Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1st engine drop & doing some maintenance.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

Wahoo!! I got my refurbished throttle body back from whip today! One more vacuum leak taken care of.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

I got my FI harness in today from north west wiring. It came out pretty good. What do you guys think?

I like how everything is protected (you can see clear heat shrink on every metal connector and glue/sealant on the larger protective covering). The two large black connector housings also have new seals in them as well.

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: First engine drop & doing some other maintenance, help welcome! Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
my59 wrote:
aerosurfer wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
SGKent wrote:
Shane you should drop by and talk with me about what you want to do. Park on the street if you are dumping oil Smile

If you and a friend can get it out and haul it over in a pickup we can put a cherry picker on it, set it on some blocks, or lift it onto an engine stand to work on it. I am hesitant to make suggestions as to parts because sometimes all someone needs is sand paper, a couple new seals, and a new disk. Other times you may need some shims, new felt ring, pilot bearing, new pushrod tube seals, new starter bearing bushing, new pressure plate. If the flywheel is glazed it has to go to the machine shop. If it has heat and stress cracks it has to be replaced. You just won't know exactly what you need until you get it apart. Also if you haven't been in to the trans, now is a good time to change the trans gear lube, nose cone seal, input shaft seal and also add a metal plate to hold the mainshaft bearing in.

Thanks for the offer but I'm hesitant to drive it that far. When it comes to ordering stuff I may not need, I'd rather have it than not especially if we are talking about parts that are under $20. I ordered a new clutch because I'd rather know what's in my bus and when it was changed than to wonder what I have and figuring out when it needs to be replaced.

That’s a hell of an offer to pass up.

I'd pull the engine and transmission as a unit and rent a truck to take that up.

I'd buy AAA, wait out the no grace period and then tow it over filled with beer and pupus.

Aloha
tp

I’ll miss you until my time is up, tp
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

Just a small update.

I've decided to upgrade my fuel injection lines from mostly rubber to mostly steel like they are on a 78-79. I don't think I'll be able to do the hardlines to and from the fuel tank since it appears that the 78-79 tanks have angled outlets as opposed to the straight outlets on the 77.

I bought some used hardlines and I media blasted them and powder coated them with Eastwood's silver base and I think they look awesome! They look like polished aluminum as opposed to a chrome which I like.

On another note; does anyone think a noob like myself could replace the battery tray metal? I have the replacement panel but I was looking at it today and the hardest part actually looks like it's removing the old rotted metal. I don't see how I could remove the metal that's welded to the outer quarter panel skin without damaging the skin.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

I sent out my injectors and csv to cruzin performance and I got the results in. It looks like they were in a good shape and after cleaning they showed minor improvement. However, the cold start valve looks to be clogged and cleaning it didn't help.

So...I searched and there doesn't seem to be a lot of options. I can either leave it disconnected or as is (cruzin said it does hold pressure), or try to find a used one.

The threads I found, some have tried to rig something using a different model but no one seems to have found an alternative solution.

Any ideas?

Also, can a mod edit the title of my thread and remove the reference to the alternator boot?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

IVYSHane those are hard to find. Also a really old one can break. I'll look again to see if any are out there.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

Just a quick question.

What lube should I use on the transmission and where (any particular brand)? On the collar where the throwout rides? Anywhere else?

This isn't the trans I'm using.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

light coating of moly grease on the collar, and on the fingers where they touch the TO. Also very light coating on the TO face where it touches the pressure plate. Check the starter bushing, Check the fingers welded to the shaft to be sure no cracks are started. Use a light coating of moly paste on the spines and make sure the driven disk slides freely on the splines before putting things back together. I have some moly paste if you can't find a small amount. You can use moly grease in lieu of moly paste, just a light coating like a tiny smear. You don't want it flinging off and getting into the clutch.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
light coating of moly grease on the collar, and on the fingers where they touch the TO. Also very light coating on the TO face where it touches the pressure plate. Check the starter bushing, Check the fingers welded to the shaft to be sure no cracks are started. Use a light coating of moly paste on the spines and make sure the driven disk slides freely on the splines before putting things back together. I have some moly paste if you can't find a small amount. You can use moly grease in lieu of moly paste, just a light coating like a tiny smear. You don't want it flinging off and getting into the clutch.

So I understand what you mean by grease on the collar and on the TO face and on the splines.

I don't understand what you mean by on the "fingers" where they touch the TO face or the fingers welded to the shaft.

Keep in mind that this is a rebuilt transmission by Eric long, so there is a new bushing installed already.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

the cross shaft has two long fingers/arms on it that the TO clamps to. As the cross shaft moves the TO rotates a little on it. Just a light dab at each spot where the TO sits on an arm/finger.

Those fingers/arms are welded to the cross shaft. Sometimes those welds break. Make sure there are no cracks started in those welds.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the cross shaft has two long fingers/arms on it that the TO clamps to. As the cross shaft moves the TO rotates a little on it. Just a light dab at each spot where the TO sits on an arm/finger.

Those fingers/arms are welded to the cross shaft. Sometimes those welds break. Make sure there are no cracks started in those welds.

Gotcha! Thanks
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

Alright, I'm almost finished with the shift bushings and other shifter refurbishing but while I was under the bus I noticed my steering box has a leak. I don't remember how my steering felt but I don't recall it being super sloppy. I've read a lot of steering box threads and I'm a little overwhelmed. If I understand what I read correctly then these late boxes aren't rebuildable but the seal (and one other part) can be replaced.

Does this leak look pretty common and will a new seal take care of it? What's the difficulty of doing this?

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

you need a new rubber puck, and rebuild the box. I don't have seals any more but if you get the box off you can bring it over some sunny day because my glass bead machine is outdoors, and we can clean and rebuild it. You'll need to get seals first. Much of the dark wax like debris on it is Cosmoline which is a protectant, but it is leaking. If we rebuild the box you take full responsibility for it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=371710&highlight=steering+box

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

Your steering flex coupling needs to be replaced as well. Buy a decent quality one.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Your steering flex coupling needs to be replaced as well. Buy a decent quality one.

I was planning on it but what's a decent one? I thought they were all Chinese crap?
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
you need a new rubber puck, and rebuild the box. I don't have seals any more but if you get the box off you can bring it over some sunny day because my glass bead machine is outdoors, and we can clean and rebuild it. You'll need to get seals first. Much of the dark wax like debris on it is Cosmoline which is a protectant, but it is leaking. If we rebuild the box you take full responsibility for it.

Thank you. Can I replace the seals with it on? I haven't checked the Bentley but is there a removal procedure I can follow? All the threads I've read talk about rebuilding it after its removed. Do you have part #'s for the seals?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Thank you. Can I replace the seals with it on? I haven't checked the Bentley but is there a removal procedure I can follow? All the threads I've read talk about rebuilding it after its removed. Do you have part #'s for the seals?

I bought several 5'ish years back so haven't kept up on who has them today. I know that German Supply used to carry them, but who knows at this point. You could try sources like CB Performance, Go Westy, and Van Cafe. A call to Bus Depot might let you know the quality of the various ones they offer, I would hope the $17 one would be OEM quality.

The same part is used on Buses, Vanagons, and other VW products of the era.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

Slowest engine maintenance thread ever!!

When I originally dropped the engine I didn’t plan on tackling the hole left by the dealership for the A/C but since dropping it I’ve increased my skills and now I’ve decided to tackle it myself.

I did the battery tray already and it looks good from above but it’s definitely not my best work. I’m hoping to learn from my mistakes though.

So far I’ve got the replacement piece mocked up. The gaps are a little bigger than I wanted but I think I’ll be able to deal with them. It was a little nerve racking cutting the original metal and the replacement piece since the replacement piece cost a pretty penny.

Anyway, here is where I’m at. Next up will be to media blast the replacement part and wire wheel the original metal and then weld them in.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

My engine is about done but I’m contemplating putting in new fuel injectors. Mine were cleaned and inspected by cruzin but three were original and one was an aftermarket one.

In the future I’ll be refurbishing the distributor and I really want to figure out how to refurbish the coil. The body has been blasted and painted and I know there are even replacement stickers available but it’s the cap thats really bothering me.

Sadly I’m still working on the heat exchangers.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st engine drop & doing some maintenance. Alternator boot? Reply with quote

The easiest fix for the A/C butcher job IMO is to use a 411/412 left rear corner tin and then make a flat fill piece for where the A/C hump has been cut out.

As a side benefit it also makes pulling the engine a little bit faster and easier.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: