Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle tip: inspect your ring gear thru drain hole
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Transaxle tip: inspect your ring gear thru drain hole Reply with quote

Transaxle tip: inspect your ring gear thru the drain hole

I was just servicing my 100k mi. on rebuild Syncro transaxle, and mildly concerned about hearing a very faint R&P whine on overrun recently. I found I had let my oil level get low due to leaky side seals, so I figured that was probably the main reason, but I realised something when I had it drained: You can do a good visual inspection of the ring gear thru the drain hole.

If all the ring gear teeth are free of chips and show even wear patterns, it's a pretty good bet the pinion gear and bearing are also in good shape. All the teeth on my ring gear looked really nice, wear patterns high on the tooth flanks the full length of each, and the same all the way around. No chips at all and not even the slightest pitting, so I feel good about the condition of mine.

If you see any chipped or pitted teeth you can be pretty sure the pinion is also similarly damaged.

If you have a Syncro with diff lock you can rotate the ring gear with a rear wheel. I have an on-board air compressor and use positive air pressure for my diff lock servo (you'll be hearing more about this soon) so I just ran my compressor to maintain the lock. A standard Syncro with a tight vac system should be able to hold it locked without idling the engine.

If no diff lock then you'd need to engage a gear and turn the engine crankshaft to turn the ring gear. An assistant to do so, or careful use of a remote starter switch, would make this job easier.

It's always nice to find a way you can gather some useful data on a major system so easily.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tip: inspect your ring gear thru drain hole Reply with quote

I imagine you might be able to snake an inspection camera up there to see the R&P mesh, but that probably precludes using the starter to turn over the assembly, for obvious reasons.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tip: inspect your ring gear thru drain hole Reply with quote

A couple comments:

It's almost always true that wear will show up first on the pinion, which sees 4X the wear of the ring gear. Quite often, a toasted pinion has a ring gear that looks OK.

It's quite difficult to closely inspect an oil-coated gear tooth. The magnet (or filter) is still our best indicator of R&P wear.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tip: inspect your ring gear thru drain hole Reply with quote

throw some sawdust in the filler hole and that whine will quiet down right nice...

my Dad talked about that being a ploy for selling high mile cars in the 1950s, but i've never seen evidence of it myself. i have however seen the engine filled with essentially pure STP to stop it smoking long enough to get out the driveway.

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle tip: inspect your ring gear thru drain hole Reply with quote

Very good info Chris and Paul, Thanks for posting it.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: