Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'smoke' coming from air filter on 77 Bay - Fresh Rebuilt engine
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: 'smoke' coming from air filter on 77 Bay - Fresh Rebuilt engine Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Spent some time tuning my carbs last night on my newly rebuilt engine, where i noticed it was getting quite fumey in the engine bay. Then I noticed that there was quite a lot of smokey fumes coming out of the air cleaner setup.

Does anybody know why this would happen on a newly rebuilt engine that has only done about 1000km max since it was rebuilt with all new parts?

thanks!

*video link removed - not working*

1965 Type 3 Squareback - 1641 - Dual Weber ICT 34's.

Last edited by Adski on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 'smoke' coming from air filter on 77 Bay - Fresh Rebuilt engine Reply with quote

Does the crankcase vent into the air cleaner? If so, it may be that the rings haven’t fully seated and you are getting some blow by into the crankcase venting into the air cleaner. Don’t know....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 'smoke' coming from air filter on 77 Bay - Fresh Rebuilt engine Reply with quote

Sorry but I can’t view your video
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 'smoke' coming from air filter on 77 Bay - Fresh Rebuilt engine Reply with quote

Need to be logged into google to see this. Try YouTube to reach a bigger audience.
Adski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 'smoke' coming from air filter on 77 Bay - Fresh Rebuilt engine Reply with quote

Ah bugger. Sorry.

Well maybe ignore the video and just imagine a small amount of smokiness coming out from where the air cleaner horns were attached. Would this be considered normal? 🤔

honestcharlie56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 'smoke' coming from air filter on 77 Bay - Fresh Rebuilt engine Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Does the crankcase vent into the air cleaner? If so, it may be that the rings haven’t fully seated and you are getting some blow by into the crankcase venting into the air cleaner. Don’t know....

Answer this. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: 'smoke' coming from air filter on 77 Bay - Fresh Rebuilt engine Reply with quote

I had similar issues with my new engine. It has reduced (1500ish miles now), though I still get a good amount of blow by out of my crank case breather. Keep an eye on it, it shouldn't get worse than it already is.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 'smoke' coming from air filter on 77 Bay - Fresh Rebuilt engine Reply with quote

You may be smoking your oil pretty good during the middle of summer on a rebuilt engine, this smoke will make its way out through the crankcase ventilation system. Make sure your engine is well tuned with the timing set to 28° BTDC at 2500+ rpms, hoses off and plugged. If you are seeing ambient temps in excess of 35°C then you could bump your timing back to only 27° or even 26° BTDC.

Running either a straight weight oil like 30wt or 40wt or a synthetic oil may cut down on smoke as well. YMMV
Adski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 'smoke' coming from air filter on 77 Bay - Fresh Rebuilt engine Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys.

I had taken my bus to the mechanic to setup my carbs as I couldn't even get it running. Turns out i had the leads around the wrong way. Anyway, when they tuned my carbs i noticed it smelling a lot like fuel when it was running. Although, it seemed to be running pretty well.
I ended up checking the carb balancing that they did at idle and high revs and it was way out. So, I managed to relatively easily enough fix that. Then I thought I'd have a play with the fuel mixtures - mainly because of the fuel smell. I'm pretty sure they had it set to the 'RICH AF' setting. Which I adjusted and now the bus doesn't smell like fuel out the back anymore, runs with so much better acceleration AND I noticed less haze/fumes coming from the air cleaner. There's still some there - but it seems (maybe?!) that the overly rich mixture may have been contributing to the air cleaner fumes somehow.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 'smoke' coming from air filter on 77 Bay - Fresh Rebuilt engine Reply with quote

You can only “adjust” idle mixture. In order to adjust “off idle” mixture you need to change jets. I wish it was just a screw turn but it’s a lot harder than that.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: