Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New harness almost done...help!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

69 Ghia Autostick coupe...

Everything is rewired on the car except for making the connections to the new fuse panel which should arrive today.

Under the rear seat I have a 4-way shrouded connector. One is for the red branch wire off the main harness, but the other set is a blue wire with red striping. I don't have one of these on the harness anywhere! I can't find it on my diagram either! What is it???

My harness wiring for the voltage regulator puts it in the upper left side under the hood near the autostick control valve. The regulator is not there. Nor is it under the back seat. Where the hell is it? I looked at what I pulled out of the car and I don't see that combination of wires anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

Relay for the rear window defrost . . . it gets a red wire from the regulator.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

hazmatty3614 wrote:
The regulator is not there. Nor is it under the back seat. Where the hell is it?

In your alternator? My '74 autostick has the external regulator up by the control valve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

ding ding. You have an alternator that is internally regulated.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

The bracket for the regulator is in that corner but I can tell by it's condition that nothing has been mounted to it. This site has saved me so much trouble. I truly thank all of you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

Ill take a stab at it..
If I'm understanding you properly,you currently have an existing small wired cube under your seat,and no wires on your new harness for it?
I'm going to say that's probably a "hot start relay" that someone installed in the past..not on the diagram because not a VW part..

" Wires for a regulator that's not there"...
Do you have an alternator instead of a generator? If this is the case,then it's likely internally regulated,eliminating the big silver box stock regulator..

Maybe post some pics of both..
EDIT..man I'm a slow typer,two very smart people responded in the time I took to think and write this response.. Rolling Eyes

It could very well be for the defrost..but maybe the hot start as well
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

The label on it is as follows:

BOSCH
IND. BRASILEIRA
9 120 080 122
K1 14V 23/51A

If in fact I do not need those regulator wires, what is the opinion on how to address them? wrap them up individually then wrap them to the main harness?
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

A google search seems to have revealed it is an alternator.

Please forgive me. This is my first automotive hobby endeavor.

What should I do with the spare wires?

Thanks again.
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

You may want to google alternator conversion wiring while your at it..
I'm assuming you have 2 wires from your harness now..a 30 red and the blue/ tracer coming from up front..
The red wires need to be connected three ways from the starter,headlight switch and battery and sent to the post on your alternator..
The blue/tracer is for the generator warning lamp and has to be connected to the back post on the alternator..it's likely not long enough,so it will have to be extended..use a green wire..the ground on the alternator needs to be connected as well..

There's a few different diagrams for this..I did mine a certain way as to relocate the battery under the seat..
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

All of my wires to the rear of the car seem to have homes except these which are circled.

They are a red and blue pair, and a set of red, green, brown.

I need to know what to do with these 5 wires.

The green, red, and brown which are marked "generator" are connected to the alternator.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

Tell me if this is correct:

RED B+ to Battery+
BLUE #61 extended and combined with GREEN DF on alternator male spade
BRN D- to ground

RED D+ (circled) not used
GREEN DF (circled) not used
These two are on the alternator from the "GEN" harness already.
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

What I'm getting from other sources is this:

BLUE #61 connects to GREEN DF

RED B+ connects to RED D+

Brown to ground.

Seems reasonable...
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

Your alternator is an INTERNALLY regulated alternator (AL82). The D+ terminal needs to be wired to a 12v+ source for two reasons:
1) Prior to starting the 12v+ input into the D+ terminal will build a magnetic field which will start the alternator charging. Without this input to initially build the magnetic field, the alternator will spin but not build current. Once charging, the alternator will "self excite" itself and keep itself charging.

2) While charging, the voltage coming in on this circuit is used by the voltage regulator as a reference to control the charge rate of the alternator.

You could use a 12v/2W lamp in the D+ circuit in place of the Gen light in the speedo. This circuit, with bulb, is needed to get the alternator properly charging. Do NOT use an LED since it will have much lower resistance.

And...Alt wiring diagram.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/889903.jpg

I hate wiring!!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

Thank you!!!
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

I’m going to connect the blue and green to each other, and the two reds together and to battery (3 way)

Moderator added wiring diagrams pulled from JBugs to help others in the future.......

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

I think that is correct. Towards the tail end of this conversion video, it shows how to connect the wires to bypass the regulator.

https://youtu.be/S05pHNO7RQw
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

These last two replies have been a life saver. I started with a homemade harness, hacked up beyond recognition. The new wiring works harness assumes a gen and a VR. I’m understanding much better now.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

Good luck... Buying the parts to do this myself. Let us know how it turns out.
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

I have all of the wiring in the car now. Most connections are made. I’m curious if anyone has created a diagram of how the switches and relays are connected to each other. I realize a full diagram will guide me, but this would be greatly simplified by having just a diagram of the interconnections of switches and relays. Bouncing around from switch wiring diagrams seems counterproductive.
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New harness almost done...help! Reply with quote

Also, how is everyone organizing/mounting their relays? I have 3 relays that don’t seem to have any mounting hardware or location to be mounted. I’m considering cable tying them all together and then to the chassis support post in front of the fuse panel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: