Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UK company supplying Electric Motor Conversions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davydomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: UK company supplying Electric Motor Conversions Reply with quote

There's an article in this month VW Camper & Bus about a company who are now looking to supply the above. They use Teslar batteries located where the petrol/gas tank would be. The price? An eye watering £25k to £30k GBP ($34,850 to $41,800 USD) Shocked

No - that doesn't include the Bus, just the conversion.

Think I'll wait a while on that one. Popcorn

"Mum, Dad ………. I'm Bay"

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet. Jean-Jaques Rousseau
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: UK company supplying Electric Motor Conversions Reply with quote

I couldn't tell you if this is the company in question, but it's a neat project to follow! Looks like they're doing a top-notch job!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=685542
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: UK company supplying Electric Motor Conversions Reply with quote

Here are the guys that do it

https://www.braziliankampers.co.uk/electric-campervan/

they used to do some really nice restorations on 68 to 79 bays but have moved towards the Brazi bays
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: UK company supplying Electric Motor Conversions Reply with quote

Electric conversions can be Skills' next VW endeavor. Dancing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: UK company supplying Electric Motor Conversions Reply with quote

Their product may be just dandy by their website has 404 errors all over it,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: UK company supplying Electric Motor Conversions Reply with quote

For that kind of money I could buy a rabey motor and get longer range. An electric motor kit runs about $7k and a Tesla battery runs about $12k, why is there so much mark up?
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: UK company supplying Electric Motor Conversions Reply with quote

The future has arrived
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: UK company supplying Electric Motor Conversions Reply with quote

Ride_On wrote:
I couldn't tell you if this is the company in question, but it's a neat project to follow! Looks like they're doing a top-notch job!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=685542

I just noticed this link. Thank you!!!!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: UK company supplying Electric Motor Conversions Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
For that kind of money I could buy a rabey motor and get longer range.

In the UK they don't need much range. Smile
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Davydomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: UK company supplying Electric Motor Conversions Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:

they used to do some really nice restorations on 68 to 79 bays but have moved towards the Brazi bays

That's the company!

A 52kw motor is bolted to an adaptor plate that goes on the stock gear box.

"Mum, Dad ………. I'm Bay"

Davydomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: UK company supplying Electric Motor Conversions Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

No strictly true, but compared to USA the distances are tiny.

It is said we Brits are never more than approx. 75 miles from the coast. So I guess you could get the coast and back off one charge wherever you live in UK Very Happy

A lot of T2 owners tour Europe in their Bus. Considering going over to France next year myself Cool

"Mum, Dad ………. I'm Bay"

alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: UK company supplying Electric Motor Conversions Reply with quote

Davydomes wrote:
MorkC68 wrote:

That's the company!

That sounds like a good recipe for eating gearboxes.
Davydomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: UK company supplying Electric Motor Conversions Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Davydomes wrote:
MorkC68 wrote:

That's the company!

That sounds like a good recipe for eating gearboxes.

You may have a point. It states in the write up that you can just leave it in 4th gear and drive from a standing start if you like.

"Mum, Dad ………. I'm Bay"

alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: UK company supplying Electric Motor Conversions Reply with quote

Yeah with all that torque and ability to really wind up you could easily over rev it in low gear. What is the top rpm for that electric motor? Could you be taking it to 10k rpm in 1st or 2nd without even trying? How would your gear box hold up to that?
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: UK company supplying Electric Motor Conversions Reply with quote

Davydomes wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

It is said we Brits are never more than approx. 75 miles from the coast. So I guess you could get the coast and back off one charge wherever you live in UK Very Happy

A lot of T2 owners tour Europe in their Bus. Considering going over to France next year myself Cool

My first thought was EVs are made for commuting, and are a poor fit for a camper. But commercial campgrounds usually have high-amp electric hook-ups, so you could bring a portable charger and fill-up while you're parked. They probably use the 80Kwh battery, which would give you plenty of juice when you do go off the grid. I have a Chevy Volt, and there is nothing like that quiet, effortless torque. It would be nice to be silent when you are in the woods, and the torque would be great off-road. But oy, the price.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: UK company supplying Electric Motor Conversions Reply with quote

Zeen wrote:
Davydomes wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

My first thought was EVs are made for commuting, and are a poor fit for a camper. But commercial campgrounds usually have high-amp electric hook-ups, so you could bring a portable charger and fill-up while you're parked. They probably use the 80Kwh battery, which would give you plenty of juice when you do go off the grid. I have a Chevy Volt, and there is nothing like that quiet, effortless torque. It would be nice to be silent when you are in the woods, and the torque would be great off-road. But oy, the price.

Volt as the daily here too. Love it. I've got an 11 inch DC electric forklift motor sitting in the garage, which was meant for the 72 Super I picked up last year. I was searching for salvage Volt battery packs (you can get 16kw pack from a wrecked Volt for $1,500 US) when I stumbled on my used Volt at a really good price so that was that - EV ready to go! I rebuilt an aircooled motor for the Super. Still think a conversion of something is in the future for that DC motor.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: UK company supplying Electric Motor Conversions Reply with quote

The article in the Camper and Bus magazine which presented this conversion, said that the initial use case for this bus was when the owner of the company was approached by a hotel to provide an electric shuttle bus.

There it makes a lot of sense - the Heathrow Airport is inside a low emission zone, where older vehicles and even bigger (but small by US standard) modern RVs based on delivery vans have to pay to enter (while the 40+ year old aircooled VW bus is free because we no longer have to pay annual road tax..)

As I just drove 185 miles the other day to the Dubfreeze show here in the UK, and the same again on the way back and the only electrical supply at the campsite was a locked 16 amp/240V electrical hookup point 50 yards away, it would have taken a long time for my 200 watt solar cells to recharge for the trip home. Smile

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: