Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

performance motor for 67 square back?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bay area square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

Does one exist? I want to push as much hp out of one as possible. Need ideas please?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

bay area square wrote:
Does one exist? I want to push as much hp out of one as possible. Need ideas please?

How much money do you have to spend?

For a big air cooled engine, it's cheaper to go with a type 4 engine.

If going water cooled doesn't bother you, a Subaru swap might be in order.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

Check out Powerhausvwparts.com or on his Facebook page.

John built a a big 2 litre turbo fuel injected motor for his brother in law that is outrageously beatiful and I think it makes around 300hp.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
bay area square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

whole crap that's beautiful. I wanna build something like that minus the turbo. Wanna keep it a VW motor as much as possible.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

What do you have against the turbo?

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bay area square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

can't afford it lol. I got about 5k to spend on a motor.
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

5K won't get you that motor without a turbo, my guess is that's $10K+, probably closer to $15K
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

With 5k just do a Subbie swap. If you really want to keep it a Type 3 motor, build a bigger one than factory, say a 2100 about. The 1835 I had was great, and now I'm building a 2 litter for my other square. Just my .02
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

Suby swap or build up a 2.0L T3 motor. I had a 1904 with 40 IDFs and it was super fun.
'68 Squareback

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
www.evenkeelsurfshapes.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

Have your engine rebuilt into a turn key 1776-2017cc by a Pro, who will test run & warranty it!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

I have seen this motor and it is the cleanest build I have ever seen but try closer to 20K It's run in a black notch that is just sick!
dirtslinger wrote:
Check out Powerhausvwparts.com or on his Facebook page.

John built a a big 2 litre turbo fuel injected motor for his brother in law that is outrageously beatiful and I think it makes around 300hp.

ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

OhHerrooo wrote:
Suby swap or build up a 2.0L T3 motor. I had a 1904 with 40 IDFs and it was super fun.

For $5k, a 1904 is going to be about as far as OP is gonna get if it's built by someone else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

Chico built my friends complete turnkey motor for his type 34. Fan shroud, carbs to exhaust, delivered on a pallet. One of the best reputations in the industry

http://steelbugin.com

W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

I'm pretty happy with the 1904cc I built for mine, it was built for daily driving and stock rpm range. No problem keeping up to and passing modern traffic. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=140

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

the 2021 in my 67 square is awesome. but 5k won't build it. we a friend doing the machine work and us doing everything except balancing I think I'm somewhere in the $6-7k range.
dirtslinger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

[quote="69 Notchback"]I have seen this motor and it is the cleanest build I have ever seen but try closer to 20K It's run in a black notch that is just sick!
[quote="dirtslinger"]Check out Powerhausvwparts.com or on his Facebook page.

Yes, Johns brother in law lives in Colorado. His Notch is WAAAAAY Nice.
1956 Baja
1960 Sand Rover buggy
1965 Street bug
1967 Squareback
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

by the way if I had it to do over again I can honestly say there is a high chance I would Subbie swap. honestly one of the big reasons I took it off the table before is the feedback from people who had attempted running the cooling lines trough the tunnel was that it caused heat issues in the cabin. my car is to low to run lines under the pan. I know some have mostly solved the interior heat issue now and would probably go that way if I had it to do again.
dayunbao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

It seems like the cost of doing a major engine upgrade to get a lot more horsepower (like a Subaru swap or a high performance air-cooled engine) is close in cost to buying a used sport car. I've been pricing used Porsche Caymans, especially the S model, and for about $22k you can get a 2006 - 2008 with a reasonable amount of miles. That gets you a 3.7 liter flat six that has 295 hp at around 6500 RMPs. Other than wanting that kind of power in your Squareback or Fastback, is there any reason to not buy a used Porsche for the same amount that an engine swap would cost? I'm asking because I'd like to get something with some serious horsepower, and have been trying to figure out if I should just get a used Porsche, or put a more powerful engine in my Fasty.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

dayunbao wrote:
It seems like the cost of doing a major engine upgrade to get a lot more horsepower (like a Subaru swap or a high performance air-cooled engine) is close in cost to buying a used sport car. I've been pricing used Porsche Caymans, especially the S model, and for about $22k you can get a 2006 - 2008 with a reasonable amount of miles. That gets you a 3.7 liter flat six that has 295 hp at around 6500 RMPs. Other than wanting that kind of power in your Squareback or Fastback, is there any reason to not buy a used Porsche for the same amount that an engine swap would cost? I'm asking because I'd like to get something with some serious horsepower, and have been trying to figure out if I should just get a used Porsche, or put a more powerful engine in my Fasty.

If you have to ask, you know the answer.

If you buy the Porsche, you spend the money, and are done.

If you start a high prerformance type 3 project,
You better have a shop.

It's like asking if you should build a house, or just move into one.
Are you a carpenter?

Building a real high-erformance type 3 is like cutting down your own trees to build a log cabin.

What’s That Noise?!?
dayunbao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: performance motor for 67 square back? Reply with quote

Quote:
If you have to ask, you know the answer.

If you buy the Porsche, you spend the money, and are done.

If you start a high prerformance type 3 project,
You better have a shop.

It's like asking if you should build a house, or just move into one.
Are you a carpenter?

Building a real high-erformance type 3 is like cutting down your own trees to build a log cabin.

I wasn't talking about the difference between building your own high-performance engine or buying one, and it doesn't seem like the OP is either. Based on what the OP has said, I'd say she/she is looking to buy an engine and put it in his/her VW. So, I'd say my question is still valid.

I'm actually interested in what people have to say about the differences between these two options. I think there are a lot of interesting questions raised by putting a $15k-$20k engine in a car that may not even be worth the cost of the engine. Would putting an engine like that raise the value of your car by $15k-$20k? I've heard that it can be hard to find mechanics who will work on a swapped engine (like a Subaru swap). That seems to imply that only someone knowledegable enough to do all of their own work on the engine should attempt it. There are also safety concerns. For example, these old VWs are, quite frankly, death traps. They lack all of the modern structural safety measures, like crumple zones. I mean, the cars are made of really thin metal, the gas tank is in the front of the car... Getting into an accident at the speeds a 200+ hp engine can produce seems way more dangerous in an old VW than a modern car. Am I the only one who has had these questions when thinking about getting a beefier engine in their air-cooled VW?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: