Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Auto-craft valve train....what would you do?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

It's just the oil on top of the edge of the retainer.....they fit perfectly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Just me or do those retainers not fit the springs?

That's actually a good point.

Was always taught by Mr. Berg that the retainers must be tight to the spring.
(Captive)

However,

The last set of singles I got from ac.net,
The spring was 'bigger enough' that it didn't fit the retainer tightly..

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

norris wrote:
No time to get an exact measurement of lift at valve. I'm expecting the .519 at the valve that I got with the worn out dial gauge earlier in the thread.

I'll have more time tomorrow.

If you could try to get a lift measurement for both sides of the rocker;
One valve side, one cam side.
On a couple of holes, too, to see how much variation, and get a better 'average' measurement.

Would be useful to know what the 1.25 Autocrafts actually deliver..

That's a nice wipe pattern on the lash cap there, BTW.
Shows that the geometry has one part of it that was right for sure.

What’s That Noise?!?
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

Well, I cannot get a good measurement with a dial gauge on the left side....to many oil cooler/filter hoses. I could take them off, but I'll have the right side temporarily back together tomorrow night and I'll do it then.

Did get the oil pump back on.....no leaks, but then again, there's no pressure 😉. I'll wait on reinstalling the headers and tins until I can measure valve and cam lift at the adjusters. Sure would have been nice to find some info on the cam!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

Got my Autocraft valve train back together tonight. The new bearing was a little different than the original but it pressed into the rocker arm fine and fits the shaft like the originals.
I adjusted them up, made some lift measurements and sent them to Jeff. He believes the CB 1.3s will fit just fine....so I'll order them tonight. The cam appears to be similar to an Engle 100.

I have to say that I do wish the Autocrafts had worked out just to keep it all old school. I just can't risk more rocker arm bearings coming apart.

I'll report back after I get the CB 1.3s installed and running.

Thanks for all of the advice and a special thanks to Jeff.....I'm learning a lot fast....hopefully I can "pay it forward" someday!
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

Its easy to help people that work hard with only requesting the information necessary.

There are so many people that type questions all day without putting effort to check anything(not even using search function). They just sit back at the keyboard all day waiting for others to do the work for them.

Gotta love a guy like Norris, takes a tiny bit of info and working like crazy to find a way to make things work and do it right.

That cam has the effect of a 110 with 1.1's, CB2236 with 1.25s, and could even be a cam like a FK7 that was meant for 1.4's, but for some reason got 1.25s.

If you wanted to be double sure about everything, you could adjust your intake about .020-.025 past zero effectively giving your cam that much more lift to match the 1.3's, and ever so slightly turn the engine over at the crank pulley making sure you have piston/valve clearance.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

So, I would add .025 to my loose zero lash adjustment on an intake valve....then slowly turn the engine over at the crank, feeling/listening for piston to valve interference with intake valve at full lift and piston at the top of compression stroke?
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

Yes, slowly and carefully😊😊
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

norris wrote:
So, I would add .025 to my loose zero lash adjustment on an intake valve....then slowly turn the engine over at the crank, feeling/listening for piston to valve interference with intake valve at full lift and piston at the top of compression stroke?

If your cam is as mild as we think and the heads have not been flycut much you should not have a problem. Big duration and flycut heads is what creates the clearance problem. Count the ## of big fins on the heads. If the engines power band is sane you probably don't have a real big cam. Duration not lift is what creates the problem and going from 1.25 to 1.3 rockers will not be a problem.

Dan
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

Jeff, I added .025 to the lift at the adjuster....slowly/carefully turned the crank until the valve was fully lifted and the piston on top of the compression stroke and there was no interference between valve and piston.

Dan, there are 8 big fins on my heads.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

norris wrote:
Jeff, I added .025 to the lift at the adjuster....slowly/carefully turned the crank until the valve was fully lifted and the piston on top of the compression stroke and there was no interference between valve and piston.

Dan, there are 8 big fins on my heads.

With heads flycut a lot you will loose one of those fins. You are fine. Eight fins is standard.
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

Cool....thanks Dan
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

Awesome,

You have some piece of mind, and did all the checking possible without pulling the engine apart. You should be AOK

norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

The CB 1.3s are on their way.
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

Not to beat a dead horse, but I forgot to post a pic of the cam gear.
Anyone know who built the cam gear?.....might lead me to who built the cam

oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

It is a Dial-in Cam no longer made. Bob Walters patent. He also modified other manufactures Grinds to fit his gear. W3700 does not conform to the Dial-in-Cam catalog I have. Yours has been set at 1 deg advanced but can be set up to 4 deg advanced, or at Zero straight up, or up to 4 deg retarded.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:
It is a Dial-in Cam no longer made. Bob Walters patent. He also modified other manufactures Grinds to fit his gear. W3700 does not conform to the Dial-in-Cam catalog I have. Yours has been set at 1 deg advanced but can be set up to 4 deg advanced, or at Zero straight up, or up to 4 deg retarded.

Thank you! I really appreciate the information.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

I forgot to add this but maybe you can use it in the future. Bob made several versions of the gear other than stock. He made a 15 deg Helical instead of the stock 20 deg helical which allowed less thrust on the cam bearing, this was before straight cut tooth gears we have now do similiar thing. His 15 deg cam used a matching 15 deg crank gear. He also had a narrow gear version and a center groove cut gear. You would not be able to tell what exact config you have now but for in the future you might want to make a note of it if the cam was still good enough to save.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

I've made notes on this in my "book".
Appreciate it oldschool5er
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-craft valve train....what would you do? Reply with quote

older timers simply used to use 36hp cam/crank gears for less thrust (less gear pitch), when the gear sets were virtually free.

At Aircooled.Net we even sold them in sets for around 10 years before we ran out of our stock.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: