Decode your M-Plate

Last edited by furgo on Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment Reply with quote

And after 3 pages....the rule is do not take your fan apart.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment Reply with quote

There was one time I had to change tires and I simply looked up the Owner's Manual and got the ones I needed.

I then saw the 180-page tire thread on The Samba and stopped worrying about the length of discussions on the forum.

Everyone has a particular area of interest, and that's fine Smile

Decode your M-Plate
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
And after 3 pages....the rule is do not take your fan apart.

Or mark it well and make a simple jig.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment Reply with quote

you can take it to get balanced.

I didn't take mine apart but still brought it in when I had other things balanced. They said it was already perfect, but they could do it if it hadn't been.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:

I didn't take mine apart but still brought it in when I had other things balanced. They said it was already perfect, but they could do it if it hadn't been.

But bear in mind...being balanced is not being "straight" and vica versa. Two different things.

you can have perfect balance....and have a fan pulley so out of alignment that it throws the belt off in seconds.

You can have a perfectly round/aligned pulley...and have a wobble so bad that the upstream vibration shortens the life of the crank main bearing and the alternator bearings. Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
airkooledchris wrote:

But bear in mind...being balanced is not being "straight" and vica versa. Two different things.

you can have perfect balance....and have a fan pulley so out of alignment that it throws the belt off in seconds.

You can have a perfectly round/aligned pulley...and have a wobble so bad that the upstream vibration shortens the life of the crank main bearing and the alternator bearings. Ray

X2
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment Reply with quote

Glad I read this thread. Didn't even think about the pulley ring not being self centering, when it's disassembled / reassembled....

Pulled my fan apart as well to clean/paint, but I'm thinking it will be pretty easy to re-align the pulley ring just by bolting the fan onto the crankshaft (without the fan housing), so you can rotate the whole assembly and use a dial indicator on the pulley ring. I would think you could lightly clamp the 4 bolts and correct the eccentricity by lightly tapping the pulley ring in increments of 1/2 the total indicator reading at a time, then tighten down the 4 bolts to full torque, once you get everything to within a few thousandths.

After I get the fan and pulley ring right, and before I re-assemble my engine, I'm going to bolt the fan, A/C drive pulley, flywheel, and pressure plate to the crankshaft, mark every nut and bolt, and scribe the relationship of the pressure plate to the flywheel, and then take the whole assembly to a shop for a proper 2 plane dynamic balancing.
f1wanabe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment Reply with quote

Read through the thread and have a question. Never removed the fan, but my fan was pretty dirty with relatively loose dirt. It seems to have been sitting in a dusty environment at some point. There was dirt sitting in the inside groove of the pulley, so I cleaned it out. I now have a 2000 rpm vibration. Looked over pictures of fans to see if there was any balancing weight added to the fan itself and came across this picture. My fan also had something like a plastic material inside the channel until I cleaned it! What material was used to balance the fans? I can still see the discolored area where it sat, maybe I could add it back?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment Reply with quote

I think the original balance weights were just steel, but could be wrong. You could certain try adding weights back. I have just used hunks of welding rod and siliconed them in place for testing purposes. Once you get the correct weight in the correct location you can go back and JB Weld them in place.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment Reply with quote

Well, when a fan is that way............... time to find another and send that one to Ray so he can take it apart and play with it. Smile I see a 10,532 word post in his and your future.

Bummer of a birthmark Hal

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Well, when a fan is that way............... time to find another and send that one to Ray so he can take it apart and play with it. Smile I see a 10,532 word post in his and your future.

Bummer of a birthmark Hal

I can re-center them after disassembly.....easy no problem. Anyone can do that. Its just not that hard.

Balancing them I can't do......I don't have the tools. However I got one re-balanced in May for about $35. Its balanced to 6000 rpm. I had to bring them the hub that bolts to it.

Its just not a big deal. I don't know why so many continually try to make it a big deal.

Here is a thread abut fan parts assembly with pictures of the balance weights. Wildthings is correct...they were just little steel dowels.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8562325&highlight=#8562325

Some info on the fan spacer and auxiliary/AC pulley if you need it...just including it because it has some good pics in it.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686844&start=0

And finally....."A" method of aligning the pulley. I have used it successfully on all of the 7 fans I own right now.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8681745#8681745

Thats ought to be close to 10,000 words.....is that stressing you out SGKent? Wink

Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment Reply with quote

Oh....Wildthings....quick note!

I saw your post about the possible captive inner nut on the pivot point bracket.

While I do not recall ever seeing one personally.....if the bracket in my picture originally had one and its now lost....it would totally explain why the hole is so much larger and so uniform.

Since all of my parts are originally 411/412...I will check my range of 411/412 specific books and if see if there is a picture and mention and possibly part #.
of an alternator bracket with a captive nut. Ray
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

I saw your post about the possible captive inner nut on the pivot point bracket.

While I do not recall ever seeing one personally.....if the bracket in my picture originally had one and its now lost....it would totally explain why the hole is so much larger and so uniform.

Since all of my parts are originally 411/412...I will check my range of 411/412 specific books and if see if there is a picture and mention and possibly part #.

That would explain why your hole appears round and not oblong.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

That would explain why your hole appears round and not oblong.

Yeah.....its always seemed screwy. There are handful over the years really maybe 3-4....that I have pulled apart with that overly large and perfectly round hole.

I always contrasted that with others I have pulled apart with obviously smaller....but as you note...."oblong" holes (obvious wear)....and I always thought WTF?

Some having captive nuts would explain that.

By the way, after posting earlier I looked in Mcmmaster Carr and they have aome nice press-in, metric captive nuts in steel and stainless steel .....but they would not be the right kind. Tbey are "fixed" captive nuts with teeth. This one would need to be a rotating captive nur with a peened over flange.

Have to look for those. Ray

Something like these:

https://www.zygology.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1404&idcategory=368
drlong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment Reply with quote

Ray. Would you be able to re assemble and align a pulley assembly for me?+
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment Reply with quote

drlong wrote:
Ray. Would you be able to re assemble and align a pulley assembly for me?+

Yes....I can do that. I can get it back together in the correct timing pattern if it has a bus pulley notch....because that is in a set location from vertical top center "0" used by 411/412 and 914. As long as the weights are still on it (if it had any)...it should be reasonably close to original balance....even though the original bolts, washers and spacer weights were not 100% identical.

However...if its a 411/412/914 fan....it will not have the pulley notch that the bus had...so it will be virtually impossible to know in which of the 4 quadrants any balance weight goes....but I can re-assemble it and true it. Ray
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment Reply with quote

It’s a coincidence that there are 10.532 pictures in this thread
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Type 4 pulley/fan alignment Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It’s a coincidence that there are 10.532 pictures in this thread

I counted 10.539. You must be using that new higher math. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: