Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with 93 Eurovan after coolant hose replacement
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HearseLady1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Help with 93 Eurovan after coolant hose replacement Reply with quote

Hello I am working on a 93 Eurovan and have replaced all the coolant hoses and sensors. However, as I begin the bleeding process, I notice that the Coolant temp guage does not move and after about 30 seconds from starting it the coolant temp light is flashing. I am really not familiar with these vans and I am not sure what's going on. I replaced the sensors.. Now, I need to ask the owner if the gauge ever worked in the first place.

I thought perhaps it might be because the system has air in it. The new heater hose does not have a bleeder screw in it, though. The upper radiator hose is hot, lower one is not. There was a different fellow who worked on this car prior to me and he replaced the water pump and thermostat. My fear is the new water pump was not installed correctly and isnt moving the coolant. How can I rule this out? Thanks!

Edit to add: i spoke with the owner and he says the temp gauge never works or once in a while does. After research that seems to be a problem with a circuit board behind the instrument cluster. But that doesn't explain why now the light is flashing and the engine feels very hot. So does the upper radiator hose.. The whole system including the radiator was flushed out, but the other guy that worked on it is very shoddy and i dont know what he did to it before i got my hands on it. I dont want to continue running it and risk something happening. But could it just be air in the system? Could the water pump not be working correctly? The fans arent coming on, even though the engine feels very hot, but I'm not aware if one should be running immediately after the car starts.
eddiy70vt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: 93 Eurovan coolant hose air bleed screw Reply with quote

I see no reply to this 6 month old question, and am looking for information on the coolant air bleed screw. I am new to TheSamba so thought this may be way to resume a Topic (or not?). I bought 93 EV (AAF) MV Weekender in April 2017. Since then I have slowly been learning about and fixing up poorly maintained or defective items. Seems prior owner did not take to VW dealer. I have its original Owners Manual, plus bought the Bentley books 3 Vols (lots of diagrams with numbered notes). Anyway, the upper heater core hose does have a metal screw (flat slot, hex head) presumed for air bleeding. When I turn the screw either right or left nothing appears to happen, I stopped turning or pulling screw for fear it would come out of hose and not reseal coolant. No coolant is seen around screw area. Question: how does this bleed screw function, or did someone just replace a standard metal screw into the hose's original bleed socket? PS - In future I will have many more "how does work" type questions about small items on my 93 EV. I will of course Search the forum Topics first.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Help with 93 Eurovan after coolant hose replacement Reply with quote

http://vweurovan.wikia.com/wiki/Cooling_System_Bleeder_Screw?useskin=monobook
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eddiy70vt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 93 Eurovan after coolant hose replacement Reply with quote

Joshwa, Thanks for response. I have read the link you sent and can only think the oem plastic thumbscrew (M6x1.0) is gone and replaced by unknown metal bolt. I do not see any leakage here, and both hoses to front/upper heater core are hot. I have also reved engine with Tank cap off and coolant flows and all air seems removed. So maybe just don't mess with what ani't broke!
Last question for completeness, from the Wikia link text appears that inside the hose is a metal female threaded socket, M6x1.0 (dia/pitch)? Seems if you ream out those threads as Wikia suggests, you may allow particles get into coolant system, unless you first remove the entire hose section. Seems dangerous if not necessary!
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with 93 Eurovan after coolant hose replacement Reply with quote

eddiy70vt wrote:
Joshwa, Thanks for response. I have read the link you sent and can only think the oem plastic thumbscrew (M6x1.0) is gone and replaced by unknown metal bolt. I do not see any leakage here, and both hoses to front/upper heater core are hot. I have also reved engine with Tank cap off and coolant flows and all air seems removed. So maybe just don't mess with what ani't broke!
Last question for completeness, from the Wikia link text appears that inside the hose is a metal female threaded socket, M6x1.0 (dia/pitch)? Seems if you ream out those threads as Wikia suggests, you may allow particles get into coolant system, unless you first remove the entire hose section. Seems dangerous if not necessary!

Well, you could have just edited the article directly in order to mention that concern. But never mind, I just did it for you.

As for how it works, there is a slot cut into the threads of the screw. I added a note about that in article too. I should have taken a picture of my screw so I could add that to the article, but anyway, if you go look at a picture on gowesty you can see the slot cut into the threads.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: