Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40 hp push rods
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
128vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: 40 hp push rods Reply with quote

I am building a 40 hp engine from parts that I have around. I am using a set of long rocker stud heads and when I put on the rockers I have to back the adjuster screws almost all the way out to set the valves. Are there different length push rods or can I shim the rocker stands up, this looks good.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp push rods Reply with quote

there's like 3 different lengths of 40hp at least, so yeah, when you mix and match heads, lifters and rockers you'll probably have to improvise a little
128vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp push rods Reply with quote

So can I just shim the rocker stands to make the geometry close. Not a performance engine, just around town. Thanks
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp push rods Reply with quote

You can shim the rockers, but if you don't get the geometry correct and only "close" you're looking at accelerated wear on the valvetrain. Just a hunch, but it sounds like you might have 1300-1600 pushrods installed instead of 40hp ones. Have you measured their length?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp push rods Reply with quote

Well, as far as what was sold in the USA there were two lengths. I guess there was another change to just very slightly longer ones during model year 1967 but that's nothing. The major change was here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
128vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp push rods Reply with quote

It looks like I have the early push rods like the top ones in the picture. I need to check the stands are marked top. Does anybody have the length of the 2 early push rods?
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp push rods Reply with quote

128vw wrote:
Does anybody have the length of the 2 early push rods?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616831#8616831
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp push rods Reply with quote

I have NOS both sizes. Pm what you need.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: