Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1st engine drop & doing some maintenance.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Reply with quote

I'll be removing the engine from my 77 westy for the first time due to an oil leak that appeared after my trip home from death valley.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=652578&highlight=

In a previous thread the consensus seemed to point to a leaking main shaft seal. I'll be relying on ratwells guide for the actual step by step process.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EngineRemoval.html

He has a list of tools (I still need to get a fuel line clamp) and I've got everything on the list including an atv jack.

On the advice of sgkent I plan on tackling a few other bits while the engine and tranny are out such as, replacing the clutch, pilot bearing, input shaft seal, and flywheel o-ring and shifter bearings (?).

This is what I ordered to accomplish all of that (part #'s may be busdepot #'s):

Complete Clutch Kit - Upgraded Quality 028141999
Manual Transmission Main Input Shaft Seal 113311113A
Engine Crankshaft Seal 029105245
Flywheel Bolt N90226801
Shift Bushing Replacement Kit 211711211
Flywheel O-Ring 021105279

Do I have all the necessary parts? What other items might I need, oils, lube, nuts & bolts?

For all intents and purposes, I am a noob. I can follow directions but that in no way means I possess what you guys might call auto mechanic common sense. So if you have any advice or things I have to be aware of please let me know (for example, there may be things that go on a certain way like the shaft seal, or taken off in a certain manner).

My bus was running great and I really just don't want to screw this up.

Thank you!

Last edited by ivwshane on Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:13 am; edited 4 times in total
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

I made a fuel line clamp by taking a 4" long piece of broomstick, drilled two holes through it, the holes were about 3" apart and then split the piece of broomstick in half lengthwise. Took a couple of bolts, nuts and washers, and put the curved surfaces of the stick together and thread the bolts thru the holes, secure with nuts. Tighten as required around hose.

You might consider adding a gas rated shut off valve right before your fuel filter and on the return line, makes changing the filter a cleaner job.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

Very Happy I found that taking the engine and trans out in a chunk was way easier to re-install and gave you a look at the shift seal and shift rod bushings-was just CV joints and wires away from the original attempt.

That trans jack is golden- made the job so much easier.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I'll be removing the engine from my 77 westy for the first time due to an oil leak that appeared after my trip home from death valley.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=652578&highlight=

In a previous thread the consensus seemed to point to a leaking main shaft seal. I'll be relying on ratwells guide for the actual step by step process.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EngineRemoval.html

He has a list of tools (I still need to get a fuel line clamp) and I've got everything on the list including an atv jack.

On the advice of sgkent I plan on tackling a few other bits while the engine and tranny are out such as, replacing the clutch, pilot bearing, input shaft seal, and flywheel o-ring and shifter bearings (?).

This is what I ordered to accomplish all of that (part #'s may be busdepot #'s):

Complete Clutch Kit - Upgraded Quality 028141999
Manual Transmission Main Input Shaft Seal 113311113A
Engine Crankshaft Seal 029105245
Flywheel Bolt N90226801
Shift Bushing Replacement Kit 211711211
Flywheel O-Ring 021105279

Do I have all the necessary parts? What other items might I need, oils, lube, nuts & bolts?

For all intents and purposes, I am a noob. I can follow directions but that in no way means I possess what you guys might call auto mechanic common sense. So if you have any advice or things I have to be aware of please let me know (for example, there may be things that go on a certain way like the shaft seal, or taken off in a certain manner).

My bus was running great and I really just don't want to screw this up.

Thank you!

I see you missed the flywheel gasket

http://www.busdepot.com/021105275

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

Might as well eyeball your starter bushing. If you need a new one, it's P/N: 113-301-155
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

riverside66 wrote:
Might as well eyeball your starter bushing. If you need a new one, it's P/N: 113-301-155

Absolutely! Wicked cheap part and super easy to do when its out

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

these work well. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-22850-Hose-Pincher/dp...lisle+fuel
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

Is your bus an automatic? I am guessing not, since you have a clutch.

This Flywheel Bolt N90226801 is for automatics.

What you want is 5 of these:
http://www.busdepot.com/n0143351

and one of the special 5-hole washers that goes with those,

and the pilot bearing and the felt washer that goes with it.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

Awesome! That's what I'm talking about! Thanks guys!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

Shane you should drop by and talk with me about what you want to do. Park on the street if you are dumping oil Smile

If you and a friend can get it out and haul it over in a pickup we can put a cherry picker on it, set it on some blocks, or lift it onto an engine stand to work on it. I am hesitant to make suggestions as to parts because sometimes all someone needs is sand paper, a couple new seals, and a new disk. Other times you may need some shims, new felt ring, pilot bearing, new pushrod tube seals, new starter bearing bushing, new pressure plate. If the flywheel is glazed it has to go to the machine shop. If it has heat and stress cracks it has to be replaced. You just won't know exactly what you need until you get it apart. Also if you haven't been in to the trans, now is a good time to change the trans gear lube, nose cone seal, input shaft seal and also add a metal plate to hold the mainshaft bearing in.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Shane you should drop by and talk with me about what you want to do. Park on the street if you are dumping oil Smile

If you and a friend can get it out and haul it over in a pickup we can put a cherry picker on it, set it on some blocks, or lift it onto an engine stand to work on it. I am hesitant to make suggestions as to parts because sometimes all someone needs is sand paper, a couple new seals, and a new disk. Other times you may need some shims, new felt ring, pilot bearing, new pushrod tube seals, new starter bearing bushing, new pressure plate. If the flywheel is glazed it has to go to the machine shop. If it has heat and stress cracks it has to be replaced. You just won't know exactly what you need until you get it apart. Also if you haven't been in to the trans, now is a good time to change the trans gear lube, nose cone seal, input shaft seal and also add a metal plate to hold the mainshaft bearing in.

Thanks for the offer but I'm hesitant to drive it that far. When it comes to ordering stuff I may not need, I'd rather have it than not especially if we are talking about parts that are under $20. I ordered a new clutch because I'd rather know what's in my bus and when it was changed than to wonder what I have and figuring out when it needs to be replaced.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Is your bus an automatic? I am guessing not, since you have a clutch.

This Flywheel Bolt N90226801 is for automatics.

What you want is 5 of these:
http://www.busdepot.com/n0143351

and one of the special 5-hole washers that goes with those,

and the pilot bearing and the felt washer that goes with it.

Damn! Thanks for the heads up! I would have felt so defeated had I got that far and not have had the right bolts.

Which pilot bearing do I need?
http://www.busdepot.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Pi...sort_order

Is this the felt washer you are referring to?

http://www.busdepot.com/111105311
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Thanks for the offer but I'm hesitant to drive it that far. When it comes to ordering stuff I may not need, I'd rather have it than not especially if we are talking about parts that are under $20. I ordered a new clutch because I'd rather know what's in my bus and when it was changed than to wonder what I have and figuring out when it needs to be replaced.

That’s a hell of an offer to pass up.

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Shane you should drop by and talk with me about what you want to do. Park on the street if you are dumping oil :)

I'd pull the engine and transmission as a unit and rent a truck to take that up.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
aerosurfer wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I'd pull the engine and transmission as a unit and rent a truck to take that up.

I'd buy AAA, wait out the no grace period and then tow it over filled with beer and pupus.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

When replacing the pilot bearing, do not forget to replace the felt washer and it’s spacer ring that go into the flywheel hole or you may be pulling the engine again to replace the pilot bearing that has been ruined by clutch dust.

The voice of experience has spoken.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
these work well. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-22850-Hose-Pincher/dp...lisle+fuel

Slide some fuel line on the jaws of needle nosed locking pliers as a fuel line clamp. But don't over tighten them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Slide some fuel line on the jaws of needle nosed locking pliers as a fuel line clamp. But don't over tighten them.
I’ve used these for years. I like them because you can apply them with one hand in if you can’t get 2 hands into the work space. https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-line-clamp-set-97578.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

So I started the engine drop today but due to weather I won't be able to finish.

Reading ratwells guide I do have a question which I hope you guys can answer. I plan on pulling both the engine and transmission, in ratwells guide he talks about doing both with and without the transmission, however in his pictures I only see him pulling the engine and transmission separately.

Will the engine and transmission be coming out at the same time as a single unit? If so how and where should I be supporting the whole thing? I'll be using an atv jack.

A little off topic. In his guide ratwell recommend replacing the according heater tubes with some silicone ones from a vanogan, does anyone have a link to a source for these?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

Drop it as a unit, it's much less of a battle, put the jack at the front of the sump with a little bit of it on the engine/trans seam.

Ratwell is referring to the silicone sleeves where the accordian tubes connect to the body and heater valves, your bus likely has crumbly asbestos ones now.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: