Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire size for lowering a super beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerson5057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

Hello,
I have read the lowering sticky, was not very helpful. I have purchased new springs and new strut inserts, and adjustable housing. Now I need to know what tires I should go for. I am not going for super slammed, but maybe just a little tuck, or pretty flush with the fenders. Does anyone have pictures of what the 155 looks like compared to the 145 on a beetle?

Any help or insight would be great!

Thanks
VolkswagenNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

Im not sure what size i have, i can look tomarrow. But wheel backspacing makes a difference on a super. I had to go back to stock steelies because my 8 spokes stuck out to far.
VolkswagenNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

Not sure if this helps at all, but here's what i've tried. 185 65 15, rubs bad while turning (but I'm pretty low) and probably not recommended on 4.5" wheels. I like them in the back though.

And currently i have 125 temps in the front. ( i dont recomend this, i'm barely driving it til i get new tires ). Only reason i bring this up is because they're close to the same height as 155 60's, which is what i think I'm about to go with.

This is all with stock 4.5s which have close to 4" of backspace.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Emerson5057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

Both of you guys are helpful thanks for the reference. I'm thinking about going with the 155. would love if someone could show a pick of that
GearHeadKeith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

I have 145SR15 in front and 165SR15 in rear on a vintage set of American Eagle 8-spoke with 3.75" backspacing. It just barely works with Topline front struts set at 2.5" of drop.

John at Topline knows what works when lowering a Super Beetle and sells top-quality parts. It is worth talking to him.

SSC trans with 3.78/2.25/1.48/1.04 & 4.12 Gleason R&P, Type IV output flanges, Berg Shifter
Topline front struts/springs/sway bar, Sway-a-Way rear bar, 4-wheel disc brakes
Owned since 1994: 3rd owner since new!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emerson5057
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

GearHeadKeith wrote:
I have 145SR15 in front and 165SR15 in rear on a vintage set of American Eagle 8-spoke with 3.75" backspacing. It just barely works with Topline front struts set at 2.5" of drop.

John at Topline knows what works when lowering a Super Beetle and sells top-quality parts. It is worth talking to him.

Awesome pics thanks ! Does john at topline have an email or a phone numbeR?
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

That yellow super beetle is nice .
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

Emerson5057 wrote:
Does john at topline have an email or a phone numbeR?

here ya go . . . http://toplineparts.com/lower-your.html
Jon has been lowering Super Beetles for over 40 years . . . knows 'em inside & out!!!!!
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

Hey Emerson, I went 175/55 up front and I love them. No rubbing and plenty of meat.

Buggeee wrote:
Whats that you say? Why was I in there anyway? Well... glad you asked.

I was putting on the NEW TIRES and WIDE WHEELS!!!

For the google search engine - Here is the proper size tire for a lowered 1972 Super Beetle with NO RUBBING. For those cruising the threads for tire-size info - I'm running Topline Maxx struts down to the bottom and flipped tie rods up front. One outer spline up from the bump stops on the rear.

My rims are - 5.5 inch rims ET25 (25 mm offset) stock reproductions from Mid America Motorworks

My tire sizes are -

Front 175/55/15
Rear 195/60/15

This took a phone call to Topline and about 7 hours of research for me. What a trip down the tire size/wheel offset rabbit hole! The results are worth it.

Here's the side by side comparison to stock 165/80/15 with 4.5 inch stock rims in the rear:

And here's the comparison with the same stock tire and rim in the front:

For those with a disk brake kit, there is some modification required for this wheel set. Here's where the rim and caliper interfere with each other:

So I ground down the caliper as so:

And I ground off the stamping excess from the inside of the wheel as so:

And then they fit perfectly!!!! Well, not perfectly. My first trip around the block had a banging sound that then resulted in the ball joint nuts knocking off the wheel weights that were installed to the inside lip of the rim. There is veeeery little clearance there. So I'm having the wheels re-balanced today using the weights that stick on the inside circumference of the rim (like they do on aluminum wheels) rather than the ones that clip on the edge. Thank goodness it was just that! It was a dreadful sound to hear at first. So anyway...

Here are the most important views you have been waiting for... the Stance Cool

Then I did donuts in front of the house at full lock - and NO RUBBING!!!

Then I took it on the open road and the highway. This is a different car. These modern tire sizes and ratios are what make cars drive the way they do as far as I can tell. This thing is much quieter. It rolls smoothly over bumps and road defects. It handles ridiculously stable when pushed unreasonably around corners. Fun, Fun, Fun. Lots of body noises disappear! Run out and get some. Smile

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

I’ve got 185/60 on front with the 914 sport wheel 5.5” with ET40.
No problems, no rubbing. Looks great. Imnsho
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VERTED71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

71 Super Beetle Vert
15x4.5 Front
15x6.5 Rear
155/60R15 74T tires FRONT
205/65/15 tires REAR
1600 Dual Port
Progessive Carb
Electronic Ignition
Tri Mil "hotdog" exhaust
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

73, and earlier Supers have different requirements than the 74, and later ones. It's great you've gotten some feedback, but it looks like most of the cars are early. Some combos work with both, and there are combos that don't, so look for combos to fit the later cars. I personally run the "Cal Look" 145 80 15's on a stock style 4 1/2 chromie on my 74 that's lowered about 2 inches. If I'm taking a sharp off camber corner, or diagonally entering a parking lot with a huge curb when one wheel would receive a lot of weight while almost at full lock, they will rub the fenders a little. There have been a lot of wheels come out, and a lot of different tire sizes in the last 10 years, or so. If you're thinking about going the stock painted route, there are 2 widths, and 4 different offsets of stock 4 bolt "slot" VW wheels. Another thing to consider is if you have an OEM VW drum, or disc with the center hub/ring used to center the stock wheel. A lot of aftermarket wheels won't clear this, and you need to either have it machined off, or get drums/discs that don't have it. I'd talk with Topline as well, and keep doing research. I'll see if I can post some old pics I have later today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

Here is a link to a web site that I found very useful when I was trying to size my tires, wheels, and offset.

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

That link opens to the wheel offset tab and the web page also has tabs for tire sizes and other things related to the project. The calculator provides before and after comparisons so you can play around with different size rubber, wheels, etc. and visualize how any of the changes impacts the presence of the tire. It also provides speedometer information so you see what the new speed calculations are after you change tire sizes. I plan to print a new face for my speedo at some point with the numbers in the correct place for tire size I am now using.

Have fun. Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

Last edited by [email protected] on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksnhousin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

145/80/15, 165/65/15, 165/50/15, and 175/55/15 are some lowered VW tire sizes that come to my mind at the moment. 165/80/15 is considered original size for your VW.

Type what ever tire size you want into this thing and it will tell you what you might want to know about them. https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=145-80r15-175-55r15
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
house of dubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

Its been 4 years since anyone has posted here and I was wondering if there has been any new info around lowering a super beelte and what tires/wheels everyone is using.
boxer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

I've got a 74 super and am about to try:

155/60/15 on et41 4.5" sport wheels in front
185/65/15 on et40 5.5" sport wheels in rear

This is with adjustable struts on highest setting and tapered red springs.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

This is 185 65r 15 front, 205 60r 15 rear
Epilog79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size for lowering a super beetle Reply with quote

House of Dubs, there hasn't been any new "break throughs" in lowering and tire sizes. It is always an adventure trying to cram as much tire under the front and rear as possible. Backspacing is the key, especially the front.
I have a 79 with the Topline tapered springs and adjustable strut. With 914 wheels with the ET40 offset I had 195/60/15 stuffed under the front and 205/60/15 in the rear.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: