Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought but no start, help?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

Hi,
I bought recently a van (2 weeks ago) and was told by previous owner it overheated, tried starting it but discovered no FP sound, fixed that, when cranking, discovered water running out from above pushrod tubes (Welsh plug rusted a hole in it), pulled the tops to sort that, but before than, tried cranking it, it sort of started, but does not run and dies immediately! I went ahead and replaced rings since all was well and fixed leak.
Now tried to start, but still same, did wire tool breach, still no luck! Where else can I look for causes?
Really eager to get it running in order to diagnose other issues.
Thanks, any advice will be valued!
Cheers
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

Are you really in beautiful Namibia and the Garnet Coast?

I would start by confirming you have fuel (look at injector spray) and spark (at he plugs).

If yes, I would then be checking timing as there are several ways to go wrong here including something as basic as spark plug wires (which are not intuitive on a VW as the number scheme for the cylinders is a bit unusual).
joebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

Morning, yes I am, will try to add some pics to illustrate, the recovery the fixing and some pics of the fault I discovered which I need advice for connection! I think I am in over my head, not very mechanical savy, budget force me to DIY!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Checked earth wiring

Connected the bridge tool!!

Discovered this, where should it connect?

They come from these harness wires! Round connection comes from where idle control valve comes out of harness! Hope it is clear!!
I have done the initial checks, please if anyone can identify where these should be connected to!!
Please ask for other images if needed!!
Thank you in advance!! Want to see her idling soon!!!

Some images from around!!

16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

So by the looks of your pictures you have a Digijet injection system? I would find someone with the same van and look at them side by side.
Having loose wires and questionable grounds is a bad place to start. That Brown/Green and Brown/Yellow are ugly.
Have you checked the Hall sensor for Powewr and ground? Maybe a better picture of the top of the engine is in order here.
I would start by getting all the wires back in the box as well as making sure there are no wires left disconnected.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

Nice looking Van!

You've checked the basics?

Compression on all four cylinders?

Spark at coil wire and atneach spark plug?

Fuel delivery? Have you hooked up a gauge or at least a hose to the test port and verified fuel delivery?

Have you pulled an injector and verified a fuel spray?

Some of those grounds look tired. A removal, wire brush and maybe terminal replacement might be a good idea.

Some of your photos are so close it is hard to identify what you are asking.

Maybe give us a photo of the entire engine before a close up of a given area?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

It does appear to be a Digijet system (hard to tell in close-up photos). A photo showing the whole engine would identify it well.

I do see non-stock wiring -- for which your only solution is to track down what each was added for and decide how to proceed.

For the correct stock wiring you will need to get familiar with the wiring diagram for the van. Perhaps not easy to follow at first but once you get the hang of reading 'current tracks' it is a very useful tool.

If it is Digijet - I have now put the wiring diagrams from the usual manual into my gallery:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Ahwahnee

There is also a photo someone else here did that might help in sorting out that black box:

It is for an 86 (Digifant) but close if not the same as yours. Sometimes a photo is simpler to deal with than a diagram when trying to separate original wiring from changes or additions.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

It looks like a late model from another market, possibly a DJ code 2.1 with a version of Digijet. More photos and the vin# might help.

Mark
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

I didn't realize, but it looks like a big window South African fan with a Wasser boxer engine.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

ajdenette wrote:
I didn't realize, but it looks like a big window South African fan with a Wasser boxer engine.

Considering his locale, that is likely.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

All DJ's are Digijet, I was surprised to see that as well, as I thought the SA vans all had in lines in them.
Interesting that the DJ's are Digijet, my understanding was that the wanted the ignition to be stand alone for some reason. The other curious thing about a DJ is that our MV ICR are " B&D" the DJ units are "A&C".
Something tells me that this van is question has had an interesting life.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

Hi,
Will implement all suggestions,
Can anyone tell me which plug this one below is?

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

Throttle position switch. Should connect to the underside of the throttle body
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

Yes, RHD, DJ, Syncro bits, wonder how much is original.

Mark

16CV's wrote:
Something tells me that this van is question has had an interesting life.

Stacy
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

I'd ensure that the wires to the Hall Sensor and the sensor itself are good. My exact experience when I bought my Bluestar was the same: wanted to start, fired once or twice but never ran.

If you look on the side of the distributor, you should see a black plastic "box" with a plug attached. See if that "box" is loose on the side of the distributor or if the wires going to the plug are cracked and possibly shorting or without continuity. That "box" is the connection point for the wiring plug to the inside of the distributor sensor piece. If that sensor has faulty wiring, your van will not run correctly. It is a show stopper that will need to be fixed.

Good luck. Please make sure to post your findings so we all know what you found.
Mark
joebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for all the advice, will do my homework tonight and report back! Here is pic of engine bay as requested!
Cheers for now!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

That photo shows the temp sensor wires for the fuel injection are not plugged in.
Look at the left side for the light blue plastic 2 pin connector.

Mark
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

I know it's not essential for "starting" but also doesn't look like the accelerator cable is hooked up the throttle body. You might start but it ain't going to go anywhere without that. I'm going to let Mark keep giving you electrical system guidance because he is 98.02% more knowledgeable than me, but thought I'd point that out.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

Vacuum system is compromised... The evap. system lines (small diameter plastic ones, one blue and one white) to and from the Charcoal can are not hooked up at all, and the brake booster hose looks like a sawed dog probably full of holes. I would guess that with holes in the vacuum system like that, no wonder....

Good luck
joebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

Bobbyblack,
I have no clue where those lines should go, any direction please?r
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bought but no start, help? Reply with quote

The situation at hand is probably more that there are hoses disconnected, or that have holes in them than that you'll have much success just hooking them back up in the engine compartment... The way they look, there has been and additional disconnection to the other end of those lines, especially the white one on your right that hangs out as far as the belts.

Here is a shamelessly stolen pic of the same kind of engine, I have circled where the charcoal can lines go into the intake manifold. IF the person who was removing the lines actually plugged the locations on the intake with something, perhaps its OK for now to leave them off.

The big red arrow points to the start of the brake booster line, yours looks like a shaggy dog's tail. I have seen these look as bad and not be trouble, however, I have also been fooled by ones that look less bad and do have holes.

I also might be wrong on the brake booster line, depending where your vacuum check valve for the brake booster line is. If it is at the red arrow, then its possible the the engine is not having vacuum issue from the shaggy dog line. Mine is at the far end of that line, so that is why I mentioned it.

Mainly, I was hopeful that you'd just plug the vacuum system adequately to be relatively sure that the engine can even sputter to a start. The charcoal can and the brake booster are not, in themselves, reasons it wouldn't start, but the holes in the intake manifold where those lines go into would, perhaps.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: