Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW airboat HELP Pictures added
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW airboat HELP Pictures added Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
oldstuckinthemud wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Your distributor is plumbed backwards, the hose on the side facing away from the distributor goes on the nipple on the left side of the carb, leave the port facing the distributor open and cap that line coming off the back of the carb.

Really.
I was using the hoses off the old carb and put them back on the new carb by size they where located in a little different place I thought but the hoses fit. That would be why my attempt to time it did not work well and I set it by ear.
Thanks I'll it open on the distributor and pinch it off at the carb I'll bet that will help.
Is there anything else you can see I have wrong ?
Never even looked at a VW motor before running blind here.

You're timing it wrong...read busdaddy's "sermon" on timing, here! https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=691429&highlight=sermon

Oh yeah...and STOP YELLING Razz

He's not yelling! (typing with ALL CAPITAL LETTERS)
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW airboat HELP Pictures added Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Busstom wrote:
oldstuckinthemud wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Your distributor is plumbed backwards, the hose on the side facing away from the distributor goes on the nipple on the left side of the carb, leave the port facing the distributor open and cap that line coming off the back of the carb.

Really.
I was using the hoses off the old carb and put them back on the new carb by size they where located in a little different place I thought but the hoses fit. That would be why my attempt to time it did not work well and I set it by ear.
Thanks I'll it open on the distributor and pinch it off at the carb I'll bet that will help.
Is there anything else you can see I have wrong ?
Never even looked at a VW motor before running blind here.

You're timing it wrong...read busdaddy's "sermon" on timing, here! https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=691429&highlight=sermon

Oh yeah...and STOP YELLING Razz

He's not yelling! (typing with ALL CAPITAL LETTERS)

I agree, but would larger then normal bold type be considered speaking loudly? Razz At least it's capitalized where necessary and has fairly good punctuation, and you don't need a Mark Tucker decoder ring to figure out what he's saying. Works for me. Very Happy

That distributor may be of some small value to a person seeking an original engine compartment, the retard isn't going to be any use on an airboat, this is one of those rare situations where a mechanical advance only unit like the 009 would actually work well. Perhaps contact member Wcfw69 or Tasb and see if they have something for sale and will consider yours as a partial trade. The 28-32 BTDC maximum advance (hoses off in your case) I mention in that sermon is the critical number you are looking for, you can remove the prop or chain to reach that RPM if you have to. Use that pulley ID chart that's linked in it to find your TDC and print a paper degree wheel if you don't have a dial advance timing light.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: VW airboat HELP Pictures added Reply with quote

OK, I have to ask, How in the Hell do you set the timing with that prop spinning
around, I'm confused Very Happy
oldstuckinthemud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW airboat HELP Pictures added Reply with quote

The prop is in the back remember not near the timing end of the motor

Quote:
That distributor may be of some small value to a person seeking an original engine compartment, the retard isn't going to be any use on an airboat, this is one of those rare situations where a mechanical advance only unit like the 009 would actually work well. Perhaps contact member Wcfw69 or Tasb and see if they have something for sale and will consider yours as a partial trade. The 28-32 BTDC maximum advance (hoses off in your case) I mention in that sermon is the critical number you are looking for, you can remove the prop or chain to reach that RPM if you have to. Use that pulley ID chart that's linked in it to find your TDC and print a paper degree wheel if you don't have a dial advance timing light.

I can get the rpm with the prop on but it is very disturbing to have it running that close to you I'll pull it off and try what you said
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW airboat HELP Pictures added Reply with quote

oldstuckinthemud wrote:
YES

Oh, sorrrrrry fisher....I guess he was only YELLING in ^^^^ this ^^^^ post. Rolling Eyes
I'll be verrrrry careful not to breach electronic etiquette when you're around Wink
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: VW airboat HELP Pictures added Reply with quote

I agree that this is a rare case where a 009 distributor might work. But you can run it as described in a SVDA configuration, and it would work fine. But with the advance and retard sides both hooked up backwards, it would run like crap. You wouldn't get any spark advance at all.

And your prop is on the front of the engine Laughing
oldstuckinthemud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VW airboat HELP Pictures added Reply with quote

Ok , thanks.
I re plumbed the distributor as directed.
I used the * print out , worked great.
I found TDS on #1 marked it and took off the prop.
I fired it up with the timing light on it.
Ran it up to 3500 rpm and twisted the distributor till I hit
the stud that was used to hold the old manual fuel pump( I have it capped off ) Not quite to the 28* mark with the vacuum line off.
I was able to cut the stub off some to let the distb. turn farther.
I set it to 28* clamped it down, and put the vac line back on.
Put the prop back on and...
PERFICT I now have enough HP to turn the prop up to the required 3100rpm.
That's all but t is right on 3900 rpm on the motor and holds . Nice.
I have a very short Video of the boat moving , on the snow.
Still lots of work todo like some way to steer , cage ext...
Thanks Thanks Thanks.

Link
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VW airboat HELP Pictures added Reply with quote

Is the vacuum can still pointed to the belt? If everything is right it should be on the side away from the belt. You might have the plug wires shifted over one spot. It shouldn't be hitting the fuel pump boss.

But glad you're making progress. A property set up distributor makes a world of difference in performance.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VW airboat HELP Pictures added Reply with quote

Yeah, the vacuum can should be facing pretty well straight back (or forward in your case) when it's timed properly, as suggested move all the plug wires one hole CCW.

Good to hear it's getting close and runs better.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: VW airboat HELP Pictures added Reply with quote

Neat Project.... seeing as you are pulling air over the motor and the fan is trying to suck air in from that stream of air.. I would build a duct covering rear fan area come up and over top of shroud and face forward.. that way it gets air.. and I bet it will free up a few ponys as right now the way you have it set up.. its trying to pull air in from a vacuum.. and that is harder on the system.. then forcing air in..
oldstuckinthemud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: VW airboat HELP Pictures added Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
Neat Project.... seeing as you are pulling air over the motor and the fan is trying to suck air in from that stream of air.. I would build a duct covering rear fan area come up and over top of shroud and face forward.. that way it gets air.. and I bet it will free up a few ponys as right now the way you have it set up.. its trying to pull air in from a vacuum.. and that is harder on the system.. then forcing air in..

I do have it covered and air intake scoops to the front of the boat .
Does it hurt anything with the distributor one off? Plenty of room now, I'm not using the fuel pump I have an electric pump mounted else where.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: VW airboat HELP Pictures added Reply with quote

Well, if the position of the distributor won't allow you to turn it far enough to time it correctly, then yes the position of the distributor does matter. But if you have the room to get the timing set, then no, it doesn't really matter much.

BUT, some distributors have the #3 cylinder retarded a couple of degrees to make that cylinder run a little bit cooler. So, if you have one of those distributor then yes, it could matter.

Offical answer, it depends.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
oldstuckinthemud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: VW airboat HELP Pictures added Reply with quote

HUMM Maybe after I get things all going I'll move it around, thanks.

Another question, if you all don't mind.

What kind of RPM can I expect to be able to run the 1600 at all day?
I have to get it up to about 4500 rpm to get the belt clutch to move all the way in to its running position ( 1x1 ish) but then I can drop down to around 3500/ 3200 rpm If I'm really loaded down or against a big wind will I hurt anything to run her around 4000 for an hours solid ?

Thanks for all the Information it has been a god send...
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: VW airboat HELP Pictures added Reply with quote

Here are owners manuals for industrial engines....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/industrial.php

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: