Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 engine / Type 1 Trans Clarification
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeamChili
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Type 4 engine / Type 1 Trans Clarification Reply with quote

Just need a quick answer.

How do I tell if my AT code type 1 trans has an input shaft from a type 4?

My pilot bearing hasn't been relocated to the flywheel, but my 210mm clutch plate fits the input shaft splines.

What's the measurement from the splines to the tip of the shaft for a type 1 vs type 4?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine / Type 1 Trans Clarification Reply with quote

As far as I can recall, you don't. I think they are basically the same - just the flywheel/clutch differs. My T4 engine bolted right up to my Beetle trans with the correct clutch and flywheel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine / Type 1 Trans Clarification Reply with quote

I was not aware that a type4 input shaft would fit in a type 1 transaxle. Maybe they do?

I am putting a type 4 engine onto my type 1 swing axle tranny and I understand that all that is needed it to pull the old pilot bearing out of the crankshaft and push a new one into the flywheel after the hole in the flywheel is opened up to accept it.
TeamChili
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine / Type 1 Trans Clarification Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.

Everything on the Bradley vacillates between "How Clever" to "WTF!?!?".

When I pulled the engine and saw the pilot wasn't relocated, I put a mark in the "WTF" column.

But then I read somewhere that relocating the pilot wasn't required if you swapped input shafts. So I'm just trying to rule out that the builder was being clever before dropping my flywheel at the machine shop.
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine / Type 1 Trans Clarification Reply with quote

Yes you are going to need to relocate the pilot bearing into the flywheel.
You or machine shop need to ream out hole to larger size to fit a pilot bearing.

I would recommend replacing with a new pilot bearing and just leaving old one in end of crank. With as old as type 4 engines are, how many miles do you think are on the original bearing.
A 210mm flywheel will fit, It is what I used on my first type 4 conversion back in the 1970s.

I don't know of a mainshaft for a type I trans that is longer to use for a type 4 engine. A Bus trans axle that was mated to a type 4 engine, the mainshaft is to long to fit into a Bug Trans.

To the other poster, If you have a swing axle and it has the TO bearing that just sits on the fingers of the cross shaft, You going need to figure out what you are going to do to mate the two. Both the Bus type II 210, 215mm pressure plates do not have the center collar to match the early pressure plate.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: