Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

another

You need to wear some Nitrel gloves that trans oil is hazaderous. I hope you don't wash your hands in gas. Laughing
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

to the OP -

it takes 2 people turning the same way, or a person and one wheel stopped to turn the wheels in a meaningful way. When one person turns one the other spins the other way because of the differential. That doesn't turn the ring gear at all. However I can assure you that if the wheels spin the differential freely you have given the ring gear a chance to unload so if you cannot pull it out of gear the problem is in the trans. It does take a good solid push or pull to move the hockey stick. Putting the trans into reverse pulls the hockey stick forwards. You have to push it back in to get to neutral.

how a differential works

Link

Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
ok, so you can't move the hockey stick...even with the vice grips?

if that's true, you have internal trans issues. it could be as easy as a broken support bracket in the nose cone area, or way more sinister

clutch lever swing is important because if you have too little, it will not compress the pressure plate and release the clutch.

so, IF you CAN'T move the shift rod on the trans at all, it has to come out....nothing can be serviced in the bus

if the photos aren't destroyed, aeromech had some nice photos of the broken relay bracket in the nose cone. pretty straightforward fix, but you have to make sure you line up all the selector levers, otherwise you'll only be able to get into a few gears, and not all of them

Thank you. It looks like I'll be dropping the tranny.
Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

why go though all that work machining a perfectly good nut when you have an extra cheap old imported socket that is practically made for the job Smile

Wildthings wrote:
alman72 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
alman72 wrote:
never saw the socket hack before...need to remember that one in case my spare cable happens to be too long

No, you are not going to do that . . .

You will first determine that you have the correct cable.
Then,
you will insert a few washers between the bowden cable and the bracket on the side of the transaxle. Then you get a good proper sag (as specified) and you get a beautifully machined semi-ball&socket action between the specially formed wingnut and lever. As it should be. As it always has been.
Colin Razz

I need to remember the socket hack when I am out in the middle of BFE in the dark and need to get moving again, and when I get home I can try to order the correct length. I tried when I first got the bus, to have a spare, but then reading on here it seems lots of folks seem to get a little extra length depending on where they ordered from. I would never run this as a permenant solution.

Take on old nut, cut the wings off and drill the threads out. You now have a cable spacer that will not cause the cable to have undue stresses.
Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

in your effort to show the class how much you know, you miss the point entirely. but ill be sure you get a blue star on your homework and a consolation prize for your good effort. Wink

SGKent wrote:
to the OP -

it takes 2 people turning the same way, or a person and one wheel stopped to turn the wheels in a meaningful way. When one person turns one the other spins the other way because of the differential. That doesn't turn the ring gear at all. However I can assure you that if the wheels spin the differential freely you have given the ring gear a chance to unload so if you cannot pull it out of gear the problem is in the trans. It does take a good solid push or pull to move the hockey stick. Putting the trans into reverse pulls the hockey stick forwards. You have to push it back in to get to neutral.

how a differential works

Link
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

Gumboguy wrote:
in your effort to show the class how much you know, you miss the point entirely. but ill be sure you get a blue star on your homework and a consolation prize for your good effort. Wink

you are so right - I don't know crap about one of these.

finished trans:

Reverse gear in center:

Linkage inside nosecone. That is the only part you can access without special tools. The larger u-shaped bracket may be broken in yours, or the plastic ball fell out from wear.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630932&highlight=091+rebuild

Last edited by SGKent on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:38 am; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

Gumboguy wrote:
why go though all that work machining a perfectly good nut when you have an extra cheap old imported socket that is practically made for the job Smile

Wildthings wrote:
alman72 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
alman72 wrote:
never saw the socket hack before...need to remember that one in case my spare cable happens to be too long

No, you are not going to do that . . .

You will first determine that you have the correct cable.
Then,
you will insert a few washers between the bowden cable and the bracket on the side of the transaxle. Then you get a good proper sag (as specified) and you get a beautifully machined semi-ball&socket action between the specially formed wingnut and lever. As it should be. As it always has been.
Colin Razz

I need to remember the socket hack when I am out in the middle of BFE in the dark and need to get moving again, and when I get home I can try to order the correct length. I tried when I first got the bus, to have a spare, but then reading on here it seems lots of folks seem to get a little extra length depending on where they ordered from. I would never run this as a permenant solution.

Take on old nut, cut the wings off and drill the threads out. You now have a cable spacer that will not cause the cable to have undue stresses.

The socket is going to cause the cable to flex at the end of the crimp which will eventually lead to the cable failing. The nut is roundish in shape so that the cable shouldn't flex much in comparison.

Getting the correct length cable is the best idea though.
Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

Now that I have the nose cone off, we can see what condition the parts are in. The ball looks ok and the bracket is not broken. However the selector shafts are stuck and the intermediate shift lever is cockeyed and clearly not in the correct place. A PO must have removed the spring and the stop plate for some reason. There are no fragments of either. There seems to be exsesive wear on the inside of the nose cone in the place where something is supposed to ride on. It used to pop out of reverse when backing up hills.

My next questions are whether or not I should remove the gear carrier section. What pitfalls and surprises await? Will I need specials tools? Will a spring loaded part come flying off? Will a novice with no specialized tranny tools be able to pull it off? Yes I have a Bentley manual and it still looks tricky to me.

What would cause the shift rods to jam up? I'm going with that I was too rough with my shifting and something popped out of whack. If something popped out of whack, should it be found in gear carrier area? There were no chunks of metal when I drained the gear oil. Only some fine shavings stuck to the magnetic plug. That seems normal to me.

Please advise.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

what year bus and transmission is this? All the 002 and 091 I have seen don't have that large nut in your photos. Maybe that is like a 1967 - 1968 thing. Mike (bigbore) would know but he hasn't been here since mid December. Sodbuster might too.

Is that really wear on the selector shaft or is it in the photo?

1970 002

Bugs had a nut like that:

Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

the tranny is in (out of for now) a 1974 Westfalia. Thanks for the fotos. There was no gasket. Seemed like gray rtv sealed it up.

After fiddling with the selector. it seemed to have popped back in place. While I still want to believe that my heavy handedness was the only factor in it getting popped out of whack, i should make sure that there is no internal source of the dislocation of the intermediate shift lever.

Should that intermediate shift lever be easily manipulated by hand as if to go through the gears while I have the nose cone offlease advise.

Thanks yall!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

have no idea what trans that is. As indicated none of the 002 or 091 that I have seen have that bolt. That almost leads me to believe it is something really early but I could be wrong - every 1974 could be like that.

The selectors lock each other out when they move. There is a series of pins that are moved to keep two from moving at the same time. The levers etc inside the transmission can get wear that causes them to do strange things. Also the trans mainshaft bearing in the 002 and 091 eat into the nosecone. When they do the gears do weird things because the forks and gears no longer align properly. You need to get ahold of BigBore or SodBuster to see if they recognize that transmission from the photos and what is causing that wear.

The wear normally occurs around the support area for the main bearing. It has to be milled and a steel plate put in to hold the main gear back.

this is a photo from Colin's website

Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

here is some close ups of the selector shafts. i wiped them off this time. does the revers one look worn down up top?

Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

the drive shaft bearing resting area seems to have no noticeable wear inside the nose cone judging by the picture you provided. just that other part that looks real gouged out by the pinion gearing or where that unidentified nut is.

the possibility exists that its a "frankentranny". It had been fitted for a taller ring and pinion and a taller fourth gear. Perhaps the guy that did that work did some voodoo. I see 002 ******* stamped on the tranny on the passenger side of the gear carrier area.

also, with a little bit of push. the 1st/2nd selector shaft popped down. Smile
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

1. your gearbox is a 002. Therefore the selector linkage inside your nosecone should NOT have the locator springs like you have seen in some of the pictures posted. Those came on the 091 gearboxes. if you look at the pics again you will see them shown both ways. so what you found inside your nosecone is correct. That said, try poping the center selector shaft down so it is inline with the other two. It should pop back into position fairly easy. If not you'll no doubt need to go deeper.

2. the reason you have tat 32mm nut on the end of your pinion shaft is because you have an aftermarket ring and pinion set installed in your transaxle. This retaining nut was commen on older type 1 based bug and bus transaxles but stopped in transaxles made in the late 60's early 70's dependingon production. Aftermarket gear manufacturers retained it's use because it held up better in competition use.
And type 1 based ring and pinion sets DO NOT interchange with those used in 002 transaxles.

It looks lie who ever put that ring and pinion set in your trans did not do the required clearancing inside the nose cone putting it together or or just plain "hamfisted" it together.

And just for clarification. when you said you could spin the wheel. was that #1 just one wheel? #2 Both wheels in the same direction? Or #3 one wheel going clockwise and the other going counter clockwise? If it was #2 you may have problems interally if it was #1 or #3 ten you should apologize to SGKent and go back watch the vid again and gain some needed knowlage.

Mi dos centavos.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

now that they are clean they look fine.

That wear on the nosecone seems to align with the shaft with the bolt. Is that correct? That would concern me as to how it could push so far out unless someone ground that for clearance.
Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

OK guys. While I think this is totally off topic, lets agree to move this whole differential issue off the table. Yes, I turned both wheels in the same direction with the aid of a friend. I am guilty of not being explicit enough. Yes I know how a differential works and have for many years. Have I opened up a VW tranny? No. Yes I find it a a little condescending to be offered a tutorial on a simple subject, as well as I believe any of you with a modicum of mechanical experience would too. Our friend meant well and thats what a forum like this should be about. No, I was not offended by the tutorial and no I don't believe the poster has a thin enough skin to have really and truly offended any more than I was first. I even gave him a playful wink. Smile. It seemed fair to me, just some friendly tit for tat teasing. He seems like a good sport and Lowered knows that he knows his shite. We can all have a little fun teasing and still play nicely together.

So If I offended anybody, Im sorry. Very Happy

Sincerely,

Gumboguy
Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

Yes, aftermarket tranny mods. Thanks for the detailed info and the food for thought. Smile

sodbuster wrote:
1. your gearbox is a 002. Therefore the selector linkage inside your nosecone should NOT have the locator springs like you have seen in some of the pictures posted. Those came on the 091 gearboxes. if you look at the pics again you will see them shown both ways. so what you found inside your nosecone is correct. That said, try poping the center selector shaft down so it is inline with the other two. It should pop back into position fairly easy. If not you'll no doubt need to go deeper.

2. the reason you have tat 32mm nut on the end of your pinion shaft is because you have an aftermarket ring and pinion set installed in your transaxle. This retaining nut was commen on older type 1 based bug and bus transaxles but stopped in transaxles made in the late 60's early 70's dependingon production. Aftermarket gear manufacturers retained it's use because it held up better in competition use.
And type 1 based ring and pinion sets DO NOT interchange with those used in 002 transaxles.

It looks lie who ever put that ring and pinion set in your trans did not do the required clearancing inside the nose cone putting it together or or just plain "hamfisted" it together.

And just for clarification. when you said you could spin the wheel. was that #1 just one wheel? #2 Both wheels in the same direction? Or #3 one wheel going clockwise and the other going counter clockwise? If it was #2 you may have problems interally if it was #1 or #3 ten you should apologize to SGKent and go back watch the vid again and gain some needed knowlage.

Mi dos centavos.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

you took it the wrong way and there is no way I read minds. Someday I promise you someone will ask about differentials and you will go look for that you tube if nothing else is around that pops out at you.
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

Sorry I have been on another planet for awhile Steve had to wake me up so here iam.
I sort-a did a speed-read to get up to speed and one thing that seems to have been over looked this trany had been overhauled before did no one see the brass bushings around the shift rails?
I will reread the thread to see if I can offer any thoughts.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

Have you check the other end of the gear box where reverse gear actually resides?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: