Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fantastic explanation of Secondary Air Injection system
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masta Shake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Fantastic explanation of Secondary Air Injection system Reply with quote

I think I have a bad combi valve but I may have missed something. Have had terrible fuel economy lately. When the van starts and is cold it sputters at the exhaust which has been blamed on the combi. Before I just replaced it I wanted to see how it works and found this video. Now I have a few other things to check first.

Link

mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fantastic explanation of Secondary Air Injection system Reply with quote

Uncanny timing. When evaluating for ease of access to the oil pressure switch, I noticed that two of the mounts on this pump were completely sheared off. Ordered replacements from GAP. Not sure how common a problem, but for other's reference, they are part # 06A133567A.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fantastic explanation of Secondary Air Injection system Reply with quote

I want to hire this guy for all auto videos - great explanations, keeping concise, good tidbits on how to repair things. Well done.

I tell people the whine when I start up is my aftermarket APU/Supercharger
AlexandMary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fantastic explanation of Secondary Air Injection system Reply with quote

My question is how do we simulate the circuit to satisfy the ECU?

or what makes the ECU throw a code if the pump doesn't work?
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fantastic explanation of Secondary Air Injection system Reply with quote

First check to make sure your relay works. You can do this with VCDS on a 1995, if you’ve got that.

Then there seem to be two answers to this cat skinning. One is to replace with a later model pump etc that is not NLA like our 1995s. I’ve read about this on VWvortex. You have to modify the wiring harness. You might be able to us a SAI system from another car, same era,same digifant- like a Jetta or cabriolet. Not sure about that.

The other answer is to trick the ECU with a resistor. Again, VWvortex has info on this albeit on different models.

This is all on my to do list but not until winter, I just want my check engine light to not be on all the time so I don’t have to keep checking for new codes.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fantastic explanation of Secondary Air Injection system Reply with quote

It probably looks for a voltage drop on the OXS to sense the extra air, in which case you want a diode, not a resistor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: