Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

Okay looking over this thread and the photos posted this is a miss match parts trany .
The shift you See with the 36mm nut is from a earlier bug and did damage to the nose cone so as far as I see this trany is not worth pursuing in a repair because it can't be made right without a full tare down and the right parts to put it back right it will be easier to get another one 002 are not hard to get imo.
It would be interesting to see what ring and pinion got put into this trany.
Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

Update:

I popped the intermediate shift lever back in place and that was the problem. To verify, I took it to a tranny shop with plenty of VW experience and he said he could find no reason why it would not work when installed. Smile I was too hard on it.

Thank you for all of your suggestions!
Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

There's a new problem though.

There is a questionable amount of play in the drivers side differential flange and gear shaft. It appears that half the play comes from the splines between the flange and the gearshaft and half between the gearshaft and inside the tranny.

Replace the flange and call it a day or is it absolutely necessary to go deeper in the diff?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

Gumboguy wrote:
There's a new problem though.

There is a questionable amount of play in the drivers side differential flange and gear shaft. It appears that half the play comes from the splines between the flange and the gearshaft and half between the gearshaft and inside the tranny.

Replace the flange and call it a day or is it absolutely necessary to go deeper in the diff?

I have had flanges that were quite loose and didn't cause a problem. At some point they will shorten the lives of the seals though. In the past that was typically about the time the box needed rebuilding anyway, but as these boxes have all had a rebuilt or two at this point in time, it is hard to make accurate predictions about them.

Last edited by Wildthings on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

Gary sent me a note about the circumstances - I understand. FWIW Mike has been rebuilding VW trans for a very long time and is very good at it - you have to trust me on that. Have Eric build you an 091 that he thinks is strong enough to work with the HP that engine makes, and then have Gary, Telford and Robbie fit it to that bus. Otherwise you will need a zipper to take that transmission out of the bus. If you are unhappy with the suggestion get a hold of Don (Skills) or Paul (Gears) and pm the circumstances to them. Don doesn't build trans but he is familiar with your rig setup, and Paul (Gears) is not only a retired VW transbuilder but he is also familiar with your setup.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

Hey Brad,
Seems like you’ve been busy. I still stand by my original suggestion that you install an 091 and then don’t push it too hard. I’m sure you’d have a very reliable bus at that point. Sometimes you can find a good 091 for around $1200 outright. I see them on Craigslist occasionally.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

Eric at Transworks has the tranny. He's going to fix the play at the axles. The flanges are ok.

Also he said he can get most parts for an 091 but that a good core is hard to find. 091's are a little longer and require more mods. If I hafata spend too much, I may as well get a 5 speed Subaru gears tranny. 2500 rpm's at highway speeds sounds good to me. Just a bit pricey.

Ill install the new clutch cable, replace the shifter linkage bushings and promise never to race it or chirp the wheels in 3rd again. Lol.

Besides boiling out the fuel tank or replacing it, is there anything else I should r and r while the motor and transaxle are out of the way?

Thanks again for all your input!

Peace out! Cool
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

I'd like to see pics of the fuel tank. I want to see how you did the return line. Like I said, I bet you could get Ace Radiator to braze a return down on the bottom where it normally would be plus have them boil the tank. Keep in mind that when I had two tanks done recently it took a couple weeks.

Since you have the engine and tranny removed, I'd rebuild the entire shift rod, clean and lube the long tube it lives in. Make sure your drive shafts are in good shape and maybe add some extra grease if you don't pull them all apart. You might want to upgrade your shifter to a Berg. I've installed four of them, including mine, and I like the short throw.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

I see you're Subaru powered....

I would do a re geared 002....uses 091 guts and a taller 3/4. you are right at 3200 @ about 70-74 right where the Subaru is happy.

5th gear is overrated and only missed if you want to drop a gear and blow past someone. the reality is, it's a bus....not a T3/bug etc. having done both, I think a quality 4 speed is the way to go, and keeps the costs down.

another observation is with the 87 feet of shift rod there is no way you can speed shift these...in 4 or 5 speed arrangements. add to that the way the pedals swing thru the floor, it makes it hard to beat it like a GTI in terms of foot work with the clutch.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

Yes. I've gone to the dark side. 2000 jdm ej20tt converted to single td04 turbo. Stinger EMS, stock manifold, injectors, long block. Custom fabbed 2 to 1 header, thrush muffler. Order US parts for 2003 WRX to fit. Ford Explorer twin row radiator. 2 12" pusher fans up top that rarely if ever turn on. 1.5 aluminum tube and clamped radiator hose bends. 002 tranny has taller aftermarket r&p and taller 4th. I get around 3600rpm's at 70mps more or less. 200hp at,the wheels on a dyno.

Serial, I've never raced it,or tried to chirp. I drive really conservatively. No fast starts etc. etc..
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

So Don,
I think he pretty much did what you suggested already with his tranny and only got 2500 miles out of it. I'm suspecting it was more of a problem with the shop that did the tranny work before. I believe he's in good hands now with Transworks.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I see you're Subaru powered....

I would do a re geared 002....uses 091 guts and a taller 3/4. you are right at 3200 @ about 70-74 right where the Subaru is happy.

5th gear is overrated and only missed if you want to drop a gear and blow past someone. the reality is, it's a bus....not a T3/bug etc. having done both, I think a quality 4 speed is the way to go, and keeps the costs down.

another observation is with the 87 feet of shift rod there is no way you can speed shift these...in 4 or 5 speed arrangements. add to that the way the pedals swing thru the floor, it makes it hard to beat it like a GTI in terms of foot work with the clutch.

That's kind-da what i do for those sub converts up here skills but I regear the 091s or 094s in the vanagon converts.
Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

Update:

The super diff was defective. A brass sleeve insert got excessive wear. A little more than 5000 miles. It should have lasted longer. Especially since I can't do hard cornering or racing.

Put in a stock diff and getting ready to install the tranny in the bus after I get the shift linkage rebuilt and lived up.

Does anybody know about these super diffs being poorly made?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

what did Eric say?
Gumboguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
what did Eric say?

Thats what he told me.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Lever travel distance? 002 tranny stuck in reverse Reply with quote

So Brad, the tranny is repaired and all you have left is to pull out your shift rods and rebuild them. Easy peasy. Run a ram rod down the tube first to clean and then to grease. Then shove that beautiful black rod deep into the hole.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: