Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mfrusetta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

Hi guys!! I’m brand new to posting on The Samba but I really need some help! I have a local shop I go to to help me with all of the stuff I can’t do myself. Problem is, he’s gone, out of town, I don’t know.. won’t contact me and I really need help!

I drive a 1972 superbeetle with dual carburetors. I know they need to be adjusted, I just have no idea how to do it 😩😅 I love my car, she’s my daily driver and my baby..but she’s starting to sound really bad and I don’t want to mess her up even more by driving her with my timing and carbs all screwed up. If anyone in the Bay Area is willing to help teach me how to adjust and maintain my carburetors, I would be forever grateful.

-Megan and Minty 💚
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

What kind of dual carbs do you have and what distributor are you running?

A good place to start would be here.....

http://www.aircooled.net/synchronize-dual-vw-carburetors-103/

http://www.aircooled.net/how-to-install-009-vw-distributor/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

Mfrusetta wrote:
Hi guys!! I’m brand new to posting on The Samba but I really need some help! I have a local shop I go to to help me with all of the stuff I can’t do myself. Problem is, he’s gone, out of town, I don’t know.. won’t contact me and I really need help!

I drive a 1972 superbeetle with dual carburetors. I know they need to be adjusted, I just have no idea how to do it 😩😅 I love my car, she’s my daily driver and my baby..but she’s starting to sound really bad and I don’t want to mess her up even more by driving her with my timing and carbs all screwed up. If anyone in the Bay Area is willing to help teach me how to adjust and maintain my carburetors, I would be forever grateful.

-Megan and Minty 💚

Ok, a few questions...
1. how many miles ago and how long ago where the carbs last adjusted, last rebuilt?

2. Please provide photographs of engine showing carbs so that we can see condition of linkage among other things. Lets get a general view of what it looks like also.

3. What type carbs?

4. What type distributor?

5. When was last general tune up in miles since? valve adjustment, sparkplug replacement, timing, points if applicable, spark wires tested or replaced, etc....

6. What are the symptoms the Bug is having that lead you to want a carb adjustment?

Many times, other problems can cause problems that may appear also to be carb related.

You can NOT properly tune a carb if you have wobbly linkages, bad spark plug wire, bad timing, dwell, valve adjustment, intake leaks, etc...

If you want to balance the carbs, you will want to have a synchronizer tool. If the two carbs are not synchronized, you cant properly tune them. A loose, wobbly, or low quality linkage can cause synchronization to drift, so before making this adjustment, the linkage action must be checked for stability, even operation, tightness, backlash. You should also be sure you have no intake leaks before attempting a carb adjustment.

Let us know the answers to as many of the questions you can. Please add any other details that you can think of about the motor, carb history of repairs, etc...

Oh, and a Great Big Bugster Welcome! Yellow 181 Red Bug Purple Bug Orange Bug Green Bug Blue Bug

Good Luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

Mfrusetta wrote:

I drive a 1972 superbeetle with dual carburetors.

No Beetle or Super Beetle ever came from the factory with dual carburetors so you're gonna have to let the folks here know what you've got in order for them to help you. Whatever you have is some aftermarket stuff and there are lots of possibilities in that regard.
Mfrusetta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

Wow!! Thanks for replying so fast! I’ll try to answer as many questions as I can to my ability.

1. She was last adjusted in November, I take her in every few months for regular upkeep and adjustments, oil changes and anything else that might sound/smell funny.

2. Weber 40’s and I’m almors positive it’s a 009 distributor

3. She’s doing small backfires, taking a few extra seconds to start, white smoke puff when she does start, smells like she’s running rich, and today the white smoke didn’t stop once she was running. The smoke smelled almost chemically today...?

I’ll post as many photos as I can, please tell me which parts you need a better view of.

A little background on me and Minty... I bought her three years ago with NO knowledge of cars, at all. But I saw her and fell in love. I still have VERY little knowledge on cars but I’m very eager to learn more about her so I can do a lot of this stuff myself. It’s difficult finding people willing to help. So please bare with me 😬😅
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Mfrusetta on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

Mfrusetta wrote:
Wow!! Thanks for replying so fast! I’ll try to answer as many questions as I can to my ability.

1. She was last adjusted in November, I take her in every few months for regular upkeep and adjustments, oil changes and anything else that might sound/smell funny.

2. Weber 40’s and I’m almors positive it’s a 009 distributor

3. She’s doing small backfires, taking a few extra seconds to start, white smoke puff when she does start, smells like she’s running rich, and today the white smoke didn’t stop once she was running. The smoke smelled almost chemically today...?

I’ll post as many photos as I can, please tell me which parts you need a better view of.

A little background on me and Minty... I bought her three years ago with NO knowledge of cars, at all. But I saw her and fell in love. I still have VERY little knowledge on cars but I’m very eager to learn more about her so I can do a lot of this stuff myself. It’s difficult finding people willing to help. So please bare with me 😬😅

I would go about adjusting the lean best idle first since this can be done with no tools.
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

Well it won't be difficult to find help here. That's what these guys do!

Take an overall picture of your engine bay and then a pic of one of the carbs....that will help.

Sounds like she is running rich.
Bosch 034

Long Gone: 70 Vert, 66, 68, 73SB, 70, 72, 61 Rag and a 64 with a cinder block in the spare tire well.
Mfrusetta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

hobbybob517
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

please remove the fuel filter from the engine bay,

also check your fuel pump, mine went bad and for some reason put out double the psi, caused it to run rich all the time.

3 million rpm? Well there's your problem! No wonder it blew up!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

from photograph, that metal fuel pipe near the inlet of the filter appears to be resting on motor metal. Vibration will wear a hole in it, so move it, clamp it, sheath it.

Also the rear tin piece is full of holes, allowing hot air into the cooling system, carbs. get the holes sealed up. and a breather box would be good for the crank case hose, It appears to be simply stuck out the bottom.

and per other post, move the fuel filter to near the tranny, near the clutch cable. safer there in event of leak.

Are valves adjusted, timing set, and intake manifold checked for leaks yet? that should be done before adjustment of carb.

also linkage needs to be checked, nothing loose? move throttle cable arm from engine bay, observe for even opening of carbs, observe for even full open position. make sure fan house is not loose, if it moves, linkage moves.

good luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

OK - lets back up....Car was running fine until recently. Last worked on in November. First of all, carbs should NOT require regular adjustments. Once they are set up, you shouldnt need to do anything unless something has been changed or something (like your linkage) came loose.

So now its running poorly - seeing white smoke that doesnt go away...Smells "rich". Putting my money on rings.....

I don't think your carb adjustment is gonna fix this. You need to take it somewhere to get a leakdown and compression test.

Let's see if anyone else feels ths same way.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

OK - lets back up....Car was running fine until recently. Last worked on in November. First of all, carbs should NOT require regular adjustments. Once they are set up, you shouldnt need to do anything unless something has been changed or something (like your linkage) came loose.

So now its running poorly - seeing white smoke that doesnt go away...Smells "rich". Putting my money on rings.....

I don't think your carb adjustment is gonna fix this. You need to take it somewhere to get a leakdown and compression test.

Let's see if anyone else feels ths same way.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mfrusetta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses, very much appreciated!

Something new within the last hour or so... she idled fine and smoke was seeping a little bit. I decided to drive her to get a coffee and back to see how she was driving and to drive by my local big shop in hopes they were there. (Less than 5miles round trip). Sudden loss of power while driving, still shifts, drove home with SIGNIFICANT less power...
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

Mfrusetta wrote:
Thanks for all the responses, very much appreciated!

Something new within the last hour or so... she idled fine and smoke was seeping a little bit. I decided to drive her to get a coffee and back to see how she was driving and to drive by my local big shop in hopes they were there. (Less than 5miles round trip). Sudden loss of power while driving, still shifts, drove home with SIGNIFICANT less power...

What else happened when you suddenly had less power?

A bang?
Is the motor cutting out at high RPM?
Won't idle?
Is rough, but then get's more power through the rev range (i.e. shift to 2nd, runs terrible but by the time it's time to shift to 3rd it begins to act 'normal')
"Dogging" i.e. push the accelerator and it just won't go?
Engine revs, but little to no acceleration?
Any smoke? Is it different smoke?
"Clunking" noises?
"Tapping" sounds?
"Knocking" sounds?
Does anything look different in the engine bay?
Fluids leaking on the ground now that weren't before?

Just tell the story of what you were doing, what the car did, and what you did after it started acting up and we can help figure out what may have occurred.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

Start it up and hold a rag over the exhaust exit and rev it up a couple times, look at the rag.. does it look like oil or smell like fuel? Could be alot of different things going on.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

Need to take a look at how the linkage cross-bar is no longer on the right-side pivot ball!!!!!!
Fix/adjust the linkage . . . just like O.P. said!!!
Might be missing the bushing and/or the spring by now!
The air filter tops are missing hardware . . . 1/4-20 "wingnuts".
Check to be sure the manifold(s) are tight to the head(s).
Mfrusetta wrote:

Mfrusetta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

I was driving home from getting coffee. Started off from a stoplight- Fist, second, third gear, driving in third for less than 1/4 mile when she started to lose power and I thought she was dying. So I put her in neutral and was gonna pull over. As I was slowing down I changed my mind and popped her into second, she was still driving but as my foot was pressing the gas pedal to the floor my mph continued to climb but it was crawling... taking me at least 10 seconds to go from 40mph-45mph. Very minuscule acceleration. I came up to another stoplight. First gear sounded normal, as soon as I went into second gear the same sudden loss of power happened and continued even in third and fourth gear. I made it home. Looked at the motor, had quite a bit of movement but nothing noticeably missing or rattling or banging. No new fluids on the ground.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

Also, you can pull each spark wire one at a time with the engine idling and see that it slows down a little indicating that it is, in fact, firing on that one.
Looks like Weber Carbs IDF's. Normally they are very trouble-free and offer excellent performance.
Got Dellorto on my VW and sometimes I lose a cylinder due to crud getting in a jet. On Dellortos it's usually an Idle jet and the fix is to remove it and spray through it with a spray can of carb cleaner.
Another time a Main Jet clogged when I revved it way up. Found a piece of red shop rag in it.

Spark plugs?
Spark Wires?
Maybe a plug wire came loose.

Here is a video I did showing how to test to find the cylinder that it is not running on.

Link

Last edited by Danwvw on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mfrusetta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

Okay so I started her up and took a video, I posted it on YouTube. She has a rattle now that I wasn’t aware of earlier. Hopefully you can hear her okay in the video.

https://youtu.be/AfZWf38tc8s
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP!! Adjusting dual carburetors Reply with quote

Time to pull the valve covers. It may be a rocker jumped off of a push rod. Let's see a close-up photo of it. I have had that happen on Dual Port VW engines that sill have the stock VW rockers shafts. Rocker 15, Pushrod 2.

Last edited by Danwvw on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: