Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear floor pan insulation or?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sherm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Rear floor pan insulation or? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are some photos of "something" I think is covering the rear floor pans on my '69 type 1. I have never seen this before and I suspect that previous owner has added something. Or at least I hope that is what it is. Has anyone seen such a covering before? I've not pulled the rear carpet yet and checked the pan however I was told by local VW repair shop that the pans had been replaced. All thoughts are welcome, and thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear floor pan insulation or? Reply with quote

It looks like a rubberized undercoat that is coming off.

If it were mine, I'd clean it all off to see what the metal looks like then paint it with POR15, marine paint, or whatever you prefer. I have an aversion to rubberized undercoating. Too often people use it to cover up crappy temporary repairs or rust.
Daddy o's 67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear floor pan insulation or? Reply with quote

Looks to me like the floor pan is rotted out. Better pull the seat out and the carpet or vinyl floor mat up to see what is going on.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rear floor pan insulation or? Reply with quote

If the floor pans were replaced it was decades ago .
CWAVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rear floor pan insulation or? Reply with quote

My vote is to strip off the rubberized coating (that appears to be letting go in many places), grind it down to bare metal, and POR-15.

I did that on mine (granted I'm doing a body off restoration of my VW) but the idea is the same. I too am not a fan of those coatings, as it can hide things you'd want to know about. POR-15 is a good solid finish, and you'll be able to spot problems before they become real issues down the road.

This isn't a replaced pan. This is the original 1973 factory pan after being cleaned up and POR-15'd. Yours could look like that too!

CWAVE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rear floor pan insulation or? Reply with quote

The failed under coating should be removed as it can act as a water trap and thus promote rust. Sometimes dealers or aftermarket vendors, or owners add undercoating such as this.

Bug On, With a Clean Bottom!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear floor pan insulation or? Reply with quote

I'd get the old coating off and address the underlying issues- coatings/paints don't usually fail without an underlying problem.

Once you have repaired/addressed the issues on the pan, you can do a number of things:
1) Grind to bear metal then use PO-15/MasterSeries Silver

2)Get fixed, use a rust converting primer over surface rust, then paint with other paint
(Eastwood Extreme chassis black/ Eastwood 'rust-encapsulator' paint)

3)Get fixed, then use a Rust encapsulating rubberized coating (Eastwood brand one option)

I would not use a plain 'rubberized undercoating' that doesn't have rust-addressing compounds for the previously mentioned hiding or trapping of issues (water/rust/rot)
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear floor pan insulation or? Reply with quote

Daddy o's 67 wrote:
Looks to me like the floor pan is rotted out. Better pull the seat out and the carpet or vinyl floor mat up to see what is going on.

Agreed. While there is some thin undercoat and some areas of unidentified goop slopped on, that looks like rotted out sheet metal.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear floor pan insulation or? Reply with quote

I don't know what everybody else is seeing, but those pans are shot. Judging by the sheet metal screws protruding through the pans, whatever "repair" was done looks like it was screwed over the top of the rusted out original.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
scdevon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Rear floor pan insulation or? Reply with quote

Insulation?

Those pans are rotten from the inside out.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rear floor pan insulation or? Reply with quote

the black stuff on the underside of the pan is undercoating some hack smeared over the rotten pan from the bottom of the car. the rubbery stuff coming out of the rot is the sealant some hack smeared over the rotten pan from inside the cabin.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear floor pan insulation or? Reply with quote

In the POs last pic it sorta' looks to me like there's a seam going across the left pan right in front of the light brown colored dirty area. I agree that some major work needs done. Reminds me that my battery is on its way to dropping through the floor in the foreseeable future. Sad

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Sherm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear floor pan insulation or? Reply with quote

My appreciation to all that have responded to my post. I will be removing all of the "substance" covering the rear pans and will also look under the carpet. Chances are that the pans are history. Gives credence to the saying "buyer beware." I appreciate all of your responses.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: