Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VanagonSalesman - [email protected] - Jonathan
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: VanagonSalesman
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: October 20, 2019
Phaeton Motorwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: VanagonSalesman - [email protected] - Jonathan Reply with quote

Anybody out there trying to deal with a gentleman by the name of Jonathan in MD? He is claiming to be in possession of a bunch of vanagons in Maryland. However, can't seem to sell any of them. He has been hounding us for months and now that it is time to buy, they magically were sold the day we were to buy.

Every conversation started out very calmly and formal. I even spent over 2 hours on the phone educating him on how to sell these vans and were to sell them.

Turns out he is just a lying twit. Be very wary if you are trying to do any business with him. We made and offer of over 14k for 9 vans that haven't moved in over 10 years. Then, we were ignored, then suddenly there was an offer from someone else. But there were a couple left. I put in an offer. Was to hear back by last Friday. No response. Today he tells our shop that the owner sold them on Sunday. However, in the months of conversations, Jonathan stated that the owner, of said vans, isn't over seeing the sale of any of the vans.

Something seems very strange about this man and the vans. I am just putting it out there that if you are dealing with him to think twice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appears to have two vans in classifieds here now...just a head's up. Seller listed as VanagaonSalesman, same first name given, same state location.
Phaeton Motorwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watch out. There is something really wrong with this guy. Those vans aren't worth 1k a piece. Nothing has been driving in over ten years. I have that in written proof.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Appears to have two vans in classifieds here now...just a head's up. Seller listed as VanagaonSalesman, same first name given, same state location.

This seller?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=VanagonSalesman

If anyone can confirm this is the same guy, I can update the thread title to link to his ads and profile on the site.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phaeton Motorwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. That is him. Everything was done via craig's list before. After I spoke with him several times and told him about thesamba, the ads went up. What is strange is that he claims to have dozens of syncros, bluestars...etc. Even sent me dropboxes of all the vans and said that the owner is not involved with the selling of any of the vans. Then, when we were to buy, he said the owner sold them all.

I have spoken to a few other people that were also trying to buy from him, and the same story occurred. Nothing seems right about this guy.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, title updated so it links.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sleeperspirit1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im the guy who bought several vans fron him, hes a nice guy and he was hired buy the actual owner of the vans to sell them. There is indeed several syncros etc. Avalible to purchase. Just chiming in , hes not a crook hes just a guy looking to make a living like the rest of us. As for the guy who started this post should have left a deposit , i went with cash and secured the vans i wanted, And picked them all up the following week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phaeton Motorwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my experience at all. I am glad that your experience went well. Ours didn't. Weeks and months would go by before you would get a response. Then he became very rude and insulted us via email. Then the vans were sold when we had agreed on a price. Like I said. I am happy it worked out for you. He wouldn't take a deposit which was strange. I had arranged a shipper and all the logistics as well. Then, poof, all were gone. Best of luck.
sleeperspirit1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said he had buyers for a few i wanted but nobody left a deposit, we both know there are alot of dreamers out there so theres a big difference between wanting something and actually coming through. I went there a few days after contacting him and drove the few hours and secured the deal with $ and removed them promptly. There are still around 50 left and i didnt buy any syncros but i did buy a weekender westy and my buddy with me bought the brown 85 westy. If you are interested in the others and u are serious contact him, hes not a scam artist and u will get the vans, i have the 5 i bought at my shop right now. At the end of the day money talks and bullshit walks, these vans dont grow on trees now a days as u know . Im not sure why u had a bad experience with him but id give it another try if you are serious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phaeton Motorwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a chance. I have encountered way to many contradictions and lies from him. Have them in writing and from conversations. I am a very serious person and have been doing this a long time. No need for headaches from him. We are good. Thanks.
jimp007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Great people to deal with! Reply with quote

Thanks to sleeperspirit1's comments, I was correct to make the road trip to this VW heaven yesterday. The rust-free, low-miles Syncro from Jonathan is exactly what I have been looking for for years. This was one of the best in-person purchases that I could make. I expected to pay retail price and that is what I paid. I did not try to beat him up on price because it is a demand vehicle. I have been buying and selling cars for decades and I know how to horse trade. If you do not want to pay full asking price, then you risk losing out to someone who will pay full asking price. I have lost out on many great deals over the years because I was inexperienced or hesitant. The art of the deal is to exhibit a strong desire to close a deal, but also not look like a pushover that can be tricked into overpaying or underselling. Both parties know the values and both parties have to be willing to walk away too. If you truly want one or more of these vehicles, make the deal and close the deal. If it drags on too long for you, then strap on a pair and walk away. You can always renegotiate at a later date if the vehicle(s) are still available.
jimp007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VanagonSalesman - [email protected] - Jonathan Reply with quote

I bought the rest of the Syncros. Smooth transactions. No complaints. Prices are fair market.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: