Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super shutter
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Getrdone123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Super shutter Reply with quote

I have a 72 super beetle and it drove great till I changed the front wheel bearings and now it has the super shutter from about 30-40mph. But not always. What could cause it and is there something easy I can do to fix it.
VolkswagenNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

First two things i would check are front tire pressure and alignment.
RVAmike97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

What Nate said ^^^ first, especially if it drove fine before and you're sure you didn't disrupt/loosen any other bolts especially on balljoints or tierod

If doing what Nate suggests doesn't fix it, unfortunately, you get to start rolling the dice. Once you have the legit super shimmy, the fix seems to vary.
VolkswagenNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

Btw front tire pressure should be 22psi or so, not whatever it says on the tire. This is a bit of a controversial subject. But if you're running 30-35, it's not helping your proplem.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

Getrdone123 wrote:
Super shutter

I think Super shutter refers to a camera or window covers. But I guess many here think you mean Super Beetle front shimmy.

Getrdone123 wrote:
I have a 72 super beetle and it drove great till I changed the front wheel bearings and now it has the super shutter from about 30-40mph. But not always. What could cause it and is there something easy I can do to fix it.

If there were no shimmies before you changed wheel bearings, and now there are, I would focus on those bearings and/or the bearing/axle nut adjustment. Did you use the allen bolt too, and torque it correctly? How did you measure/adjust the wheel play???

Did you change wheel bearings because it was "a nice day" or because there were symptoms?

Did you replace the races too?

Did you replace both inner and outer ones on both sides?

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Getrdone123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

[quote="Cusser"]
Getrdone123 wrote:
Super shutter

I think Super shutter refers to a camera or window covers. But I guess many here think you mean Super Beetle front shimmy.

Getrdone123 wrote:

If there were no shimmies before you changed wheel bearings, and now there are, I would focus on those bearings and/or the bearing/axle nut adjustment. Did you use the allen bolt too, and torque it correctly? How did you measure/adjust the wheel play???

Did you change wheel bearings because it was "a nice day" or because there were symptoms?

Did you replace the races too?

Did you replace both inner and outer ones on both sides?
[/quote
I changed the bearings because I thought I heard a squeak and I've taking it on a trip soon. Yes I bought them as a set National A15 and A1 I change both inners and outters on both sides. I tightened the spindle nut then backed it off a 1/4 turn then tightened the Allen same as I did back when I packed the old bearings and it was fine
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

Did you install new races in the drum?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

Getrdone123 wrote:
I tightened the spindle nut then backed it off a 1/4 turn then tightened the Allen same as I did back when I packed the old bearings and it was fine

I'm not familiar with that "technique". I think I'd do this as per the repair manual.

Zundfolge1432 and I both asked if you installed new races.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Vanillagurilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

1/4 turn seems a little much to me on any front bearings.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

Vanillagurilla wrote:
1/4 turn seems a little much to me on any front bearings.

X2 on that.

Heh, my nickname when I was younger at 6' 5" and 250lbs was Magilla (Gorilla).

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Getrdone123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Getrdone123 wrote:
I tightened the spindle nut then backed it off a 1/4 turn then tightened the Allen same as I did back when I packed the old bearings and it was fine

I'm not familiar with that "technique". I think I'd do this as per the repair manual.

Zundfolge1432 and I both asked if you installed new races.

Been doing it that way for years on trailers and pickups alike.
What does the manual say?
I know you did and I thought I said I did change races
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

Getrdone123 wrote:
Been doing it that way for years

More "famous last words" ...

Vanillagurilla, BigMikey, and I think that's a lot of play.

Getrdone123 wrote:

You don't have a VW repair manual ???? You "just might" want to get one. How about the Bentley?
Getrdone123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Getrdone123 wrote:

Getrdone123 wrote:

You don't have a VW repair manual ???? You "just might" want to get one. How about the Bentley?

Well you know snarky comments aren't necessary. I've never had a problem till now so pardon the hell out of me. Yes I do own a Bentley but as I do not have access to it at the moment I thought I would simply ask the audience. But nevermind
shakers73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

I tighten mine to no more than 10 ft lbs then back it off and tighten it till you can just move the thrust washer with a flat head screwdriver. Not so tight as you have to use a lot of force to move it. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 ft lbs. Hope this helps.

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Getrdone123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:
I tighten mine to no more than 10 ft lbs then back it off and tighten it till you can just move the thrust washer with a flat head screwdriver. Not so tight as you have to use a lot of force to move it. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 ft lbs. Hope this helps.

Yes it does! Thank you so much Shakers73 and most importantly thank you for being helpful AND polite! I hope you have a wonderful day!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

Getrdone123 wrote:
Yes it does! Thank you so much Shakers73 and most importantly thank you for being helpful AND polite! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Polite????? I'm like "Mr. Wonderful" on Shark Tank - I may not be politically correct to all concerned, but most would be wise to take the advice !!!!

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

shakers73 wrote:

I second that. That the way I was taught to adjust front wheel bearings.

First time I adjusted a wheel bearing, I placed the screwdriver tip in too far and pried up against the bearing's cage. Daddy was not too happy to have to then get another bearing! Learned a good lesson that day. Keep the tip on the thrust washer!!!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

I’ve always tightened to around seven ft. lbs., spun the wheel, loosen it a tad, tighten back to around seven, and tweak it so that I can barely move the thrust washer with a screwdriver.

However, I bought a dial indicator awhile back for setting flywheel endplay; so, next time I have my rotors off, I’m going to try the Bentley method, using the dial indicator. .001 to .004, if I remember correctly.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

Getrdone123 wrote:
Cusser wrote:
Getrdone123 wrote:

Getrdone123 wrote:

Well you know snarky comments aren't necessary. I've never had a problem till now so pardon the hell out of me. Yes I do own a Bentley but as I do not have access to it at the moment I thought I would simply ask the audience. But nevermind

OK chill out. Yeah - I do my trailer like you do and a little wobble is better than too snug. But do the "just be able to move the thrust washer with a flatblade" technique on cars and never had a problem. I had a tech that does some work for me on occasion and he was taught to tighten them almost snug, then test drive and see if it gets hot or not. Not OK with that one either.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Super shutter Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
shakers73 wrote:

I second that. That the way I was taught to adjust front wheel bearings.

First time I adjusted a wheel bearing, I placed the screwdriver tip in too far and pried up against the bearing's cage. Daddy was not too happy to have to then get another bearing! Learned a good lesson that day. Keep the tip on the thrust washer!!!

I have to third that.
My father taught me the same method about 15 years ago. Never had any problems. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: