Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Creaky clutch pedal on my '85 Cabriolet
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Creaky clutch pedal on my '85 Cabriolet Reply with quote

Man this is driving me crazy. Just this week my clutch pedal started sounding and feeling creaky, like an old man's arthritic knee. I looked up there under the dash and saw where it pivots and sprayed a bunch of lube but to no avail. Creaky as ever! What can be done?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Creaky clutch pedal on my '85 Cabriolet Reply with quote

Replace the cable. When they start getting noisy, they start binding & this increased pressure will cause the cable stop at the top of the pedal bracket to break off (if it hasn’t done so already & this is what you’re actually hearing.). Be sure to lube the new cable before reinstalling, I use either spray chain lube or assembly lube for the thick viscosity.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Creaky clutch pedal on my '85 Cabriolet Reply with quote

Oh wow - is the cable difficult to find? A new one that is?
And the job itself? I'm looking at the thing in the engine compartment, looks pretty straightforward.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Creaky clutch pedal on my '85 Cabriolet Reply with quote

The cable is something that should be a maintence item.

There is a possiblity the pedal assembly is cracked and when that let's go, you are screwed. I have never had a cable make noise, but I've had a creaking noise when the bracket on the assembly break. The bracket is a pain to remove. Removing the front seat allows you to get under the dash easier. A welder works to fix it.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7284121-GTI-Broken-Clutch-Cable-Bracket

https://autobahnperf.com/2015/06/19/1981-vw-rabbit-broken-clutch-cable-bracket/
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Creaky clutch pedal on my '85 Cabriolet Reply with quote

kirk knighton wrote:
Oh wow - is the cable difficult to find? A new one that is?

Available at NAPA and other local stores, or through online retailers. I always keep a spare cable in the trunk... just in case.

kirk knighton wrote:
And the job itself? I'm looking at the thing in the engine compartment, looks pretty straightforward.

If you have a Bentley Service Manual (and you should), the procedure is explained. And, yes, it's pretty straightforward. The most complicated part is adjusting the cable to spec (it's easier to adjust if you make your own 12mm adjusting gauge as shown in the diagram):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

• Get two wrenches out. The lock nut is 17mm; the second wrench will depend on the cable.
  • Put the 17mm wrench on the lock nut; put the second wrench on the sleeve or upper nut, whichever your cable uses.
  • Loosen the lock nut and put the wrenches aside.
  • Lift the release arm up using the cable sleeve.
  • While still holding up the release arm, insert your 12mm adjusting gauge: If it easily inserts, turn the adjusting disc down until it rests on the gauge. If it won't insert, turn the adjusting disc up until it easily fits, then turn the adjusting disc back down until it rests on the gauge.
  • Release the release arm/cable.
  • Using the wrenches, tighten the lock nut.
  • Remove the adjusting gauge.
  • Go for a test drive.

Note: There should be a fat rubber grommet that the adjusting disc sits on. If this is worn or missing, replace it. There should also be a rubber washer that wraps over the cable flange; if this worn, broken, or missing, replace it.

Old:

New:

Butcher wrote:
I have never had a cable make noise...

I have: Before one broke; when one got stiff as a board. However, given these cars' ages, definitely inspect the carrier tube.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Creaky clutch pedal on my '85 Cabriolet Reply with quote

Great info, thanks!
I'm guessing the carrier tube is the tube the cable rides in. Is that something easily obtained new as well as the cable?

I just had a good look at the pedal and bracket; the bracket is NOT cracked or broken ( thank God! ).

In some other forums they talk about spraying some white lithium grease on the various hinge points of the pedal, and some people found that solved the problem. I tried to squirt some 3-in-one up there but just made a mess.

I should add that the car has only 65,000 miles on it. Maybe the cable is not so worn after all?
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Creaky clutch pedal on my '85 Cabriolet Reply with quote

Even if the cable is ok, I would replace it anyway. They are not that expensive and sure beats shifting without a clutch till you get home [when it breaks].
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Creaky clutch pedal on my '85 Cabriolet Reply with quote

Good idea.....which reminds me of a story in my life.
Years ago - 1978 I believe it was, in Portland Oregon - I was driving a friend's Corvair Van late at night. Just leaving my girlfriend's house, I turned onto the main road towards my house and right after I shifted into 2nd gear the clutch cable broke. SNAP! And so there I was, putt-putting in 2nd gear, with about 8 miles to go to my house.
Well well, I was able to continue doing just that, going maybe 20 mph the whole way home, every light green, not a cop car to be seen. I slid into my driveway and popped it out of gear and shut off the engine. Home safe!
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Creaky clutch pedal on my '85 Cabriolet Reply with quote

kirk knighton wrote:
I'm guessing the carrier tube is the tube the cable rides in. Is that something easily obtained new as well as the cable?

The cable, as stated previously, is easy to come by at your local parts stores. The carrier tube, if broken -- usually it's the weld that fails -- requires a DIY repair.

kirk knighton wrote:

I should add that the car has only 65,000 miles on it. Maybe the cable is not so worn after all?

That aforementioned cable that was stiff as a board in my car had about that many miles on it, if not less. Mileage means nothing... replace it. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kirk knighton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Creaky clutch pedal on my '85 Cabriolet Reply with quote

I finally got my Cabi to the local VW shop and he replaced the cable with a real nice German one. The clutch is smooth as silk now!
The mechanic confirmed that the stiff old cable was the source of the creakiness. He also confirmed that the pedal bracket takes the brunt of the tension from that stiff cable and could break. Luckily for me that didn't happen.

Thanks to all here for the great advice!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: