Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mk3 Jetta OBD1. Automatic transmission slip, engine up to temp
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Mk3 Jetta OBD1. Automatic transmission slip, engine up to temp Reply with quote

Hi folks.

I'm searching here and on the 'net about this but could use input.

I'm thinking of buying a '94 Jetta. From the owner:

'It has 130K km's, was a daily driver but transmission sometimes slips after engine up to temp. If I shut down engine [maybe let it cool?] transmission is ok'

I wish i could find the TSB but I did find one regarding a sensor indicating incorrect transmission fluid temps causing the transmission control module to misbehave.

Does it sound like I'm chasing the wrong cause? i.e. is it more likely that the transmission is old/abused and starting to fail?

Thanks.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk3 Jetta OBD1. Automatic transmission slip, engine up to temp Reply with quote

Unless you're ready to shell out $2,500-$3,500 on a rebuild, I'd steer clear of a VW auto, especially if it's presenting you (or the PO) with issues.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk3 Jetta OBD1. Automatic transmission slip, engine up to temp Reply with quote

Right ok. Ya, no way I'd spend that money. Even if I did the R&R myself. I didn't mention this, as I didn't want to risk offending any VW purists here, Smile but its quite possible I'd eventually pull the engine from that Jetta to keep as a spare for my Vanagon/Jetta swaps. If feasible, in the meantime, I'd use the Jetta to drive short distances to beer store etc.; it is still drivable up to a point.

Finding potentially lower mile ABA OBD1 engines is getting hard to do locally. But who knows how the engine has been treated. However, vehicle paint, interior looks nice.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mk3 Jetta OBD1. Automatic transmission slip, engine up to temp Reply with quote

Sorry. Forgot this detail.

Owner said that while this Jetta was owned by the PO, rodents (assumedly) damaged wires. The PO then "fixed" that with a bypass of some kind. Where, to what, I don't know. So, this is why I'm leaning towards an electrical fault at TCM or ? vs mechanical.... assuming an electrical fault in a harness could cause an issue at tranny. My wishful thinking is that the current owner is experiencing a limp mode situation vs slipping tranny though under OBD1, limp mode may not be available.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mk3 Jetta OBD1. Automatic transmission slip, engine up to temp Reply with quote

When the trans goes into limp mode, it defaults to 3rd gear. If continually driven in third gear, it will burn up the clutches in third.

An ABA is too tall for a Vanagon swap without raising the engine cover. If it’s a good driver, it would be an easy 5-speed swap candidate.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Mk3 Jetta OBD1. Automatic transmission slip, engine up to temp Reply with quote

Sounds to me like someone istrying to sell you a parts car....I would pass...vw automatics are made out of glass and play doh....

200.00 car, max

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mk3 Jetta OBD1. Automatic transmission slip, engine up to temp Reply with quote

^^

ha ha. Didn't know that about the Mk3 auto. Assumed they'd be better than, say, the EV auto.

TDCTDI Ok. Thanks. Assumed OBD1 wasn't capable of limp mode. Good to know about potential 3rd clutch damage. I've been running an ABA 15º engine mount angle in my '81 Vanagon. Ya, the lid tub is not optimal but I got used to it. My current ABA swap into an '88 Vanagon is at 50º and I fabricated new baskets for the mounts setting engine lower so it just about clears the engine lid.

Most any used car is a ferry ride away but hopefully I can organize a test drive. Its likely its an engine donor at best but for a few hundred CND, that could be a good deal. Most in that price range are pretty beat up.

Neil.

car in question

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: