Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Panel, panel, who's got the body panel?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spey Caster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Panel, panel, who's got the body panel? Reply with quote

I have been going through as many threads as possible trying to figure out if I should be replacing panels like the rocker panel drivers side on my 88 Westy or go the cut weld and grind route.

I noticed that there was a diverse range of opinions about using panels and sheet metal made for the purpose.

Where it gets really confusing is who the vendors are, and which manufacturers would be best.

I have phrased things this way because I have noticed that there are different sellers handling the same body panels from the same manufacturer at different pricing. Often the manufacturer may sell direct.

I would hope that I could get info on quality. I have seen on some posts that say some panels are so thin, that you may be back replacing them in a few years but also, there are some of very high quality with great fit.

With no previous experience, this is all very confusing. Is there a generally acknowledged high quality panel maker? Or, a best “budget” panel?

The internet has many many vendors and alleged makers, but my hope is to draw on actual experiences of forum members who have bought and used body panels.

I also noted that some panels are "large" panels and others are just pieces like the original ones.

To keep things simple, I would hope to focus just on the body panels as opposed to various body work techniques.

Thanks for helping
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Panel Panel whose got the Body Panel Reply with quote

I have some metal from a couple different dist's, and I have found that the best looking stuff I have has come from https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/ in UK. Hands down, top notch stuff. Worth paying for the metal, and the shipping. Widest selection too, from memory.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Panel Panel whose got the Body Panel Reply with quote

The inexpensive panels that CIP1.com and others sell get consistently poor reviews around here, but I provided a couple to my bodywork guy and he did a nice job just using necessary sections of them. Not concourse quality, but solid as a rock:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=100

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Panel Panel whose got the Body Panel Reply with quote

I generally look for rust free stock panels from part vans. In fact I'm driving 4 hours accross the state tomorrow to go plasma cut a driver's side rear quarter section for my syncro.

I have used stock cuts for nose repairs on my Westy before.....when Classic VW parts were selling I was fortunate to be able to buy all the OEM metal I needed for my Doka restoration (roof, drop gates, door and rear cab back).

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spey Caster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Panel, panel, who's got the body panel? Reply with quote

Thanks bobbyblack

I have contacted the Brickworks https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/ by email asking about panels and if the have a North American distributor (one could hope).

Does anyone know of a vendor of equal quality in North America?

Has anyone tried the GoWesty product?
ng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Panel, panel, who's got the body panel? Reply with quote

I notice you are in Vancouver, have you tried checking with Barry at Werke1

http://www.werke1.com/index.php

He supplies parts from a lot of vendors, handling the import and selling in CDN dollars. He also does a lot of really nice bodywork/paint, I'm guessing he knows what's up with panels.
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Panel, panel, who's got the body panel? Reply with quote

Priced right....

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Panel, panel, who's got the body panel? Reply with quote

I did the drivers side rocker panel from Bus Depot 4 or 5 yrs ago, it was good quality, and has been in only primer to this day. Fit was good, and it eliminates the one factory seam.
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Panel, panel, who's got the body panel? Reply with quote

Can someone explain what the issue is with the new panels available from the usual vendors? Seems like everyone is carrying panel parts, but they give very little information on the product.

What a variety on the price too, for the nose cowl, GW has it for $150, VC has it for $244 and BD carries it for $199. Again little info on whether this is NOS, aftermarket products or the thickness of said panels.

What is truly the differrence?

EDIT:

Doing some research here, as of a 2014 thread it appears the aftermarket panels avialble through our vendors may be from a Denmark Company called: Klokkerholm. Reports are that the sheet metal may be thinner. See here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

I have heard that VW Classic Parts no longer sell body panels, however the website is showing parts I need in stock. Try to checkout and you can not enter a USA address....so?

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/catalog...p;dir=desc

Perhaps back to rust free stock from donor vans...

FaceHook:

Last edited by Bman on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Spey Caster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Panel, panel, who's got the body panel? Reply with quote

Looking around for panels.
Has anyone tried these people?
http://www.alanhschofield.com/ourparts/cat_494151-Body-Panels.html
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Panel, panel, who's got the body panel? Reply with quote

I got driver's side lower body panel from Bus Depot (kitchen rust repair) which worked out great for me. It has a fake seam where the rusted seam was but it blends in very well.

I also got this right rear wheel arch panel (made Klokkerholm) but ended up not using it. Seems pretty decent.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Panel, panel, who's got the body panel? Reply with quote

The Klokkerdoodle rear fenders are one of the few pieces they make that fits like a factory part. It is a little bit on the thin side at 20G. Factory outer panels for Vanagons tend to be in the 18G realm or close to 1mm.

Their section which goes just aft of the rear fenders is a pretty decent pressing as well.

I don't care for their long-side rockers due to the fact that it eliminates the seam. I prefer my panels to fit like the factory intended. Another downside is that you won't be able to metal finish the upper weld because the lower rocker is attached and it doesn't leave any space to put a dolly behind the panel. I prefer making the upper on the long-side for these reasons, plus it's 18G:

I'm not sure if there is a decent pressing of the lower rocker. In the pic above I replaced the upper half of the lower rocker.

Seam rusted areas which don't require an entire panel get repaired with 18G:

Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Panel, panel, who's got the body panel? Reply with quote

18 gauge, thanks for that crucial piece of information Bulli Klinik.

FaceHook:
Spey Caster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Panel, panel, who's got the body panel? Reply with quote

Thanks Bulli Klinik.

This gives me a great deal of hope. Well done.
Bman is right on the gauge. Needed that.
skelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Panel, panel, who's got the body panel? Reply with quote

thanks for all the info in this thread! I've been wondering the same questions. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a panel and a "skin", if there's any difference at all?
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Panel, panel, who's got the body panel? Reply with quote

skelly wrote:
thanks for all the info in this thread! I've been wondering the same questions. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a panel and a "skin", if there's any difference at all?

Basically same thing, "skin" is a term used to describe the metal that is non-structural, covers the structural stuff on the body, and gets most of the paint. Common use of that would be a door "skin" to describe the part of the door that everyone sees from the outside. For older cars it is not uncommon to see someone selling a NOS door skin to replace your rusty or otherwise damaged one.

There are a lot of (largely meaningless) nuances to describing body parts this way e.g. a fender from an old bug would be called "fender" straight off the stamping machine, would not be called a skin or a panel. But the equivalent parts of a Vanagon I would call the "arch" (the curved piece which forms the opening where to the tire well) and around it a body panel. You can also get a single replacement that has both the arch and the rest of the panel, I would just call that a panel. If you called it a skin I would know what you are talking about and wouldn't correct you but it's probably not the most common term in use.
skelly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Panel, panel, who's got the body panel? Reply with quote

Very helpful... thanks Grant!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: