Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The engine
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: The engine Reply with quote

I always refer to the bugs engine as a boxer engine, some guys call it a flat four.

But i just read an article about the differences of a boxer and a flat engine, which should be called a 180 degree V engine.

quote: "the boxer mill employs one crankpin per cylinder, while the flat (horizontal V) engine uses one crankpin per two horizontally opposed cylinders."

so where does the vw engine fit exactly here? (getting off topic) how bout a subaru engine? they both have different firing orders. and whats their difference? (flat and boxer)

I drove my friends subie today, the vibration at idle was immense (although i believe he has polyuwhatever mounts) compared to my bugs idle which is smooth while virtually not having any form of sophisticated mounts. although a slight wobbly feeling though from time to time.

It might not sound like one but the vw engine is quite a smooth engine compared to the subie that makes my butt numb after a few mins...
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

Boxer Engine defined direct from the web:

"A flat engine is an internal combustion engine with horizontally-opposed cylinders. Typically, the layout has cylinders arranged in two banks on either side of a single crankshaft and is otherwise known as the boxer, or horizontally-opposed engine.

and a Horizontally Opposed Engine

"A flat engine is an internal combustion engine with horizontally-opposed cylinders. Typically, the layout has cylinders arranged in two banks on either side of a single crankshaft and is otherwise known as the boxer, or horizontally-opposed engine."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamesama980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

It's hard to wrap your head around at first. BMW bikes (2 cylinders), VW (4) and subie (4 and 6) are all boxer engines. That means that each pair of cylinders moves in opposite directions cancelling out the inertia of the piston travel with the opposite piston.

Flat engines, by having a common crankpin, move pairs of cylinders together in the same direction so with low cylinder counts would shake like a mofo. you see them occasionally in ferraris and lambos and the like in 8 or 12 cylinder arrangements. Vibrationally, the 12 is basically 2 I6s.

Hold up your arms at your shoulders, then push both out, they cancel out. that's a boxer. Now hold one arm extended to the side, and one at your shoulder. now alternate, feel your torso get pushed side to side. that's a "flat".
1994 Pontiac Firebird
2001 BMW R1200C
2003 Subaru Baja
Mid Engine Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

Flat 4 has a flat plane crank. Boxer does not have a flat plane crank. That simple.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679467
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

I would never call a horizontally opposed engine any kind of "V". Boxer, yes. Flat, yes.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

So where does that leave the lowly "pancake engine"?
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:

With VW, Porsche, Continental, BMW, Pratt & Whitney, Curtis Wright, Lycoming, Mitsubishi, Subaru, and others. They all have made them, Google "Pancake engine" and see for yourself.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

I'm still puzzled by the talk of the "cylinders moving in opposite directions", etc.
I always thought the cylinders stayed put and the pistons did the moving. Confused
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
I'm still puzzled by the talk of the "cylinders moving in opposite directions", etc.
I always thought the cylinders stayed put and the pistons did the moving. Confused

Not always, not old WW1 radial fighters. See link below;

Rough Flight in Fokker Triplane.mpg - YouTube

▶ 5:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aaf2WnHG_A
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
iowegian wrote:

No....not "radial"....ROTARY. Totally different concept.

In a radial....its called "radial" because the cylinders "RADIATE" outward in a circle. The cylinders stay still and the crank rotates. About 90% of ww1 aircraft and about half of ww2 were "radial" engines.

What you are thinking of is "ROTARY" engines....and I do not mean Mazda style.

In the the rotary aircraft engine ....the crank is bolted to basically the firewall....and is fixed....and the block, cylinders and heads spin around it.
Ray
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

thanks for you replies, perhaps the best way to describe it would be to just say the vw engine...

but im just really curious why the subaru vibrates much more than the bug, considering that the bug virtually has no sort of sophisticated mounting...
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

bug1200 wrote:
thanks for you replies, perhaps the best way to describe it would be to just say the vw engine...

wait, I thought it was a motor...
Very Happy

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Helfen wrote:
iowegian wrote:

In a radial....its called "radial" because the cylinders "RADIATE" outward in a circle. The cylinders stay still and the crank rotates. About 90% of ww1 aircraft and about half of ww2 were "radial" engines.

In the the rotary aircraft engine ....the crank is bolted to basically the firewall....and is fixed....and the block, cylinders and heads spin around it.
Ray

The rotary engine is often called the stationary radial.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

bug1200 wrote:
I always refer to the bugs engine as a boxer engine, some guys call it a flat four.

But i just read an article about the differences of a boxer and a flat engine, which should be called a 180 degree V engine.

quote: "the boxer mill employs one crankpin per cylinder, while the flat (horizontal V) engine uses one crankpin per two horizontally opposed cylinders."

so where does the vw engine fit exactly here? (getting off topic) how bout a subaru engine? they both have different firing orders. and whats their difference? (flat and boxer)

I drove my friends subie today, the vibration at idle was immense (although i believe he has polyuwhatever mounts) compared to my bugs idle which is smooth while virtually not having any form of sophisticated mounts. although a slight wobbly feeling though from time to time.

It might not sound like one but the vw engine is quite a smooth engine compared to the subie that makes my butt numb after a few mins...

I like to refer to either one as a boat anchor.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Helfen wrote:
iowegian wrote:

Ray

Whadda ya got if'n the propeller remains horizontal and the aeroplane fuselage rotates --------then wot? Confused
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Helfen wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
Helfen wrote:
iowegian wrote:

Ray

Whadda ya got if'n the propeller remains horizontal and the aeroplane fuselage rotates --------then wot? Confused

Torque steer.
bug1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

slave1pilot wrote:
bug1200 wrote:

Very Happy

lol, haha. now that you think about it the words "motor" and "engine" are both interchangeable and can be used to describe "the thing that makes your car vroom vroom! and makes it move" so i dont think flat or boxer would really matter now... Cool
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

bug1200 wrote:
slave1pilot wrote:
bug1200 wrote:

Very Happy

lol, haha. now that you think about it the words "motor" and "engine" are both interchangeable and can be used to describe "the thing that makes your car vroom vroom! and makes it move" so i dont think flat or boxer would really matter now... Cool

Never heard a steam engine being called a steam motor.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:

Pancake simply refers to peripheral configuration (i.e. carbs, cooling, etc). Engine block is essentially the same.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: The engine Reply with quote

Toyota had a van called Previa in 84 and it had a water cooled I4 engine laying over on it's side positioned in the middle of the van under the passenger/ cargo floor pancake style.
https://www.toyoland.com/photos/1987/van.jpg
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: