Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brake lights not working
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattw2018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: brake lights not working Reply with quote

Hi maybe someone can help me figure this out... i have a 73 and the brake lights do not work. I checked the fuses & bulbs, all good. It has a hook up for brake lights for a trailer i figured this might be jerry rigged and could be why the lights don't work but it doesn't look like a hack job so likely not. Read the manual and it said it jumped right into the assumption that if the bulbs and fuses are good its a faulty switch on the brake master cylinder. i tried to run the test where you disconnect one switch at a time leaving only the wire that feeds the brake lights power, process of elimination to find the faulty switch. Still no lights when I tried to bypass both switches. Thinking through whether or not I conducted the test correctly... Maybe someone can help? more detail below on the test below... any other ways to trouble shoot the brake lights?

on the two switches on the master cylinder each has 3 connectors attaching to 3 corresponding wires. there is a red in the centre, black on the side and red/black on the other side. when disconnected the red black wire has power, the other two do not. I am assuming the red/black wire with power leads to the brake lights, other two are for the switch? the contacts on the wires are pretty dirty and worn next thing im going to do is clean them and re run this test.
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: brake lights not working Reply with quote

With your test light in hand (make sure your test light has a good ground) slide under the bus and make sure the black wire has power with the key on. Jump the black wire to the red/black wire at the plug and you should get the lights out back. Check both plugs, there are two switches/plugs.

If the lights function in the jumped position, replace one or both switches.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: