Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

engine won't stop. Throttle valve?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vacilador
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

1974 Type 2 Bay Window

Earlier tonight I was accelerating to catch up to this girl driving in the right hand lane... so I pushed down on the accelerator and slowly but surely I caught up to her.

But then as I was trying to coast, and pulled my foot off the accelerator, the engine didn't stop ...

The accelerator pedal isn't stuck. Maybe the throttle is stuck open ... not sure

Was able to fudge my way home turning off the car and braking.

Thought someone on the Samba might be able to describe a fix or

a process to figure out a fix for this sort of predicament.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

How familiar are you with your engine compartment? If you know where your throttle arms and cross-bar are, you should check to make sure the throttle return mechanism is in place. All US cars after 1972 must have two independent throttle return mechanisms, so most dual carb setups use a spring on each carb and one spring on the linkage. Single center-mount carbs usually get one spring on the carb and another pulling the throttle arm back anchored somewhere hokey.

Check that the throttle mechanism(s) move freely and get back to us!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

I never knew that regulation , Robby....I wonder how electronic modules cover that. Does the vacuum pull off on later beetle engines count as the second system!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

I'll bet that impressed her - "Help I can't stop....."
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

Important lesson, do not stock women with your VW bus!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vacilador
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

So this afternoon I started up the engine....

Engine power seemed normal at first, then gradually powered up and up and up by itself.

(I am not yet familiar with the engine compartment). I opened the rear hatch and I believe I did find the throttle arm mechanism.

I was able to rotate it (with my hand) towards the stopper, which did depower the engine quite a bit.

This seems too easy.... and I only found one throttle mechanism if indeed this is the right part (photo attached)

Thoughts?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

that melted debris on the throttle plate return spring would make
me suspect the return spring has lost it's temper.
Just an idea.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

vacilador wrote:

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Yes! You have the exceedingly rare 1974 fuel injection system. I didn't even consider (in my original post) that you would have this system, since we only get one or two posts a year regarding it on here.

I've posted a picture below of what I think you have as a mechanical "deceleration valve…" But for now, can you confirm (with a helper) that when you fully release the gas pedal from half-pressed-down, that the throttle body (in your picture) fully returns to idle? Or can you get the throttle body to return more by pressing the tab to the right in your picture?

Robbie

1974-only decel valve:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

Oops- forgot to attach this photo. Here is your throttle arm. Move it the following ways by hand to make sure your cable isn't binding. Does this slow the idle down?

Robbie

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

Also- you might try turning the return spring round so the straight part of the spring is on the throttle and the coils are above the plenum. put some "triflone" spay on all that monkey motion - you may have a sticky shaft somewhere.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Also- you might try turning the return spring round so the straight part of the spring is on the throttle and the coils are above the plenum.

Oooh good catch; the coils being near the throttle pivot could bind and hold the throttle open.

Robbie
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

Looks to me like you need to do some housekeeping in there. There is shredded debris laying everywhere and signs of fire. A review of the "FIRE" sticky might give you a clue as to what will happen to an old vehicle that is not being properly maintained. Also read up on replacing rubber fuel lines.

Note: Women aren't very impressed by the charred remains of classic vehicles found sitting by the side of the road.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Note: Women aren't very impressed by the charred remains of classic vehicles found sitting by the side of the road.

They may not be impressed, but you could be in line for a sympathy cuddle-- or more.

Don't step in any!
vacilador
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

Good news. At least for now, the throttle mechanism is returning to idle on it's own and the cable is pulling freely.

I pressed the tab to the right to orient the mechanism to idle and dropped tri-flow at the high point of the mechanism which cascaded down the inner depths I could not reach with the tip of the applicator on the bottle.

Sending a pic so you can see the whole apparatus.
I also cleaned up the debris a bit.

Soon I will look into replacing fuel lines.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

New S-boots (the big shoddily repaired S shaped hose) are available if yours take the same as used in later years.

Make sure the fuel hose you buy is rated for FI use. US spec hose should say 30r9 on it somewhere, while European hose has its own ratings which aren't as straight forward, at least to me.

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
New S-boots (the big shoddily repaired S shaped hose) are available if yours take the same as used in later years.

I don't think the '74-only S-boots are available. Apparently the PO didn't either… Laughing

Robbie
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
vacilador wrote:

Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Yes! You have the exceedingly rare 1974 fuel injection system. I didn't even consider (in my original post) that you would have this system, since we only get one or two posts a year regarding it on here.

I've posted a picture below of what I think you have as a mechanical "deceleration valve…" But for now, can you confirm (with a helper) that when you fully release the gas pedal from half-pressed-down, that the throttle body (in your picture) fully returns to idle? Or can you get the throttle body to return more by pressing the tab to the right in your picture?

Robbie

1974-only decel valve:

This is not a deceleration valve.....per-se. A deceleration valve.....generally.....operates on over run with throttle closed at higher rpms. This one works in a very specific range just above idle.....and is not an emissions device. Its a drivability device.

It came originally from the 411 and 412. Until I bothered toook in my bus books.... Laughing Rolling Eyes ....about a year and half ago....I had not realized they continued it into the bus for a period of time. It came on the vw 411 starting in about 1970 I think. I wrote a bit about it a year ago....how to adjust. I will post a link when I find it.

It is for the automatic transmission. Most of us call it the "throttle kicker" or throttle positioner.

Its purpose is to kick the throttle open a very small amount as you are coming to a stop with your foot off the throttle......because there is a very short period of time and transmission rpm where the torque converter has not yet bled off enough internal pressure to "de-couple"......and it can drag the engine rpm down enough to almost stall.

This prevents that.....WHEN its operating properly. It has several potential issues.

1. It is VERY sensitive to vacuum leaks, engine condition (meaning age and vacuum signature related to wear and compression)

2. It is very sensitive to adjustment.....and its adjustment will never be right unless idle is steady and vacuum is perfect.

3. It has small vacuum leak issues with age.

If the OP has vacuum leaks either in the line between manifold and the kicker or in the center intake manifold itself.....this unit can easily cully extend....and prevent the throttle from closing.....causing some or all of the problem he is experiencing.

The other thing to look for on that type of TB....with the axial positive return spring wound arround the throttle shaft....is that it has a shaft seal in both top and bottom. If those are chewed up....not only do they leak vacuum they gum up the throttle shaft and can keep it from fully closing. Ray
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

I don't think the '74-only S-boots are available. Apparently the PO didn't either… Laughing

Robbie

Don't think I have ever seen the California '74 fuel injection setup, I guess it might share some additional parts with the '74 412? What if one used a later air cleaner housing, would that allow for the use of the later S boot?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

I think all that Shoe Goo on the throttle body will almost guarantee things are sticky and binding.

Im guessing 74 FIJ parts are are gold capped hens teeth in paucity, though
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: engine won't stop. Throttle valve? Reply with quote

You should really get the right throttle spring in there though

Don't step in any!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: