Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

need anyone's help on cooling idea
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: need anyone's help on cooling idea Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

^ Am I missing how that would cool Anxious

Maybe is a work in plumbing progress. Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: need anyone's help on cooling idea Reply with quote

I'm with you too. It looks like a work in progress. I'm looking forward to more myself.😀
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: need anyone's help on cooling idea Reply with quote

It took me a second to realize the top of that "shroud" was still open so I'd say they are mocking something up.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: need anyone's help on cooling idea Reply with quote

there was a T bucket at autorama this year in detroit that had all the normal FEAD stuff driven off of a line shaft that ran between the frame rails. Alternator, power steering pump, AC, etc. Got me thinking that maybe you could set up a line shaft running under either cyl bank 1-2 or 3-4, going back to somewhere far enough up front on the frame where you could then run a belt to the normal T1 alternator/fan set up and just do some custom fab work to make a shroud that would dump into something like the pics above show. it makes sense in my head, hopefully it makes sense here too. then maybe you could do some renault dauphine style side scoops to feed air into the quarter panels. that would look pretty cool.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: need anyone's help on cooling idea Reply with quote

nshaddox wrote:
there was a T bucket at autorama this year in detroit that had all the normal FEAD stuff driven off of a line shaft that ran between the frame rails. Alternator, power steering pump, AC, etc. Got me thinking that maybe you could set up a line shaft running under either cyl bank 1-2 or 3-4, going back to somewhere far enough up front on the frame where you could then run a belt to the normal T1 alternator/fan set up and just do some custom fab work to make a shroud that would dump into something like the pics above show. it makes sense in my head, hopefully it makes sense here too. then maybe you could do some renault dauphine style side scoops to feed air into the quarter panels. that would look pretty cool.

Toyota Previas have a similar setup. The engine is an inline 4 cylinder laying on it's side under the front seats, but it has a driveshaft coming off the front of the engine to drive the alternator, AC compressor, water pump, etc, which is all under the front hood. The shaft even drives a supercharger on some models!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: need anyone's help on cooling idea Reply with quote

have to follow along on this.. love the look..
WD-40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: need anyone's help on cooling idea Reply with quote

I have a couple thoughts, maybe it will help... Question

First, I'll second the idea of a remote oil cooler. Flexible placement + bigger surface area + larger oil quantity are all good things.

Second, since head cooling is the most critical problem, have you considered liquid-cooled heads? Question There have been both production heads (aviation-focused) as well as converted air-cooled heads made by several folks over the years, so there is a reasonable amount of information out there on using water-cooled heads on air-cooled engines.

Third, and I may catch flak for this - I would take the prior discussions on electric cooling with a large grain of salt. Wink Many people have calculated the pressure and air volume of the factory belt-driven fan with the engine at speed/load, and simply worked backwards from that to determine the "required" equivalent power for electric fans to match, and consequently proclaimed it unworkable.

You, however, have a different car and a different set of needs. To start off, you can deduct the amount of air that the factory fan allocates and bleeds off continuously through the heater boxes for interior heat. You also have an open car with many more options for scoops and ducts to collect and direct air while the car is in motion, reducing the amount of electric air required at times the engine is under load. So really, you don't need the electric fans to provide anywhere near that calculated peak volume/pressure... just an electric cooling "assist" to provide the lesser amount required to keep the engine temps in check while stationary. Cool

I also don't believe an "energy debt" is a deal breaker. Say it truly does take more electricity to cool things than the engine makes. So what? Toss in a secondary deep-cycle battery or two to draw from when necessary, and either charge them when at speed (when there is an energy surplus), or plug in at home at the end of the day. Problem solved, not a big deal.

Lastly, you have plenty of options to get creative. Drop the bore size and run thick-wall cylinders with more fin surface area. Decouple or disconnect the generator/alternator when idling to reduce the engine load when full cooling isn't available. Tweak the compression ratio and drop the engine power output to reduce the heat load. Re-route the exhaust so it doesn't hold heat near the heads. Blow air from the bottom up to leverage convection. Pull the rockers on two cylinders and swap a smaller carb on the manifold to convert the engine into a stealthy two-cylinder. Or heck, you could even install a water tank in the car and using fine misting nozzles to atomize small amounts of water vapor into the cooling air to increase its heat transfer and heat carrying capacity.

Think outside the envelope, come up with some ideas, put some thermocouples on key places, and experiment. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: