Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I Got My Bentley!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

I realize this is a weird thing to be so excited about but I finally bought the VW Bible everyone always raves about and let me just say, If the quality of information and instructions are as clear and quality as the print and pictures in this book then I’m going to be kicking myself for not buying it sooner.

•’67 Type I mostly original semi daily driver (temperature permitting 🔥☀️)
•’74 Type I work in progress.
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

When I saw your topic I thought you got one of these -- Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Seriously, I bought a new Bentley manual for $80 in 2004. I've never handled it with oily fingers. It's still as clean looking as when I bought it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

It’s not that great. I have them because I like old pictures. Nothing in there that isn’t on thesamba, specs.
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

jason wrote:
It’s not that great. I have them because I like old pictures. Nothing in there that isn’t on thesamba, specs.

Randall wrote:
When I saw your topic I thought you got one of these --

Seriously, I bought a new Bentley manual for $80 in 2004. I've never handled it with oily fingers. It's still as clean looking as when I bought it.

Randall, are you saying you just take that good care of it because you paid so much (I paid $25 incl. shipping for a used hardbound copy in NEW condition) or are you raining on my parade like Jason here? Lol! 😆

I love the Samba too. But sometimes it’s easier to refer to a book with an index than sift thru old posts or wait for a response. One that offen times says something like “In the Bentley manual it says...” So I’m excited ti have a Bentley to add to my Muir, Haynes, and Chilton that came with the car.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

I wrote my own book Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

I got a Bentley around two Christmas' ago. Great book, but about 1 week after I got it, my dog chewed the corner of the cover. No pages were messed up, but it sucked. I hold that thing on a pedestal. It's on my list of things you NEED when you have a VW.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

Not sure what one you got, but the big dark blue one is good for weeks and weeks of study and reading. Doesnt cover ball joint beams, but a lot of body stuff
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Not sure what one you got, but the big dark blue one is good for weeks and weeks of study and reading. Doesnt cover ball joint beams, but a lot of body stuff

I got the orange one for the ‘74 T1 that I’m currently working on. Looking forward to using it.

jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

Yes the Bentley manuals are a valuable source of information. You will be very happy having it to use when working on your VW.
The Without Guess Work books are also a valuable tool too. If you want to see what they look like they are in the Technical section on this site.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

I used mine so much that it started to fall apart and I bought another copy just to look at when I'm bored. Sad but true. Laughing

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

just be warned, the bently isant always right Shocked
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
just be warned, the bently isant always right Shocked
In regards to???
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

things that arnt right. some stuff in the transmission section arnt and probably more sections too.I have about 4 different manuls that i go through to get more info than just 1 sorce that may or may not be clear or correct. no Im not pissing on the bently it is better than the others in may aspects.but....being a certified tech for a few diferent manufactures the bently manuyls are....about as good as my spelling Shocked perhaps it's in the translation &syntax. the chitlens is about the worst Ive seen...although I have a chitlens from 69 or 70 and it's much better than the one from 75 or so. keep an eye out for any manul that covers what ever you work on and do not rely on just 1.as that may lead you astray ... some manuals are a copy of other manuals some have diferent ways to do the same thing , and some leave out what you need to do...or tell you to take it to the dealer, WTF???or just spicfiy the service tool that you do not have...the bently is very good but it's not all thats needed.
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
things that arnt right. some stuff in the transmission section arnt and probably more sections too.

Whoa! Stop! That is way too specific. Laughing
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

I have had several Bentley manuals, blue and orange, since the late 80s. They were the VW Bibles in the shop I worked at. Several years ago, I finally had to repurchase the Orange book again. This time I bought the hard coverd one. And like Mark mentioned. I had to go through my new one and input my notes on all of the wonky information within those pages. Watch out, some of those torque specs in the suspension section are wrong. I got the right numbers from VW Technical Service Bullerins, from the last 40 plus years!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

is there a sticky some where that lists the mistakes/corrections for the Bently manuals?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

Bentley assumes you are working on a fairly new car using OEM parts, for years and still occasionally people freak out over such things as adjustment of master cylinder push rod. Bentley cautions against altering the rod.

The other shortcoming may be no mention of interchangeability, how to mix various years of parts for better performance. In the real world we now have non stock parts and mixed year cars “ frankenbugs” running the streets. However for bone stock cars it’s the go to book and I like it. If you are going to get one look for older copy as newer ones do not have color coded wiring diagrams.

I’ve seen used ones in good shape selling for 10 to 20 dollars. Years ago I took my Bentley over to kinkos and got it spiral bound, now it lays flat for easier reading.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

I bought my Bentley about 8 years ago used from Ebay.

To be honest, I've only used it a few times, mostly for the color wiring stuff. When I resurrected my 1970 last year, when I rebuilt the engine I primarily referenced my old Clymer repair manual, even though all its pages are loose now.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I bought my Bentley about 8 years ago used from Ebay.

To be honest, I've only used it a few times, mostly for the color wiring stuff. When I resurrected my 1970 last year, when I rebuilt the engine I primarily referenced my old Clymer repair manual, even though all its pages are loose now.

Cuss,
If I had to choose only one strictly for engine rebuild it would be Tom Wilson book. Loaded w/ pics and the interchange section casting number breakdown. More user friendly I thought
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I Got My Bentley! Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
things that arnt right. some stuff in the transmission section arnt and probably more sections too.I have about 4 different manuls that i go through to get more info than just 1 sorce that may or may not be clear or correct. no Im not pissing on the bently it is better than the others in may aspects.but....being a certified tech for a few diferent manufactures the bently manuyls are....about as good as my spelling Shocked perhaps it's in the translation &syntax. the chitlens is about the worst Ive seen...although I have a chitlens from 69 or 70 and it's much better than the one from 75 or so. keep an eye out for any manul that covers what ever you work on and do not rely on just 1.as that may lead you astray ... some manuals are a copy of other manuals some have diferent ways to do the same thing , and some leave out what you need to do...or tell you to take it to the dealer, WTF???or just spicfiy the service tool that you do not have...the bently is very good but it's not all thats needed.

Maybe that's why I collect manuals... Bentley, Muir, Chilton, Clymer, Haynes, Scientific, Elfrink, Wilson... none have it all. I consult "the committee" rather than "the guru" before I try a new job. And then there's google/youtube.

Best beginner combo is Muir and Bentley... two ends of the spectrum cover it pretty well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: