Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changing Axle Boots
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orsocron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Changing Axle Boots Reply with quote

I'm trying to change the axle boots on my 1964 Notchback. I've got the car off the ground on jack stands to do other maintenance on the back brakes. I've heard that you have to jack up the axle from the bottom of the shock mount to give clearance, and to ensure that you don't overfill when topping off the transaxle.

My problem is that I can't seem to jack up the axle from the shock mount. I can get it to move about 2 inches and then it starts to lift the rear of the car off the jack stand.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Joe

Yes, always!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Axle Boots Reply with quote

That's normal.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Axle Boots Reply with quote

Mind the usual tips about the boots... with the axles level (car on ramps), use a little RTV on the faces, don't overtighten the screws or clamps, rotate so the mating face is at 2/10 o'clock (not 12 o'clock as logic might suggest), fit the big clamp, then loosely fit the small clamp, shove the small end inward about 3/8", then tighten the small clamp.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: