Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

96 Bore - Why Not?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

I don't necessarily have a budget. I like the idea of straying from the norm if just to push the envelope.

I've ordered some 94mm thickwall barrels, 103.4mm O.D., which is a .185" wall thickness. I'm going to have them honed to 96mm, which would leave me with a .145" wall. Standard 94s are approximately .149". The head will need to be opened another 1.2mm all the way around, which may or may not break through. I'll still have the majority of my sealing surface.

Is there anything I'm not considering? This is going in a 67 hardtop, street use, 10 miles a day, 6500 rpm max, 82mm stroke, 28mm pin height
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

How much room is there between say 8mm studs for one? 101.6mm cylinders in a type 1 case??.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

None. 4" cylinders require relocation of the studs and holes in the cylinder head. For my 96 bore, everything remains the same.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

Just measured a Mexican AS-41 Case and measuring between Studs X pattern it's 104mm X105mm. Inside edge of the 8mm studs!
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

I remember Berg's doing 96.5mm on their super street race engines which require stock head stud locations. I would not expect very long life on a street engine. It would be much cheaper to build a 84 or 86 stroke engine.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

Yes, I am sure there are better ways to make power. Maybe the secret would be in a specially made copper head gasket. Even at 94 mm bored heads it's cutting into the stud holes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Danwvw on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HotStreetVw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

What is the diameter of the window of the case? The cylinders I have measure 96.7mm, so if you bore them to 96mm, your paper thin on the case side. I think most guys remove that portion of the cylinder. Sounds terrible for a street car.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

I think normal 94s are 97.25", so if they're the same, they'll have a .0275" wall at the base. I could cut a lot of the base off if I run negative deck. I'd still be well supported at BDC.

But I don't think they're the same, IIRC. I asked once, and was told they were slightly larger at the base.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

It would be nice to find cylinders that can fit on a wbx case, 100mm case opening.
Type 4 cylinders fit fine, but the stud relief location needs to be adjusted.
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

If they only would stop drilling the heads 11mm for the head studs. 8,5 would be great for a 95,5mm bore.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

CB's new heads have reduced cooling fin depth and should be able to accommodate a cylinder several MM larger....maybe it is part of a master plan? Very Happy
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

I was thinking about the same thing. New CB heads and use an undrilled new aluminum case. Then drill the studs for 10mm with no case savers.

As mentioned, would be really nice if they did offer the heads undrilled.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

Ok, here we go:

Shown is a normal 94mm cylinder. 110mm is the pin at BDC. 138mm is the skirt at BDC. I forgot that the T/W cylinder is a long barrel, so I'll increase the base diameter after cutting off the lower fins, and cut away most of the orginal slip-in portion. The base size that I'll end up with depends on how much I can safely cut without breaking into the inserts (12mm). Just roughly measuring, it looks like I can cut another one mm, which would leave me with a decent base thickness.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

BTW, I might be working on fitting 103mm T4 cylinders into a T1 case. It's going to require waay more work, but I think I've done a lot of the problem solving. T4 cylinders are short, so they won't allow huge strokes. 78mm seems to be the max. Maybe a little more if you use some sort of spacers at the bases to support the skirts, like JPM does for their drag engines.
Ebel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

A waterboxer case would be a better starting point especially for 103. They use them for 4" bores. Which is 101.6 maybe. Also the deck is much higher on a wbx so the shorter cylinders might work out better but it still comes down to the heads. You used to be able to buy undrilled heads from cb I think.
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Yes, I am sure there are better ways to make power. Maybe the secret would be in a specially made copper head gasket. Even at 94 mm bored heads it's cutting into the stud holes.

Hey those are my heads lol
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

I remember the Berg 96’s from around 2000. They were Porsche turned down and were really expensive. They even said they were expensive. I inquired when I bought a crank from them.

Bugguy you should talk to Jeff Denham. He does the 4 inch bore stuff and is really cool to talk to. He may have some pointers for you
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

I'm friends with him on FB. I'll inquire if I end up doing the 103mm bore engine.

Jason, you should shoot thru when I get this 96x82 engine going.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

Definitely
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: 96 Bore - Why Not? Reply with quote

yup they need to stop putting those gigantic holes in the heads.and move them outward some too. so..make the holes 8.2mm and move them outward.020"past the exzisting holes....thats a lot of extra room. and the same on the cases too!!! Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: