Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

In January an ad went up on this site for a 58 bus. It was located in Alaska, price was 'best offer'

ad wrote:
1958 Press bumper Price: $ best offer
1958 Early Press bumper, 11 window sub-hatch, camping box, with side tent in excellent condition, with bags and tent stakes. Propane stove, no fridge or water tank. It is missing original roof rack.
The van appears to have come with every accessory option in 1958:
hand crank
gas lock and door locks
extended window levers
Westfalia tow hitch
roof rack later
It has the original jack
1 man pop tent
gas heater

Divorce forced sale created complications with the birth certificate. Leaving me guessing what this rare, one of a kind van could be. It's only my best guess the paint is from 1955, possible SO-22, factory installed camping box.
I know little more and have not touched anything mechanically. The rear axel is locked, it appears to have the original motor, odometer reads: 67964, the last year it was registered on plates was 1973. Wood interior is complete and in more than fair condition, It has the curtains and rear cushions in very rough shape.

In 2015, I sold 1 1958 Pg/sg to <.....>. The entire transaction and transport went very smoothly.

I will gladly include any and all pictures upon request.

Here are the ad pics:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

So, looking critically at the pics, I see what looks like a genuine press bumper 57-58 flat decklid westy with at least some of its interior. The cab looks like westy tan, meaning it is a special colour bus. Looks like the lower corners are rusted through, still has a rear bumper.
Is that actually a chocolate and vanilla westy? Like the barndoor standard colours? pretty cool! And lets not ignore that there is a really nice bright looking three colour tent. Kinda hard to see the actual bus from the pics, though.

Greg's on the phone talking to the seller.

I found a couple more pics of the bus.
It has a front bumper, a good dent in the nose, rotted out dogleg triangle.
I think it has one turn signal lens. Wink

I think we struck a deal that night. Greg booked a flight to Anchorage.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

OH boy! Another wonderful adventure begins for Greg and Clara! I'll be watching, very cool! I can't wait to see how this unfolds!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Tuesday the 9th January Greg got a 6am flight with Kukko drum puller and brake parts and Carhartt cold weather work wear packed. The deal is that the transport company required it to have a working hand brake and foot brake. The weather forecast had highs below freezing, maybe of 20ish, and lows just under zero F. Sunrise was about 10am, sunset about 4pm. Seller said he could get it moved from his back yard to his work, where there were big trucks stored inside. So Greg could work in a somewhat warmer area. Unfortunately, the bus didn't actually get to the shop till after Greg got there, so Greg went and got lunch.

These are pics he sent me.

It does indeed look pretty complete, (yay!!!!) and mostly unmolested. Damage from weather and a bunch of dings. It probably looked better when parked. Looks like someone took an axe to the nose. It has the cabinet in the back, no fridge. Tow hitch is American, not westy. Back bumper is severely tweaked. Mainly og paint, think a little touch up was done. Engine was a 36hp a year newer than the bus, and did not rotate. Definitely a special paint bus, and the paint is pretty strong.

Greg got the brakes working, and put a drivers door handle on it.

wow!

Greg went over to the sellers house to see if any parts were there. Bus had two og paint rims on it, he found a third leaning on another bus. Another wheel was flat on the ground, but it was frozen to the ground. He couldn't tell if it was for this bus or not, as it was face down. After 15 minutes trying to get it loose Greg gave up. Too freaking cold.

He packed the tent in his suitcase and got a flight home late that night.

Last edited by Clara on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Nice score. Looking forward to updates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vtomike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Awesome find!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

very cool, and it is in the hands of somebody who cares about early westies. i will definitely be watching. nice score on the tent, too

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

LOVE IT Popcorn
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Congratulations
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

nice!!! looking forward to seeing it as you all work on it.
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

so great find !!
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Not too many people would fly up to Alaska in the dead on winter to unpickle a bus. Super cool.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

nice
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn + drink'en Foster's....... Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Cool! I needed a new bus thread to follow, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Not too many people would....

#pressedbumperwestyking would 👍🏼
low54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Really like this one such a cool survivor
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Wow, what a Bus! Paul's '58 had that same tent, are they the only two known? My old '58 had the same cushions.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
Wow, what a Bus! Paul's '58 had that same tent, are they the only two known? My old '58 had the same cushions.

I think there are at least three tents in this colour.
We were also wondering if they were the original cushions.

We got sent some pics by the shipping company in Alaska that picked it up. They were nice and crisp. Greg had put the strap round the bus when he was up there. Don't want the hatch flying off.
He had also tidied up in the bus and put the cushions under the seats.

The rear bumper looked like someone had tried to pull the bus by it, when the drums had been frozen up. This was old damage.

The back passenger side cabinets look really nice!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1958 Subhatch - Alaska Westy in Special Paint Reply with quote

The ship sailed in on Monday the 29th and we went to the Port of Tacoma to pick it up. It took a while to find the actual place, driving around in circles. Turns out the directions were years old, the specific location had been changed, and so had the roads. But we found the place, and sorted out the papers. They gave us safety vests to wear.

The bus was in a big open sided shed. This is the first time I saw it in person. We had decided to buy it based on the blurry and incomplete pictures posted by the seller, and the two pics I found on the sellers Facebook page (buried among many many other pics).

The tow Honda is still running. Greg had just put a new alternator in it so we could pull this bus home. The previous time he drove it, I had to tow him home with my bug. But now it charges up, yay!
And yes that is original paint. Wink

The inside of the bus was dry in this pic, but by the time we got home, the hatch top had leaked, and it was dripping on the table and on the bulkhead box.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: