Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shocks for 2 1/2 “ drop
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
investomatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Shocks for 2 1/2 “ drop Reply with quote

Getting mixed messages from some of the posts on this topic.
My car 64 bug L/P has drop spindles AND adjustable beam. I
Want the front set to the limit of the spindle drop unlikely to go any lower.
What’s a good shock for this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Shocks for 2 1/2 “ drop Reply with quote

So you’re saying you will be running the beam all the way up or down? If all the way up, just run stock length shocks. Spindles don’t require lowered shocks.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Shocks for 2 1/2 “ drop Reply with quote

investomatic wrote:
Getting mixed messages from some of the posts on this topic.
My car 64 bug L/P has drop spindles AND adjustable beam. I
Want the front set to the limit of the spindle drop unlikely to go any lower.
What’s a good shock for this?

you'll need to measure the distance for your shock with the beam adjusted all the way up.

Most adjustable beams are sold with the adjusters turned lower so they no longer will raise to a "stock" position.

Stock shocks may still bottom out in your case.

swing by my shop and I'l take a look at it for you
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Shocks for 2 1/2 “ drop Reply with quote

Nonsense. There’s no need for lowered shocks unless you’re turning the adjusters down. You don’t need some snake oil salesman selling you something you don’t need. I have lowered spindles and an adjustable beam all the way up. I run plain old regular oil filled shocks and it rides nicely.

Now on my dune buggy that had regular spindles and the beam all the way down I have Empi oil filled lowered shocks as normal shocks would bottom out.

Also understand that your choice in tires will effect your ride quality as well. If you go with an ultra low profile tire it’s going to ride rougher than a tire with more sidewall. Another thing to consider is tire pressure. Too many people run a bug with little weight over the front tires with 30+ psi as it’s whats on the tires. You should be running 17-19 in the front and 27-29 in the rear. The bug is a much lighter car than what most modern radials were meant to support and keeping them at 32 or whatever will give you a jaw rattling ride.

You also don’t need gas shocks. If you are actually in need of shocks, Wolfsburg West sells stock style replacement shocks. Good quality, not junk.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Shocks for 2 1/2 “ drop Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
you'll need to measure the distance for your shock with the beam adjusted all the way up.

Most adjustable beams are sold with the adjusters turned lower so they no longer will raise to a "stock" position.

Stock shocks may still bottom out in your case.

swing by my shop and I'l take a look at it for you

Agreed. The important measurement in your case would be the distance in between top and bottom shock mounting points when the beam is at the highest adjusting point. If this measurement matches the stock height measurement, then stock shocks will work as factory.
It all depends on how correct the beam adjusters were installed.
RatrodPD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Shocks for 2 1/2 “ drop Reply with quote

I have a 64 with drop spindles and a puma adjustable beam. I have it adjusted 1 notch lower than stock height on beam. I run Kyb oil shocks that are about 1/2” shorter than stock length. The car rides like a factory height bug nice and smooth. Got shocks on rock auto for $30 a piece. It stated in description that they were for slightly lowered bugs but I can’t find a part # on them. Just a red kyb sticker on them. I love them. Much cheaper than the fancy Air Kooled shocks.
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Shocks for 2 1/2 “ drop Reply with quote

Mine were free. Came with the car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: