Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WWII era Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

I don't think it's anything like that. My having done business with them for several years argues against that thought. However I'm pretty sure there's a notable language barrier at work at least with some of the staff there of late. Most of the responses I've gotten in the past year or two would support that thought. Every time I threw the BS flag when I got their out of office message, I then got a real response...clearly from someone else higher in the food chain there. With that said, I can say is that I've uniformly been satisfied with their products and return policy. Their split material is good...and uniformly better than that which is available domestically. Turnaround time on orders can take months however. I totally agree that they need to clean up their correspondence act if current practices are becoming pervasive. That's a completely avoidable, self-inflicted wound that no business can afford for long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

Mike, Thanks for the encouragement. How do I throw the BS flag ? I re-sent my request practically begging for Sam ( or whoever ) to reconsider taking my order so I can move ahead on my project. Gene
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

I recommend a bluntly worded message at this point expressing your dissatisfaction with their responsiveness...or lack thereof Indicate too that this is getting noticed and talked about by members of the samba community forums which can't help their business reputation either. No need to be rude, but when I specifically called them out about their weird behavior, I got a response every time. More often than not when I responded to their response, I'd get that goofy message right back. It hasn't always been like this, but I've always gotten fast service once I got the order acknowledged by them. I still think it's an unsuitable staffing situation at their end that's at the bottom of this situation.
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

Second Air Force wrote:
Here's a photo of Typ numbers when the British had control. I nipped this from Etzold's volume 2 of Beetle Chronicles. (It does say 83 when you see the image in person, sorta looks like 85 in the photo).
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then it's officially settled. Type 83 it is Very Happy

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

Just sent a carefully worded somewhat strong e-mail to Sam Steele mentioning the chatter on thesamba about the excellent quality of his parts and the disappointment that he is so difficult to do business with. I guess I'll either 1) be ignored, 2) actually get the order processed, 3) or told to try again next month ! Gene
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

Update on Sam Steel, episode 6. Taking bakersam's advice, my somewhat strongly worded e-mail expressing my disappointment with their business practice of blowing off order requests with " order again next month............." I finally got an apology asking me to update my order so they could provide cost, shipping info and a shipping date. Encouraging, but I'll believe it when I see the order on my front porch ! Gene
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

Hi Gene,

Congratulations! It sounds like you should get a tracking number shortly. Then all you can do is sit back and wait a couple of weeks for delivery.

Sam
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

I assume they'll want to be paid before they ship ? I'm waiting with guarded optimism ! Gene
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

Of course. They'll need your address and phone number before shipping too. Payment via Paypal works fine. Nothing happens without cash on the barrel head first.
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

I had planned to use Paypal as the safest way, never having done business with him before. Just hope they're not jerking me around after all the previous aggravation. Thanks for your encouragement, Gene
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

Not to worry. I've dealt with them for years without a problem. Once you give them the requisite shipping information and make full payment, you'll get a registered mail tracking number. You can track it on the USPS tracking website once it enters the system. This won't give you a minute by minute track, but will assure you that its on its way through all the hassles and bureaucracy of international mail. Be patient...it takes time to work its way through the two postal systems.
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

And patience it will be ! Thanks once again, Gene
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

just the bar will not work... the shapes are very different.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

Gene,

Just received my shipment from Spain. For your own planning purposes, here's the time line for what you may expect:

1. Sent my payment on February 6th which Steel acknowledged the same day
2. They shipped and sent the tracking number of February 8th
3. Package arrived today, February 23rd.

Regards,

Sam
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

Sam, I'm glad you are having good results with Sam Steele, me, not so much ! After the initial shock and novelty of actually getting a response from him, things seem to have gone back to square one. Couple of days ago he requested that I " update references " so he could give me a total price and shipping date, which I did. His response the next day was the same old " try again in March ". Don't know where to go from here. I agree with you that there is a language issue involved but not how to deal with it. Would you be so kind as to let me know what wording you used so I can try to get through without pissing him off ? Thanks, Gene
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

Gene, Just sent you a PM. No point in being rude with them, but clearly stating what's specifically irritating you may help to cut through the haze of a poorly rendered translation at the other end. Best I can suggest. BTW...the repop split "T" air filter I received is absolutely first rate.
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

Sam, Got your PM and once again appreciate your help. I know his products are first rate which is the only reason I keep trying, just don't know how he can stay in business if this is the way he handles his customers. I don't expect an answer from him, if he bothers to answer, until Monday at the earliest. Once again, I'll keep my fingers crossed. What I need most is a Split dash clip and he appears to be the only one in the world making one new. I would expect there would be a fairly good market for just that one item ? Regards, Gene
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

Gene, There's at least two if not three on the samba now. Have you checked those out?
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

Sam, I have been following the ones listed here and I'm considering one that seems to be in reasonable shape but pretty pricey, but since the one that Sam Steele makes doesn't seem to be available to the general public, I may not have any other choice. I thought I would wait for the next response from repuestossam and if it seems hopeless, I'll make an offer on the one listed here. regards, Gene
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: WWII era Beetle Reply with quote

Gene, That sounds like a good idea. Don't forget to add another $100+ onto the one from Spain for shipping. I forget how much I paid for mine, but the shipping is a factor worth weaving into your choice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: