Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

I am upgrading my H4 Headlights, to a higher wattage. Maybe something around 80, instead of 55. Can someone help and tell me what upgrade I need to get for a headlight relay? Thank you!
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

More importantly what voltage are you getting at the bulb socket plug so that you will get the full output of the 80/80W bulb. I would recommend powering the bulbs directly off the battery and use the existing wiring setup as a switching circuit. Upgrade wiring looms are readily available for H4 systems.

Also you will not be putting any stress on an old wiring system.
VW Addict Premium Member
Samba Salesman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

Hmmm... OK, So another question...f I just get 60/55 H4's, can I use the same relay I have and wiring harness?
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

I thought you wanted to upgrade the headlights. The factory wiring for 1968 models onwards was designed for 60/55W bulbs. Upgrading to 80/80W bulbs will make a huge difference if you can get the voltage to the bulb.

I would recommend PIAA H-89 bulbs as they were the best H4 performance bulbs made.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

Buy a dual headlight relay at your local FLAPS (under $10). You use the existing car headlight wiring to the relay you mount under the hood and run a #8 or 10 wire from the pos. terminal of battery (put a inline fuse near battery incase the wire gets a short) to the relay, that way there is only a few amps through the car switches and relays and the bulbs get full power from battery. I ran 55-100 H-4 bulbs with this setup with no problems but a blinding glare to any driver coming at you with their high beams on when you blast them.
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

A 55w low beam 100W high beam bulb does not give you any benefit over a standard 60/55W bulb at low beam which is where most people want the upgrade.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

55 W /12 V = 4.6 amps

80 W / 12 : = 6.7 amps

Thus you will need a relay sized bigger than 6.7 amps.

the 2.5 mm sq wires used in the Bug is marginal for this current if the run is more than 10 feet, if you want to have low voltage drop.

See below chart link...

https://www.google.com/search?q=wire+capacity+char...QMB_JdZ2M:

Bug On, See The Light!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

Automotive headlight bulbs are rated using a nominal 13.6v not 12v. An 80w bulb @ 13.6v should only be drawing 5.9A not 6.7A. Splitting hairs I know but the basis of calculation should be correct.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

Meiang wrote:
Automotive headlight bulbs are rated using a nominal 13.6v not 12v. An 80w bulb @ 13.6v should only be drawing 5.9A not 6.7A. Splitting hairs I know but the basis of calculation should be correct.

I prefer to use 12 volts for this situation, so a safety factor is built in. I rather design to the higher current that a lower voltage calcuation gives.

13.6 volts is only an assumption, it may not be correct on any given car, depending on the charging system.

At anyrate, an 8 amp circuit can handle this load be it 5.9 or 6.7 amps, although Id prefer the circuit be sized for ten amps.

Bug On, where ever the current takes you!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

First check the voltage at your headlights with your current set up as suggested. Voltage drops here really effect light output. Fix whatever the problem is.

I added two Bosch relays (one for low beam and the other for high beam-the same Bosch relays sold for the hard start kits). Anyways bring a wire up from the battery with a fuseable link to the relays then connect them to switch on and off and replace your H4 bulbs.

There is a good selection on Rallylights.com
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
Buy a dual headlight relay at your local FLAPS (under $10). You use the existing car headlight wiring to the relay you mount under the hood and run a #8 or 10 wire from the pos. terminal of battery (put a inline fuse near battery incase the wire gets a short) to the relay, that way there is only a few amps through the car switches and relays and the bulbs get full power from battery. I ran 55-100 H-4 bulbs with this setup with no problems but a blinding glare to any driver coming at you with their high beams on when you blast them.

Starbucket, I was planning to do this.

Question: Can you elaborate a little on where you place the relays, some details on the physical setup?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

Boble wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

Question: Can you elaborate a little on where you place the relays, some details on the physical setup?

I have used four relays, or two.

Using two main wires, say one hibeam, one lobeam from the battery will not leave you stranded with no lights should the main fuse trigger, youll have two circuits, each with own fuse.

I place them relays ahead of the dash, and use the existing wires from lights to fuses for my relay to light wires. I feed the relays power from the battery with a separate wire from battery to each relay(s) for hi beam and lo beam. Fuse them at the battery end, close to the battery. I use heavy wire for these two wires, and run them up to the relays.

The relays are triggered by wires coming off the fuse panel, from the locations vacated by the aforementioned wires that were reused for the relay to headlight wires. If you have four relays, wire one to each headlight fuse, if you have two relays, hook up one relay to either hi beam, and other relay to either lo beam. And of course the other trigger terminal to ground nearby.

you can save space and money by wiring the relays directly with 1/ 4 inch spade terminals. no need for a bulky relay socket.

Good Luck, Bug On, May Your Bug See The Light! Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Boble wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

I have used four relays, or two.

Using two main wires, say one hibeam, one lobeam from the battery will not leave you stranded with no lights should the main fuse trigger, youll have two circuits, each with own fuse.

I place them relays ahead of the dash, and use the existing wires from lights to fuses for my relay to light wires. I feed the relays power from the battery with a separate wire from battery to each relay(s) for hi beam and lo beam. Fuse them at the battery end, close to the battery. I use heavy wire for these two wires, and run them up to the relays.

The relays are triggered by wires coming off the fuse panel, from the locations vacated by the aforementioned wires that were reused for the relay to headlight wires. If you have four relays, wire one to each headlight fuse, if you have two relays, hook up one relay to either hi beam, and other relay to either lo beam. And of course the other trigger terminal to ground nearby.

you can save space and money by wiring the relays directly with 1/ 4 inch spade terminals. no need for a bulky relay socket.

Good Luck, Bug On, May Your Bug See The Light! Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea Idea

X2 that was what I was going to say. The relay will have a wiring diagram so mount the relays where it'd easy and basically the signal from the old wires to the head lights will go to the relay using only a little voltage to trigger a solenoid that powers the head lights direct from the battery, so full power. EASY
Boble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

Bluebus86, thanks a lot for your very good description! Appreciated.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

First, start with the stock wiring. This diagram from Speedy Jim's site will show how the headlight switch, dimmer relay and fuse box are wired.

Notice that the dimmer relay controls the flow of current to either the high or low beams. The fuse box fuses only protect the part of the wiring that runs from the fuse box to the headlights.

Inspect all the old wiring you plan to use. After 30-40years the wire ends will oxidize and increase resistance; reducing the current flow that makes it to the headlights. If you are still using the original white and yellow wires to the headlights, consider snipping the ends off and re-terminating. Strip back the insulation until you get new clean copper. Or, replace all the old wires with new 12AWG wires as suggested below.

Combine this headlight relay circuit with the above.

Insert the pair of relays between the dimmer relay and the fuse box. Each new relay is powered by a separate 20A fuse from the battery (fuses located near the battery)... triggered by either the high or low beam output from the dimmer relay (white and yellow wires)... and each relay powers two fuses in the fuse box.

This arrangement reduces the current flow thru the headlight switch and dimmer relay; extending their lives. Use generic Bosch-style 20 or 30A SPDT relays you can get for as little as $3/each and they are easily replaced if they fail. Each individual headlight circuit is protected by an 8A fuse. If the circuit is shorted anywhere the 20A fuses near the battery will protect the long runs thru the chassis to the relays up front.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

pictures worth a thousand words.

Bug On!

DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

And now I feel dumb for dropping H4's on my busses... both my 73 and my 78 had them. No relays or any of that. Worked fine and the light pattern from the Hella lenses was WAY better than from any sealed beam garbage.

Embarassed
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

Two above wiring diagrams combined (with the help of Ashman)

Complete wiring diagram for adding power relays to the headlight system

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

Drop some LED's in there.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: h4 Headlight Upgrade-- What relay do I need to get? Reply with quote

DurocShark wrote:
And now I feel dumb for dropping H4's on my busses... both my 73 and my 78 had them. No relays or any of that. Worked fine and the light pattern from the Hella lenses was WAY better than from any sealed beam garbage.

Embarassed

I did the same thing in my 62 Beetle no problems yet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: