Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering column/shaft stumped !
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Steering column/shaft stumped ! Reply with quote

I'm trying to assemble a workable steering shaft and column for the car and have some questions that I can't answer. I'm using an early 60's steering column, simple plain old tube essentially. No notches, no external horn brush holder, just a tube. I'm also using the steering shaft that came in it originally, again just a simple, but smaller diameter, tube with external splines at one end and internal splines at the other. No "crush zone", no nothing really. Along with these two items I'm using a simple three wire after-market blinker mechanism that just clamps to the column with a hose clamp. This is what I have and am hoping to use.

What I don't have is anything to locate the shaft with in the column and nothing to keep the shaft from moving up and down in the column. I was hoping to get an answer as to whether there are any VW based or available after-market collars or bearings or bushings that will slip into the column at both ends to keep the shaft centered. Maybe something used on another year or model that might work? Fitting and securing the steering wheel in position is no problem as it pretty much stops at the end of the splines, other wise I have nothing to keep things in line and centered.

I know that any of the stock Beetle blinker assemblies/column heads would have an internal collar or bearing of some sort fastened inside of the housing, but all of these are too large in diameter to simply slip into the column tube and I don't want to use the stock set-up. I need to keep the steering wheel WAY closer to the dash board than the stock assembly allows. Space is very tight in the buggy already.

I desperately need some help here, How to locate the shaft within the column top and bottom and how to keep the shaft in place and keep it from sliding up and down the column?

Anyone gone through this and can help out with some parts references or procedure? I'm just LOST . . .

Thank you !
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column/shaft stumped ! Reply with quote

The "rag joint" is all that is used to "locate " shaft in column...

About only thing that could make it more secure is mechanical universal joint or fab up a column with after market bearings and retaining collars...

All early VW I have worked with the shaft just floats with rag joint on steering box and in bearing at top of column...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column/shaft stumped ! Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the steering column upper bearing for '62-'67 Beetles. The lower end of the steering tube generally does not have a bearing and is supported by the steering box to keep it roughly centered in the steering column tube. The bearing assembly taps into the top of the tube. The small part goes onto the steering shaft and locks it to the inner bearing race and the spring preloads the bearing to keep it tight.
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column/shaft stumped ! Reply with quote

Thank you both ! ! I think that I might order up two of those bearing assemblies for either end. I'm not sure just what I'm going to be using for the steering right now but I'm leaning towards a center-mount rack and pinion set-up in which case it'll take some universal joints which won't allow the shaft to stay centered in the column at the bottom end as it would with the stock steering box and rag joint/coupler. Hopefully the second bearing assembly will work. Maybe try to find a roller bearing insert of the correct ID and OD to fit both the shaft and column. Your info is certainly a terrific start for this, I was truly lost here. No longer !
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column/shaft stumped ! Reply with quote

Be sure lower end of column is solidly anchored....Most people just punch hole in glass and stick it through when using long (straight) shaft...

Dale

All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
TC/TeamEvil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column/shaft stumped ! Reply with quote

Good tip, I probably would have just figured that a tight hole would be enough. Best not to risk ANYTHING when it comes to the steering though. I have a collar somewhere, just not sure if it's the correct ID. Was thinking of fastening the column to it with pop rivets but they might intrude too far, have to check that. Otherwise some metal to metal panel adhesive ought to work OK.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column/shaft stumped ! Reply with quote

Think this pic shows what was on my buggy BEFORE restoration... Think I revamped bracket but stayed with muffler clamp idea...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Think if I was going to use column with lower bearing to stabilize u-joint I would use at least two bolts so it does not want to pivot on single bolt...

For upper end of column I used a bar to span the width of tub (behind dash) and used muffler clamp to secure column to bar... You can kinda see it in this pic (just keep in mind pic is with buggy still in build stage)...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M. on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column/shaft stumped ! Reply with quote

TC/TeamEvil wrote:
Thank you both ! ! I think that I might order up two of those bearing assemblies for either end. I'm not sure just what I'm going to be using for the steering right now but I'm leaning towards a center-mount rack and pinion set-up in which case it'll take some universal joints which won't allow the shaft to stay centered in the column at the bottom end as it would with the stock steering box and rag joint/coupler. Hopefully the second bearing assembly will work. Maybe try to find a roller bearing insert of the correct ID and OD to fit both the shaft and column. Your info is certainly a terrific start for this, I was truly lost here. No longer !

I have installed a stock bearing at both ends of my steering column. At the lower end I replaced the spring with a section of tubing that had the same I.D. and O.D. as the spring and locked that end in place with a split shaft collar the appropriate size for the steering shaft. In my case the lower end goes to the stock rag joint and the self-contained steering column is poked through a large rubber grommet at the dash.
herbsflat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column/shaft stumped ! Reply with quote

Here is what I am working on. Please understand that this is my first buggy build so I am learning as I go but to me this seems like a safe setup that allows for a lot of adjustability for wheel position.

Here is a close up of the secondary bottom bearing I installed at the base of the steering tube.

Seems pretty good so far. I found the u-joints and double D shaft from Summit Racing via Borgeson. The other key part was the 5/8-36 spline steering adapter that Pacific Customs sells. Someone else on here did the same thing. Check out this thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8264329&highlight=#8264329
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column/shaft stumped ! Reply with quote

It looks good but I'm wondering what will hold the lower bearing snug. The bearing is normally lightly preloaded by the spring that comes with the kit. I put the short tube section and shaft collar against the bottom bearing so the upper spring could preload both.
herbsflat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column/shaft stumped ! Reply with quote

EVfun - That is the one part I am also not sure about. It is held quite well just due to the interference fit but I worry over time it may loosen up. I was trying to figure out a way to possibly drill and safety wire it or utilize an additional spring and 7/8" shaft collar to mimic how the upper bearing is pre-loaded like you mentioned.

I am trying to picture what you are mentioning with the short tube section and shaft collar but I am not sure I get it just yet.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column/shaft stumped ! Reply with quote

Somewhere I had a picture of my steering column sitting steering wheel down on a towel in my garage before I installed it. As you can see on yours, the bearing is recessed a bit so you cannot just put a shaft collar on it to keep the shaft retainer in place. So I cut a short section (about 1.5 inches long) of tubing to contact the shaft bearing retainer for the added bottom bearing. I placed the steering column on the floor steering wheel down. I put a couple Popsicle sticks between the steering wheel adapter and the turn signal switch. I pushed the column down, compressing the spring that goes with the upper bearing. Over the end of the shaft I slid this short piece of tube, then slid the shaft collar down after. Holding the column down with one hand I tightened the shaft collar.

I forgot what the tube size was but it was "schedule xx" and I bought it from Speedy Metals. I measured the the I.D. and O.D. of the spring that comes with the bearing and found the tube with the inner and outer diameter that best matched.

Basically, you have the idea already, except at the lower end I used a section of tube instead of the spring.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: