Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super Bowl LII
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Awesome game with good friends and lots of laughs. What else matters?

Hell yes and if you can call in drunk the next day....um I mean sick so much the better. Ain’t this a great country? Very Happy
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

My son graduated college in the spring and took a job in the Boston area for a decent sized property management company. His boss called in from Minnesota and told them they could all have the day off if the Pat's won.

He said it is so quiet in the office today.....nobody thinks they should be there.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

Butler sitting out seems to be some petty disagreement with coach Bill. He started every game this season and post season, then you bench him for the backup? Part of it I'm sure has to do with his contract being up, he signed a one year contract at the beginning of the year that was a sour business with Bill and the front office. They wanted to prevent him from being a Super-Bowl hero so he couldn't use that leverage to get an extension, bigger contract, what have you....
Seems really shady and there is more to that story than we will probably hear until Butler is on another team. It makes no sense, and I would say was a factor in their loss, Pats already not-stellar defense just decided to march a painted target weakness out onto the field for the biggest game of the year.
Maybe Bill had money on the Iggles?

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

Yeah...the Butler issue was certainly a factor. They drilled Rowe all game long. It would not be beyond Bill to sit him to make a point

Although at the end of the day we had the ball with 2:00+ minutes left...while not perfect that is certainly enough time.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

Brady was the better QB.
Philly had the better team.
Teams win championships.
Margins were close, so this is not any damning criticism, just an observation on what made the little difference by the end of the game.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

I humbly disagree.

Foles outplayed Brady. To me, Brady looked tired.

Overall, Brady is a better quarterback but for that game, I have to give it to Foles.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

ditto on foles. but to me the game was poop, a few nice plays(by the eagles), but all in all poop. and the commercials were also poop. as was the half tyme show. well having spam mas a major sponsor what can you expect..it was the first nfl I have seen in a year. good thing I try to buy non nfl supporting products....
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
I humbly disagree.

Foles outplayed Brady. To me, Brady looked tired.

Overall, Brady is a better quarterback but for that game, I have to give it to Foles.

Brady was under pressure from that D line all night. Foles had no pass rush to deal with, he could stand back there and throw it all over. Ask yourself this, if Foles was on NE, Brady on Eagles.....does Brady throw for 800 yds against that horrible NE defense?

Look at what Eagles D line did to Vikings and Keenum, made him look awful. That Eagle O and D lines are menacing! Brady is amazing, he had no help from his defense.

Watching Superbowl for commercials is amateur shit, like going out on New Years Eve, and to a restaurant on Valentine's Day ! Smile

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

At least I did not have to see a saggy tit hangout (Janet Jackson) during halftime this time. I had chicken wings and did not want to vomit it out. Laughing

The damn Patriot's offense allowed a stupid sack to get by and went downhill from there. Brady was going to take the game. Plus, the two TD calls were like 'handouts' to me. Yea.... will just give them that since the Eagles have not won anything since before I was born. Here...have a Super Bowl ring.

I enjoyed the game though. I think they were perfectly matched. It could have gone either way.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
Plus, the two TD calls were like 'handouts' to me.

I am not an Eagles fan, by the way.

Believe me - the NFL will change the "catch rule" before next season; they know it is a huge problem. Even the professional observers, commentators, and the players are confused.

Had those TDs been overturned, just would've fueled the theory that all NFL breaks go to the Patriots. There have been a lot historically that have gone that way, lots of YouTube videos on that.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
nsracing wrote:
Plus, the two TD calls were like 'handouts' to me.

I am not an Eagles fan, by the way.

Believe me - the NFL will change the "catch rule" before next season; they know it is a huge problem. Even the professional observers, commentators, and the players are confused.

Had those TDs been overturned, just would've fueled the theory that all NFL breaks go to the Patriots. There have been a lot historically that have gone that way, lots of YouTube videos on that.

Not a fan of either team or even football for that matter, but the TD where he caught it and ran two yards then dove in was a definite TD. He was a runner in full possession and the Ball crossed the plane, just like running through the corner. Doesn't matter that the balled popped out when it hit the ground, the TD had already happened.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

NFL has trouble figuring out when a receiver becomes a runner. They hopefully will work on this, get it so a 10-year-old can tell what a catch is - because he already knows !!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

Its weird....I don't have a problem with the rules as they have them now. They seem pretty clear.

If you catch the ball and go to the ground you must remain in full control of the ball. If you are juggling it as you go out of bounds you don't have possession and its a non-catch. If you juggle it and eventually control it without it making contact with the ground its a catch.

If you are a "runner" (ie: made a catch and make at least a football move or received the ball via a hand-off) and the ball crosses the plane the end result is a TD. If you are a "runner" and you are down by contact (ie: elbow, knee, etc) and the ground causes the ball to pop out its a dead ball.

I really don't know how you change it to make it better. As an example....lets say you are thrown the ball in the end zone and you reach up and put your hands around it and 1/2 of s second later it gets stripped out. Is that a TD? technically you had "possession" right? It was quick...but you had possession. Giving the refs the ability to determine how long you must have possession of a catch as the determining factor is a terrible idea in my opinion.

As just to re-state......I think the first Eagles TD could have been interpreted either way and I was fine (as a Pats fan) that it went toward the call on the field. The second one the player was clearly a runner as he took 3 steps toward the goal after the catch. Break the plane as a runner and its a TD.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Its weird....I don't have a problem with the rules as they have them now. They seem pretty clear.

NFL itself and Roger Goodell say there's a big problem.

jspbtown wrote:
If you are a "runner" (ie: made a catch and make at least a football move or received the ball via a hand-off) and the ball crosses the plane the end result is a TD.

That is NOT what was decided after a four-minute review in Steelers-Patriots game on Dec. 17. Jesse James made the catch, his knee touched the ground, he changed direction towards the goal line, and then reached out over the goal line with the ball in both hands. When his hands hit he ground in the end zone, the ball got loose, and he re-gripped it; "maybe" the ball touched the ground, maybe his fingers were under the ball, not conclusive that ball hit the ground without his fingers underneath.

Guy on Sportscenter likened the catch rule that instead of catching a lifesaver candy tossed to you - to the NFL you'd have to catch the lifesaver, unwrap it, put it in your mouth, and then say "Ummmm" for it to be a catch.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

James was never a runner. He caught the ball, turned and lurched across the goal line. There is really no dispute that he never established himself as a runner.

As a receiver the ball must remain in his possession through contact with the ground. If you look at the 3:35 second part of this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jcM2E72ZzI

You will see pretty clearly that the ball made contact with the ground.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
If you look at the 3:35 second part of this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jcM2E72ZzI

You will see pretty clearly that the ball made contact with the ground.

It took 4 minutes of review to decide on that....

jspbtown wrote:
He caught the ball, turned and lurched across the goal line.

Even YOU say James caught the ball. His knee contacted the ground, then he made two "legitimate football moves".

They need to fix that rule for sure, that will be done. I propose another rule, and goes for other sports too: if a decision cannot be made in 45 seconds, then the call on the field stands. EVERYONE in baseball admits that the challenge rule was not designed for the 1 microsecond a runner is not in contact with the base, came about from stuff like the horrible blown call at first ruining a perfect game. Same for football, like to see if runner or feet were in bounds, etc.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

Quote:
Even YOU say James caught the ball. His knee contacted the ground, then he made two "legitimate football moves".

I don't think they consider falling a "legitimate football move" Very Happy
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

And sometimes (well, a lot of times), the placement of the ball after a run or play seems somewhat random and certainly not exact. And that too, can have an effect on the outcome of the game.

None of it is an exact science. They have let some of that thinking creep into the game with playback. I don't know if its a good thing or not.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Super Bowl LII Reply with quote

So spotting position of the ball and measuring with the chains is NOT scientific ???

Next you'll tell me that pro wrestling is fake !!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: