Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Braking system upgrade
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

ID Doug - you obviously know way more than me and have way more experience. Except you haven’t driven my vehicle before and after. No I didn’t lay out distances and check stopping times and lengths. But I am an extremely observant, critical, and scientific person and, my day job demands this. I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt and without any observer bias that my vanagon stops faster, the back brakes don’t lock before the fronts, and I can stop easier in emergencies and have no fade. I’ve driven over 30k miles in it since these upgrades on road, rain, snow, ice, mountains, traffic, and off road and I’ve had equal comparison time and conditions prior. They are better and it is not because I want to justify my time and I expense doing so. I’ve undone other mods and I wouldn’t hesistaye to undo this one if it wasn’t superior
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

Im not convinced that its that bad. I suspect there exists a wide band of usability on each side of the engineered design. Where the degraded, undermaintained neglwcted OEM syetem falls within the realm of significantly lower performance. And nobody really knows because NOBODY will test their brakes anyway.

PCForno is a meticulous modifier. AFAIK only PC and the old illustriuos banned Insyncro have reported that their rear discs lock the wheels. PC on gravel and InSycros left black marks on the pavement of course.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
PCforno,

Thanks for your input, and it sounds like you've put a lot of effort, time and money into changes to your brake system. I want to preface what I'm about to say with something. This is an earnest and heartfelt insight with protection of the Samba folks in mind. Though it may take the wind out of your sails a bit, it could be that your particular system is a great match and increased your overall safety. The intent is greater good here.

I have personally been a part of studies at GM where the engineering staff put larger disc brakes on the GM "F" chassis (Firebird/Camaro) - a rear wheel drive sporty chassis that has a low center of gravity, no ABS and good handling characteristics. There were others - many others but this will serve as an example.

They put these larger brakes on to prepare for a performance model, brought it out to the braking test area and put it through its paces. Faster bite and harder initial braking, and better multiple stop performance, but longer stopping distances because the rears locked up. And modulation (the ability to ease pedal pressure to unlock a tire without easing so much braking must be reduced too much before the tire rolls and you can bear down again) was terrible. It was not a surprise, just Day 1 of a brake upgrade.

In order to tune these larger brakes, it took weeks of instrumented testing and documented changes. Dozens of different combinations of brake master changes, F/R line pressure balance adjustments, changes to brake pad materials, different calipers, etc to bring the car back to a safe vehicle after plugging in larger brakes with greater heat shedding.

You did the same - put on different rotors, different calipers, and then rear rotors replacing the drum. But you did zero instrumented testing. And I believe you when you say they "feel" better. However, I'm here to tell you that unless you are the luckiest guy in our solar system, you got an increase in total heat shedding, but you gave away emergency braking on a wet curvy road. Your stopping distances on dry pavement are actually longer. Your front brakes will lock too easily on a gravel road emergency. Who knows? I sure don't.

My point here is that people who do heavy brake modifications uniformly report their systems are "better". Is it a surprise that someone who spent perhaps $1000 and hours of their time wants others to believe it was a good idea? A wise investment? I find it odd that nobody who's done this has gotten back on Samba and said "Wow they don't fade on Vail pass anymore, but in the winter I've discovered that the rears are practically useless on snow - they just lock up and the Van sucks. Does anyone have any suggestions?" Or "Holy crap. I love how firm the brake pedal feels but a deer walked out on a rainy country road yesterday and when I hit the brakes, the fronts locked up and I had a hell of a time regaining control."

So the impression others get is these brake upgrades are a sure thing. 100% better braking performance in all respects. Perfectly engineered plug in.

I just want to weigh in and say that there is no way on God's green earth these brake modifications are not creating ill handling monsters under emergency braking maneuvers, or low friction surfaces, etc. Those modified Vanagons are on Day 1 of a brake upgrade program, and there will be no Day 2.

Doug

apparently god believes in physics

not all vanagon owners do
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

Sodo - I never tried to skid the wheels with the parking brake before my upgrade when it had drums- does the stock parking brake skid the wheels on pavement?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

I don’t know, have never heard/read of it. My oher vehicles can, so I assume its a DOT requirement. My Ford F150 skids. If it was not required; the OEMs wouldn’t spend the money to include such capability on other vehicles. I think Audi made a substandard mechanism for their 2400 lb car, that incidentally adapts well to a Vanagon and there we are; two strikes down. And some strike out.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

Time to lock this thread I'm thinking...valid points have been made, but we do not need to tally the score.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

Once again I'll say if the stock Vanagon brakes are so great then why did VW upgrade the Syncro 16" with larger brakes rotors and drums from the LT (keeping the same booster and proportioning valve from the Vanagon)?
And why did VW of SA upgrade the newer Vanagons with vented rotors?

In the case of the Syncro 16" they did because the larger wheels allowed them the room, and for SA because they knew the vented rotors are better.

The stock system is ok, but there is definitely room for improvement. (and is constrained by the small 14" wheels)
Most car manufacturers go with the cheapest option they can and only provide better when they have to or are competing with another brand.

Idahodoug-have you driven modified vans?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

So we’ve successfully polled all future members and there’s nobody else out there whose disc brakes can skid tires (at least on loose gravel)? All other discs are (parking only) failures too? This is possible but not a foregone conclusion. People are wondering if they should buy rear discs. I’m wondering if I should try “new same” Audi calipers (again; another attempt to restore my parking brake).

The subject of this thread is “Braking system upgrade”, a good searchable title, for an important safety system. And its a popular modification that members want/need information on. Especially due to the many benefits of larger wheels, and loaded down vans, MANY members truly “need” larger brakes.

I haven’t seen reports from any other members testing any brakes at all. My vote is to keep this thread open in hope some Member will do some actual testing and post. Parking brake skidding on gravel is a really easy & safe test that almost anyone can do. Some other skid-pad like testing of the footbrake (even on gravel) by a member with some performance driving experience, would be interesting to all. Turning, on snow or gravel, perhaps at lower speeds.

If nobody says anything and they just keep on shoveling out “parking brake deletes” its a disservice to Vanagons. I would like to see someone create a rear disc kit that’s balanced to the front, with a parking brake capable of holding my van perched upon “leveling rocks” (its a Westy thing ya know?).

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
why did VW upgrade the Syncro 16" with larger brakes rotors and drums from the LT (keeping the same booster and proportioning valve from the Vanagon)?

In the case of the Syncro 16" they did because the larger wheels allowed them the room, and for SA because they knew the vented rotors are better.

You don't think that perhaps VW engineers took into account that being the 16" wheel and tire were larger making it a increased rolling weight/momentum that it was a good idea to increase the brake size to match it?
I agree with you that vented rotors are superior in getting rid of heat, but also the quality of materials in the brake pad do make a difference in brake's fading.

Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

Sodo- we definetly have to get together🤠.
I’ll show you my parking brake if you show me yours
Swear it locks on gravel. Holds any angle. Will not lock on pavement.
But I did spend a lot of time adjusting the caliper roll back/advance, replaced the cables with stainless steel jacketed Lokar cables and have hi performance hawk pads. Also you have to adjust/fix the smallcar bracket issue which is not centered and at an angle so that the pads will contact at the same time- but Ive got no dog 🐕 n the fight and no reason to make things up...
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I find it odd that nobody who's done this has gotten back on Samba and said "Wow they don't fade on Vail pass anymore, but in the winter I've discovered that the rears are practically useless on snow - they just lock up and the Van sucks. Does anyone have any suggestions?" Or "Holy crap. I love how firm the brake pedal feels but a deer walked out on a rainy country road yesterday and when I hit the brakes, the fronts locked up and I had a hell of a time regaining control." Doug
Maybe because it's not happening?
Steve M. wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:
why did VW upgrade the Syncro 16" with larger brakes rotors and drums from the LT (keeping the same booster and proportioning valve from the Vanagon)?

You don't think that perhaps VW engineers took into account that being the 16" wheel and tire were larger making it a increased rolling weight/momentum that it was a good idea to increase the brake size to match it?
I agree with you that vented rotors are superior in getting rid of heat, but also the quality of materials in the brake pad do make a difference in brake's fading.
Vw was trying to nail down a military vehicle contract when they built the Syncro 16" (and the anemic engine was part of the fail!), so they were beefing up the van in anticipation of hard/heavy use. So yes, larger wheels, more mass; need larger brakes. They knew the stock Vanagon system could be better.
They just grabbed some parts from the bin to cobble the 16" together. Vented rotors would have been even better but the LT was just using solid rotors.

As for a decent rear disc brake system, someone needs to come up with the type of setup that uses either an additional small drum for the emergency brake or an additional caliper.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.

Last edited by MsTaboo on Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
Sodo- we definetly have to get together🤠.

That’s for certain! For several reasons. I’ll be in Moab 1st week of April with 20 vans (Syncro Safari) and hope to see more disc brakes than the few I’ve experienced. I’m real disappointed Samba membership has declined to the point we don’t have even one other member out there right now pulling a handbrake on gravel & reporting. Cuz we need several (not just you and I).

I may be driving around UT a bit after the safari, would be great to cross paths somewhere.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

This is the first time I've heard that some Syncro 16's were fitted with (LT?) larger rear brakes. I sure have gotten the itch to know what they are, what it would take to retro them to other Vanagons, like mine... 2WD. Maybe an opportunity for an entrepreneur to make what it takes to adapt the larger rears as a kit? It would make more sense to me going with a G60 front and the larger rear drums than trying to get a rear disk kit to give decent park brake function.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
This is the first time I've heard that some Syncro 16's were fitted with (LT?) larger rear brakes. I sure have gotten the itch to know what they are, what it would take to retro them to other Vanagons, like mine... 2WD. Maybe an opportunity for an entrepreneur to make what it takes to adapt the larger rears as a kit? It would make more sense to me going with a G60 front and the larger rear drums than trying to get a rear disk kit to give decent park brake function.

Oem part numbers are the same except the Syncro 16 has an "A" at the end of it.
251 609 615

Specified for the Syncro 16
251 609 615 A

the outside surface/edge looks different not sure what else.
Brake backing plate is different.

Wheel hub for 14" is VW 211 501 619
Wheel hub for Syncro 16 is VW 251 501 619 and visually different with a "V" notch on the outer rim.

Last edited by Steve M. on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

I hear you can upgrade to the LT rear wheel cylinder and get more braking force (everything else stays stock)

didn't try this myself and dont know where to buy LT wheel cylinders...
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

Tiguans and probably other newer VAG vehicles have rear calipers with an electric solenoid built in for the parking brake function. I'm not sure whether you could modulate them for emergency braking, but it probably wouldn't be too difficult to wire up a push button parking brake.

I don't have any problem with the braking accomplished by the rear drums, but I utterly loathe servicing them, and I haven't been too pleased with the quality of replacement parts either. I'll most likely install Eurovan rear calipers on my Vanagon, since I've been very pleased with their performance

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
I hear you can upgrade to the LT rear wheel cylinder and get more braking force (everything else stays stock)

didn't try this myself and dont know where to buy LT wheel cylinders...

Syncro 16 rear wheel cylinders used from LT with duel rear wheels has a larger bore size.
281 611 047, 291 611 047, 251 611 047

14" size
211 611 047 F

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I utterly loathe servicing them, and I haven't been too pleased with the quality of replacement parts either. I'll most likely install Eurovan rear calipers on my Vanagon, since I've been very pleased with their performance

I don't much care for the dust that comes out of the drums when servicing them either, never have. Its just gross. Not to mention possibly deadly.

I also found my EV's brakes to be very good, never had a complaint. They matched the 203HP engine pretty well, in my opinion Smile

-bobby
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

Cool sodo - text me if you still have my number. We like to go out to Moab to mtb frequently - it’s only about 5 hrs from us🤠
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Braking system upgrade Reply with quote

Good stuff - great information.

Some input on the parking brake/rear disc issue. I have a gorgeous Audi from 1990 that has rear discs and a parking brake that activates the pads to the disc. It's a miserable cur of a design and I definitely cannot lock its rear tires with the parking brake. There's a pivot that constantly gets crudded up and its an annual rite of passage to pull that shaft pivot slightly out so the O ring is exposed and shoot some penetrating oil in there. Then a couple days later after sitting shoot some conventional oil in and shove the shaft together. It still only works barely.

Most cars long ago moved to a "drum in hat" design someone above mentioned where the service brakes activate the rear disc brakes/pads as normal. However, for parking, there is an integral drum cast into the brake rotor and a completely separate pair of brake shoes activated by a cable to provide a completely separate set of brakes. Almost all cars use this now. That's a successful design and if someone's looking to do a rear disc conversion on a Vanagon is the type I'd be looking for.

Our LandCruisers have this setup and its been trouble free for a combined 510,000 miles. We can lock the huge stock 275 tires on pavement, it will hold on a steep downhill or if you're stuck on an offroad obstacle it will keep the vehicle in place, etc. Enormous braking power.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: