Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body-engine seal
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
trektider60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Body-engine seal Reply with quote

What is the best lubricant to use on the seal when installing it? Are there any tricks to get it installed? I am installing it with the engine in thr car.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Body-engine seal Reply with quote

liquid dish soap works very well. for install, of the rear piece around the engine bay, remove the rearmost tin for seal install. After seal is installed, reinstall the tin.

make sure none of the channel is crushed, difficult to inspect with engine in car, this is important.

Good Luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Body-engine seal Reply with quote

Egads- I’d pull the engine.

It’d help to make a small tool to run through the channel that the seal slips into, in order to make sure there are no tight spots. And I agree- dish detergent works great.
trektider60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Body-engine seal Reply with quote

Thanks guys; I thought dish soap would work after using it on the windshield. The last time I pulled a VW engine was 30 yrs ago and at 68 I don't want to try it by myself now. The nearest shop thought it would take about 3 hrs ( at $65/hr) to get it done. I have the old seal out and have all the major dents taken care of. A tool would be great; I'll work on that
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Body-engine seal Reply with quote

Search GabFab on the classifieds. He sells the tool for only $15.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Body-engine seal Reply with quote

Honestly let the shop handle it providing that you can observe. It is a pain to do with engine installed. I am sixty five and just pulled and installed a different engine. Had assistance from friends. Now check out local VW clubs. They may assist.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Body-engine seal Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
It is a pain to do with engine installed.

It was a pain to do this with the engine removed, on my 1970 just last year. I had to chisel out those seals and pry open the channels, and use lube (can't remember if I used dishwash liquid or glycerin), then tap the channel down into place.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Body-engine seal Reply with quote

I vote pull the motor.
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Body-engine seal Reply with quote

OP had a dupe thread for this question which was removed. There was one response, quoted below:

smitty24 wrote:
I have used Dawn soap and hot water, as well as this clear jelly stuff we used at the restoration shop made for installing windows in a car. Can’t remember the name but it is literally like KY jelly and makes it go so smoothly! Probably any good silicone spray would do. I don’t usually do the engine seal with engine in but it is possible. If those compartment seals are stupid tight, you can always remove some of the tin To get the seals in, then reinstall tin. One thing I do is carefully use a brake adjusting tool or large flathead to open metal channel slighly more to allow seal to slide in easier.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Body-engine seal Reply with quote

Jennepher wrote:
OP had a dupe thread for this question which was removed. There was one response, quoted below:

smitty24 wrote:
I have used Dawn soap and hot water, as well as this clear jelly stuff we used at the restoration shop made for installing windows in a car. Can’t remember the name but it is literally like KY jelly and makes it go so smoothly! Probably any good silicone spray would do. I don’t usually do the engine seal with engine in but it is possible. If those compartment seals are stupid tight, you can always remove some of the tin To get the seals in, then reinstall tin. One thing I do is carefully use a brake adjusting tool or large flathead to open metal channel slighly more to allow seal to slide in easier.
I would note the last sentence...
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Body-engine seal Reply with quote

Thanks Jennepher for the reference! I was wondering where that reply from last night went.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: