Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

RMW or SC Subaru Conversion Kit preference in 2018
Rocky Mountain
64%
 64%  [ 22 ]
Small Car
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Other
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 34

brodyjdavis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

I know there is another thread and reams of info available on the topic but I couldnt find a consolidated and up-to-date comparison between the two options.

Both companies have undoubtedly done through changes over the years they have offered these kits and I'm looking to hear from any experienced owners/mechanics that have recently dealt with either or both.

What did you like/dislike?
What would information would you like someone in the market today to know?

Present-day Rocky Mountain Westy or Small Car Performance Subaru Conversion Kits, whats your preference and why?
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

They are both great.

I use 2/3 of SC part for my conversions and I make the rest.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brodyjdavis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:
They are both great.

Ben

Interesting, and thanks for chiming in! I'm curious which 1/3 you decide to not use in favor of parts of your own making?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

Don't forget RJES

http://rjes.com

He has a real nice custom bell housing that doesn't have the funky inside the bell slave cylinder like SC.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
brodyjdavis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Don't forget RJES

He has a real nice custom bell housing that doesn't have the funky inside the bell slave cylinder like SC.

Would love to know more about these guys. I have to say, that website navigation leaves a lot of room for improvement.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

Vanaru has a kit but they only offer it to installer shops

http://www.vanaru.com/contactmap.htm

So you can't purchase a turnkey kit. I had Keith in Staunton, VA (installer/vendor) do some work and saw a kit he had just finished installing. Man it is a clean install. I thought I was going to go FAS route but the Vanaru kit has me thinking.
brodyjdavis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

elizer wrote:

So you can't purchase a turnkey kit. I had Keith in Staunton, VA (installer/vendor) do some work and saw a kit he had just finished installing. Man it is a clean install. I thought I was going to go FAS route but the Vanaru kit has me thinking.

Interesting, but not ideal for us midwest Vanners if we want to work with a local shop.
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

Vanaru - get's my vote...

I've had someone do a Small Car conversion for me, bought a Westy with a Kennedy kit in it, and then did my own conversion using the Vanaru kit and it was by far the best of the three.

I was one of the last private parties that Vanaru sold to before switching sales to authorized shops only.

Heard good things about the RMW kit but have no first hand experience with it. It's a different engine mount than the Small Car and the Vanaru engine mount.
RichBenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

From what I’ve heard and experienced, on an absolute quality and support scale, RMW wins. On a value scale, due to lower cost, Smallcar wins. I did a Smallcar one before the bellhousing came out. It works well, and I had no problems with the header, like some have. Of course when people have problems, they often post over and over and can make the numbers appear worse than they really are.

OTOH, you don’t seem to find negative posts on RMW. That says a lot.
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

RichBenn wrote:

OTOH, you don’t seem to find negative posts on RMW. That says a lot.

Same goes for the Vanaru kit. I've never came across negative posts on the Vanaru kit.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

brodyjdavis wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:
Don't forget RJES

Would love to know more about these guys. I have to say, that website navigation leaves a lot of room for improvement.

Yes, his site is not the best, but he gets great reviews.
Being that he's in England you will hear more about his stuff on the 80-90 forum. Do a search there.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
boravr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

Voted RMW as I just finished an EJ25 conversion into 1991 automatic Westy, and I was very happy with how it all went together: completeness of the kit, quailty in engineering and manufacturing, the instructions provided with the kit and support over the phone (the one time I had to call in regarding alternator light wiring, RMW were helpful and courteous).

As others mentioned, a bit on the pricey side but you do get what you pay for, that’s for sure.
ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

brodyjdavis wrote:
elizer wrote:

Interesting, but not ideal for us midwest Vanners if we want to work with a local shop.

Are you planning to work with a local shop? Which one? Do they have a preference on which kit?
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

brodyjdavis wrote:
ftp2leta wrote:
They are both great.

Ben

Interesting, and thanks for chiming in! I'm curious which 1/3 you decide to not use in favor of parts of your own making?

Personal choice, anything that as liquid in it is made by my welder.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

ELO

I have not made a decision on what conversion yet. But I had Valley Westy (Complete Auto Care) do some work on my rig. He is an authorized installer of the Vanaru conversion. So naturally that is their preference.
ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
ELO

I have not made a decision on what conversion yet. But I had Valley Westy (Complete Auto Care) do some work on my rig. He is an authorized installer of the Vanaru conversion. So naturally that is their preference.

Laughing I'm more curious about the OP, as he's local to me. But, good to know about your sitch. Laughing
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

lol should have caught that. Went right over my head.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

I asked this on the other thread but perhaps this is a better place to ask - does the small car kit offer better ground clearance vs kep/rmw assuming similar oil pans
brodyjdavis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

Are you planning to work with a local shop? Which one? Do they have a preference on which kit?[/quote]

I am planning to work with Auto Ventures in WI https://m.facebook.com/jeffrobenolt/

Jeff makes wire harnesses for dozens of shops and is putting the finishing touches on his own shop build-out. He's also just under 200 miles from most of Chicago so our AAA will cover the tow (our van is currently not running reliable enough to make the trip)
creedua
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: RMW vs SC Subaru Conversion Kits Reply with quote

Being in eastern Ky. there is no shop that I am aware of to do installs. Of all the kits which would be the easiest for a total novice? I have been looking at the KEP ones. Some guys say the 1.9 TDI is the easiest.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: