Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto-craft valve train....what would you do?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

I pulled my rocker shaft on the 1-2 side in order to shim the play between the rocker arms when I found the shell on #2 intake rocker needle bearing was broken. Fortunately the small piece of the bearing shell that broke off was still right there next to where it came from.

What's the advice of those of you who know? Can the needle bearing in that rocker be replaced? Would you go with different rockers?

The 2276 has 3k miles on it. It's never been hot....over 210F on my temp gauge. Runs perfectly.

The only reason I found this was that #2 had slightly more valve lash noise when warmed up set on preloaded loose zero, so I thought I'd check for rocker arm side to side play.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

The needle bearing can be pressed out and a new one pressed in.

But...

Autocraft made forged and cast style rocker arms.
I think those are the cast style.. not the best. Maybe time to upgraydd.

Nice ARPM case you have there. I run one too, bulletproof.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

What would you consider an upgrade? I don't see that Autocraft even offers rocker arms anymore on there website. Ive emailed them but haven't heard back. The engine was built back in the early 2000s by "Enginemasters" in southern California.

Last edited by norris on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

Those are cool rockers for the time but theres no oil flow going to those bearings. Get some cb rockers of same ratio and you wont even have to switch pushrods, and you will get full time oiling.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

I just got off of the phone with Autocraft....nice dude. He's sending me a couple of bearings and side play shims, but I'll look into the CB rockers.
How can I determine the ratio of the Autocraft rockers that I have?

Last edited by norris on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

Im no expert but the only way I know how to measure rockers is to measure lift at the valve and compare it to the lift at the cam. Do you know what cam is in the motor?
1997 Jeep Cherokee
2127cc build thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681556&highlight=
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

I had some Autocraft rockers that looked the same several years ago. I had a few bearings fail, but never like that. Finally one bearing went, and it galled the rocker arm, and I retired them. When I found Samba, I read that they were not long lived, because they did not have a good oil supply. Maybe, with hoover mods to the oil system they would do better.
Curious about the cage breaking on the side, maybe there is something loading the rocker on one side?
SD
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

To me its not worth running them. Even if getting parts for free, the time and trouble is not worth it. Your just on borrowed time till the next issue happens, so why not go for a improvement now? You need to run more sideplay, per muffler mike he mentioned .015 so they can actually get oil splash inside. Then you get extra noise and issues like you just had as the bearing cage gets banged around from the sideplay.

If you get the replacement parts, you have a cool item that I think would sell easily. I sold my Pauters for exactly this reason.

I would prefer bushings with full time oil, as compared to rollers with no pressure oil.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
To me its not worth running them. Even if getting parts for free, the time and trouble is not worth it. Your just on borrowed time till the next issue happens, so why not go for a improvement now? You need to run more sideplay, per muffler mike he mentioned .015 so they can actually get oil splash inside. Then you get extra noise and issues like you just had as the bearing cage gets banged around from the sideplay.

If you get the replacement parts, you have a cool item that I think would sell easily. I sold my Pauters for exactly this reason.

I would prefer bushings with full time oil, as compared to rollers with no pressure oil.

Agreed. I'll check into the CB rockers. I have an Engle fk8 cam. I'm not sure how to measure/figure the ratio that I have?

I had .005-.008 clearance between rockers and stands. Thought I'd tighten it up a bit, but now understand that maybe I should replace instead.
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

If your running an Fk8 you should have 1.4 to one rockers. I would put money on it.

The way you would measure would be to install the rockers and turn over the engine by hand while measuring the actual valve lift at the retainer. You will need a dial indicator and some type of mount to do this. The FK8 specs are .382" Cam Lift, .534" Valve Lift with 1.4 Rockers. So .382" of lift at the cam multiplied by 1.4 equals .534" of lift at the valve. If for some reason if you have 1.25 rockers you would only get .478" of lift. But like i said the FK8 is always used with 1.4 rockers. If you have 1.25 rockers get 1.4's and redo the valvetrain geometry.
1997 Jeep Cherokee
2127cc build thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681556&highlight=
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

I don't have a dial gauge....guess I need to get one.
Is anyone familiar with Autocraft rockers that could tell the ratio by looking?
I seem to remember an early post that had pics of the Autocraft rockers comparing the ratios but can't find it now.

clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

norris wrote:
I pulled my rocker shaft on the 1-2 side in order to shim the play between the rocker arms when I found the shell on #2 intake rocker needle bearing was broken. Fortunately the small piece of the bearing shell that broke off was still right there next to where it came from.

What's the advice of those of you who know? Can the needle bearing in that rocker be replaced? Would you go with different rockers?

The 2276 has 3k miles on it. It's never been hot....over 210F on my temp gauge. Runs perfectly.

The only reason I found this was that #2 had slightly more valve lash noise when warmed up set on preloaded loose zero, so I thought I'd check for rocker arm side to side play.

Look at your pushrod cup adjuster in the picture...it looks like it has some wear or galling going on too.

It also seems the valve side has wear happening too.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
jpaull
Samba Member

To find out the rocker ratio:

length of the valve side of the rocker arm to the center (or pivot point) of the rocker arm divided by the length of the Pushrod side to the center of the rocker arm.

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

Here: you can measure the rocker with your calipers and get a close measurement. Of course, how it measures on the head might be different, but this will tell you if they are 1.25 or 1.4
I was checking some old bugpack rockers:

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

IMHO, you are going to want to know what ratio your rockers are giving you in actual use.
No matter what rockers you use, or what ratio they say, you are going to want to know In Real Life what they deliver.
Too much variation in manufacturing the various parts involved here to leave it up to theory..

I have a set of those too.
On a motor that just spit a lash cap and bent a valve... Rolling Eyes
(1-2 side, as you might guess)

Still haven't had it apart yet to do a failure analysis; still too mad.
Just circumstantial evidence,
Take it FWIW,
But,
I always hated how much slop there was in those needle rollers.
The pads seem to wear flats in them really quickly, too.

The 'thrust angle' of the pushrods on a type 1,
Not being square to the lifter bore,
Seems ripe to play hell with not-well-pressure-oiled shafts..

What’s That Noise?!?
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

What is the actual lift going to tell him? Get some 1.4’s or 1.3’s and see if they are set up right if not then do. Dont need to waste time if not going to be used. My brother had a set, seemed to wear super fast. They look like 1.4’s to me.
pondervwmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

Just get 1.4's thats what is supposed to work with an FK-8.
1997 Jeep Cherokee
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

Finding out what he has first is wise.

If he has 1:4's now for sure, then he doesnt need to get new pushrods. If he finds out he has something other then 1:4's, he needs to get new pushrods.

norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

My measurement was 1.412 so I must have 1.4s.

Now I'll try to decide on which rockers. Fortunately I'm not on a budget. Just wish I had more experience! Are the forged CBs about as good as they come?
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

norris wrote:

Now I'll try to decide on which rockers. Fortunately I'm not on a budget.

CB or BERG (if you're not on a budget and like really high quality parts)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: