Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Recommendations on tap and die sets
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Recommendations on tap and die sets Reply with quote

Looking on Amazon there a numerous sets for under $50--tungsten, titanium, carbon steel, etc. Harbor Freight has a set for $15 that is carbon steel. I was mostly looking at the 40pc sets. Thoughst? Suggestions? Experiences?
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on tap and die sets Reply with quote

I use the HF quality tap/die set for thread chasing, plastics, maybe aluminum only. For the few tougher jobs I buy the one I need, usually Craftsman level.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on tap and die sets Reply with quote

Depends on how you're going to use them. I can't tell you how many times the cheaper carbon steel ones snapped on the second or third twist in something as sticky as aluminum. If it's a common tap/die that I know I'll use more than, say, 5 times, I'll ante up and buy the better "commercial" grade pieces from the local True Value (which, weirdly, aren't listed on the TV website). I'd have to look to see what they are made from, but it isn't carbon steel. Might be high speed steel.. it's shinier Smile

Bottom line, you get what you pay for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on tap and die sets Reply with quote

I've had a cheap metric set for over 20 years, think it's Harbor Freight. I've never broken a tap, but had to buy better tap handles.

I also have an SAE set, also low-end.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on tap and die sets Reply with quote

I picked all mine up at tag sales, lots of retired machinests locally because of a few businesses.
The missing or trashed items have been replaced at local hardware store that has a stash of odd metric sizes/thread count.
The tap handles have all been crap, but a pal gave me his grandfather's still in its box, and is a nice tool.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on tap and die sets Reply with quote

I had Craftsman for many years a 37 piece set broke a few along the way. I visited Sears about two weeks ago and bought a new set 75 piece drastically reduced in price at 70 bucks, still in the nice carrying case. No worries on warranty Craftsman is sold at Ace Hardware too if Sears goes away.

Probably the last one I’ll ever buy and as for tap handles do yourself a favor get a good one like this. It’s reversible, it ratchets and has a lifetime guarantee. Hard lesson for some of these guys but good quality tooling makes work easier more enjoyable. Good luck Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on tap and die sets Reply with quote

... and just as important as good taps and dies, good cutting fluid. It makes a world of difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on tap and die sets Reply with quote

What anthracitedub said....and...make sure the taps are made of the CORRECT MATERIAL for what you will be tapping threads in....and have the correct cutting edge angle and rake.....and what the taps are coated with can be critical.....whether they are deep hole taps or shallow taps....bottoming or through hole.....tapered or plug....helical or straight flute....etc...etc.

Here is some good basic info on angles and chamfers for material ranges.

http://www.tapmatic.com/tapping_questions_tap_recommendations_for_specific_materials.ydev

It is for these reasons and how many different materials we get into in retsoring a VW...that I have refrained from buy a "Tap set" of any kind. I collect taps as ai need them.

The basic carbon steel sets...are used for tapping soft....un hardened steel only. They do not have as sharp of a cuttimg edge as high speed steel....and do not have the coatings needed for aluminum and soft metals. They will tap aluminum better in some cases than bright (uncoated) high speed steel but depending on the alloy they can get grabby.

A lot of this has to do with the poor construction and either over hardening or under hardening of carbide tools these days. Either too soft and they do not cut....or too hard and they are brittle and snap.

But.....for a basic small bore metric set I keep around the house.....these are carbon steel and seem to be quite well made and cut very well. I bought them because ai needed a 7mm tap on a Saturday....and the set was all I could get.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-12-Piece-Metric-Tap-a...wUQAvD_BwE

This is 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm and 7mm tap and die with a kind of crappy,die wrench but a decent tap handle in a nice little carrying case.

Ray
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on tap and die sets Reply with quote

Sears does not own Craftsman tools anymore. They sold it to Stanley. Sears still sells Craftsman tools.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on tap and die sets Reply with quote

So I should have mentioned that I will be using chasing threads here in the near future. Specifically the head stud threads and all other relevant threads as I reassemble the top end of my type 4.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on tap and die sets Reply with quote

Might be better off to clean the head studs with a wire brush/wheel. I think they are rolled threads, so a typical die might not give you desired results.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on tap and die sets Reply with quote

I bet a thread chasing set might be a better fit for you. Thread chasing die's are different than taps.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-48-pc-sae-metric-thread-restorer-kit/p-00942275000P
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on tap and die sets Reply with quote

I have crapsman, I have bluepoint(snappon) and some off brans too....for the $ the $14 35 or 42 piece set's that go on sale for less and the best deal. there cheep. and they are sharper then the crapsmans&snappons...they work better and eazer. and their smaller sizes usualy twist some befor snapping off!!! well I've never get one o snappoff, unlike the crapsmans&snappofs. and if your taping the mag cases for oil galley plugs they are much eazer then the others too,I do however run a name brand NPT tap through the holes to finalize the taper as for some reason the china taps a re slightly different....or it's all in my head....hell there has to be somethen up there..... Wink I don't know if that is needed or not, just a habbit. so go to harbor fright and get 2 black sets(black plastic cases)1 std and 1 metric...or like I do, a few of each.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: