Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kubel Treffen East 2018
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

I seen the registration form on the http://kubeltreffen181.com/ website the other day and filled mine out and sent it in the mail. Looking forward to the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen Eest 2018 Reply with quote

We have our Motel Res. Will send registration soon. Dennis will be bringing his orange/white car and I will be bringing the purple flame car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

I will be driving the green one that's covered with bugs and dirt.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

Can I get a list of the classes you will have at the show?

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

I will be taking my off road Thingster with the 2054 motor.

I am going to delift the 4" and get it back to standard, even though it will be a bit higher with 15" wheels and bigger tyres.

Success, I managed to find my stock spindles.
I am going to put the Thingster back to stock height, for my drive back to Kubel Treffen East. My plan is to drive my Thingster to KTE, fly back to san Jose. Drive my 63 singlecab to Seattle, maybe go to Alaska, and drive back to San Jose. Then in August I will fly out to Asheville NC, to pick up the Thingster and drive back to Cupertino. I just feel that 2500 miles in five days, is too much to feel in shape when you get there.

I did find that American airlines flies into Asheville, and there is a good flight to and from the SF Bay area.

Anybody want stuff moved from CA to KTE , let me know.

Here is how the Thingster looks now, I will get better pics.
I will be driving, the trailer is to go to the Mojave desert, and feel fresh when I get there, also I have broken a lot of stuff, but think everything is now indestructible!

I am very happy with my winch installation, and will be driving all the way with a bikini top. Very noisy with my A1 Thing special sidewinder exhaust.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

Change in plans,
I don't have to go to Seattle the weekend after, so I will slowly drive back to California.
I have decided to keep the Thingster lifted 3 inches, so it is all go.
I added the CB performance 'Jet Doctor' to the Webers so hopefully the blocked idle jet problem has gone away.
Mojave Road will truly tell.

What dates do I need to book for the hotel??
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

Sam, the show is July 13-15. So that Friday would be the 13th. Hope to see you there.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

Sam, the show is July 13-15. So that Friday would be the 13th. Hope to see you there.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

So I think zI need to get to the hotel for Thursday night?
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

We have been booked for awhile and looking forward to the trip. This will be the longest trip in our Thing so far and we are excited. New seat padding, just a few maintenance thing to do and we are ready to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

Hey Guys!

I may be able to go this year, actually planning on driving the THING.
Just trying to find a "Thing friendly" route that don't run me on the hiway too much or thru the mountains (like the Blueridge parkway).

One of the mapped routes that looks pretty fast travel time wise (7hrs 34 m) That [from my home] runs thru Danville, Va via Rt 29
Then to Greensboro, Nc then via I-74 around Windson-Salem, then I-40 to Statesville, NC
past Hickory, NC all the way to Ashville, Nc.

It's been a while since I've been down that way and was curious if anyone had any suggestions on a possible route or good travel time window for that route I mentioned.
I have no idea how bad I-40 or I-74 can get. My Thing's happy at 55- 60 mph, I can go faster but i'd rather not do it for long.

But, if you think you know a "Thing friendly" route,
start from Danville, Va and go from there to the hotel: 755 Upward Rd, Flat Rock, NC 28731

I'm leaning on this even being a 2 day trip, the last time I drove it to a Kubeltreffen was Dover, DE and that took us about 6.5 hrs, I figure I could possibly do 8 or 9 but longer than that breaking it up into 2 days may be better on me.

I could do the towbar thing but since I may be solo on this trip I figured I'd just drive the thing. I have a "newer" truck and I've not tow-bared with it yet.

Well, many thanks for any suggestions!

PM me if you'd rather do that too, fingers crossed I can make it this year!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

I'm going to drive the 2500 miles in 6 days so I think 400 miles a day is about right obviously I'm taking time to get to kubeltreffen East from California
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

I lived in Greensboro, and used to travel to WNC a lot. Now I live here. I think you are going to want to avoid the interstates as much as possible.

My suggestion is, from Danville, 29 to 158, north of Greensboro, follow 158, and pick up 64 in Mocksville. 64 will take you right to Hendersonville.

64 crosses I40 several times, and you can get on and off if you want to test it. Plus you will avoid the climb over Old Fort Mountain if you are on 64. 64 also takes you by Lake Lure, where they filmed Dirty Dancing.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

4118thing wrote:
I lived in Greensboro, and used to travel to WNC a lot. Now I live here. I think you are going to want to avoid the interstates as much as possible.

My suggestion is, from Danville, 29 to 158, north of Greensboro, follow 158, and pick up 64 in Mocksville. 64 will take you right to Hendersonville.

64 crosses I40 several times, and you can get on and off if you want to test it. Plus you will avoid the climb over Old Fort Mountain if you are on 64. 64 also takes you by Lake Lure, where they filmed Dirty Dancing.

hey 4118thing,
I did a quick look at that and yeah that don't look too bad, i'll check it out in more detail. Thank you for the suggestion!
T
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

T-

If I am not mistaken, you still owe me a Coke; which means you have to show up at KTE 2018. Wink
I have a quick drive to California in June, but I will be back with time to spare before driving down to Flat Rock.

Safe travels, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:
4118thing wrote:

hey 4118thing,
I did a quick look at that and yeah that don't look too bad, i'll check it out in more detail. Thank you for the suggestion!
T

I’ve actually driven this several times. You can drive 60, and jump on the interstate if you want more speed or change of scenery. Either way I would avoid going across Old Fort Mountain if you can. It’s not impossible, but is a pretty good climb. I’ve climbed it a couple of times in a 912, and it will definitely raise the temp.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
T-

If I am not mistaken, you still owe me a Coke; which means you have to show up at KTE 2018. Wink
I have a quick drive to California in June, but I will be back with time to spare before driving down to Flat Rock.

Safe travels, Mondshine

Mondshine, I'll do my best to make it! Very Happy

From what 4118thing mentioned as a route, it's looking doable but it could be either a 2 day trip or a LONG day trip.We'll see how this goes, Many thanks for the route suggestions!

T
gblair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

We always select the avoid highways on google maps. Really enjoy seeing towns you can’t on the interstate. We will be heading down 23 from Ohio spending a night halfway there. Car is running great but found a bad rear wheel bearing and have parts on order. Should be good to go in a few days. Looking forward to the trip.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

gblair wrote:
We always select the avoid highways on google maps. Really enjoy seeing towns you can’t on the interstate. We will be heading down 23 from Ohio spending a night halfway there. Car is running great but found a bad rear wheel bearing and have parts on order. Should be good to go in a few days. Looking forward to the trip.

Hey Gblair, hope to see you this year, I got the hotel booked, sending Mike the registration hopefully today.

Sorry bout the bad rear wheel bearing. My Thing had that happen once, I put a new bearing it but the "pocket" the bearing sat in was wallowed out so bad I had to replace the rear trailing arm. The pocket was about a credit card thickness larger than the bearing, really noticed it when we jacked the THING up on a Lift, the driver side drooped much lower than the passenger side. I noticed after the new bearing install I had a lot of up and down wheel play.

Anyway, hope ya get er fixed up ok, now that I've decided to go this year I need to get mine out a bit more and go over everything.

Safe travels, see ya in a month or so.

T
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel Treffen East 2018 Reply with quote

I will make it to KTE, but am having problems at present.
I was going to do the Mojave Road trip, 200 miles across the desert, but had a feeling when at the start and didn't go.
I must be prescient, because 25 miles short of where my trailer was left, it jumped of 4th gear,. I then drove holding it in, and then it made a lot of noise. I drove the last few miles on the freeway in 3rd. I had to drive in first from the freeway to the trailer. Luckily I have a built in winch, so I got the Thingster on the trailer. I got home after locking my keys in the car at a cherry stand!
There was lots of oil on the outside of the tranny so I think it is fried.

I will put in a good tranny but have no Quaife Limited slip differential.

I will put it down to standard ride height for the trip.
I plan to leave on July 5th, so I can do the 2500 miles in comfort.
I have made my reservations starting on the Friday.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: