Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super Beetle Problems - Need Help Fast
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bailey75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Super Beetle Problems - Need Help Fast Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I drive a 1975 Super Beetle. It's perfect. Apart from one very worrying big problem.

9/10 times that I shift into second gear, it doesn't go in, and makes a horrible crunching noise. I have to try sometimes 3 times to get it into second. That 1/10 time that it does, I really have to "force" it in. If it doesn't go in, I have to come to a complete stop and then shift into first and start again. I don't have any issues shifting into second going up through the gears, only shifting down. I tried block shifting from fourth down to second, and there is no issue. Only going from third to second.

I did a full oil change the other day, and am getting my transmission fluid changed this afternoon.

Hoping this isn't going to cost me heaps to fix

Any other help would be great!

Last edited by Bailey75 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: NEED URGENT HELP Reply with quote

Sounds like worn synchros. Can you try double clutching. Push the clutch in, then let it come back up then push it again. Then shift. Any improvement?

Also, second gear is a highly used gear in these cars. It would not surprise me if the tranny has seen its better years with another driver. It may be time for a rebuild. But try double clutching first. If that changes things for the better, it may be worth a shot at replacing the pressure plate, clutch disc and throw out bearing.

Good luck and report back in after trying the double clutching.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: NEED URGENT HELP Reply with quote

First of all edit your title to something like "Transmission questions" in normal small case type, what you have used now is usually reserved for when you are broken down in BF nowhere with a mean looking biker gang circling you, remember the story of the boy who cried wolf?.

Sounds to me like you need another transmission if your clutch is adjusted properly, that sounds dire, but far from URGENT!!!@*% Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Bailey75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: NEED URGENT HELP Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
First of all edit your title to something like "Transmission questions" in normal small case type, what you have used now is usually reserved for when you are broken down in BF nowhere with a mean looking biker gang circling you, remember the story of the boy who cried wolf?.

Sounds to me like you need another transmission if your clutch is adjusted properly, that sounds dire, but far from URGENT!!!@*% Wink

Yeah cheers mate.
Bailey75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: NEED URGENT HELP Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Sounds like worn synchros. Can you try double clutching. Push the clutch in, then let it come back up then push it again. Then shift. Any improvement?

Also, second gear is a highly used gear in these cars. It would not surprise me if the tranny has seen its better years with another driver. It may be time for a rebuild. But try double clutching first. If that changes things for the better, it may be worth a shot at replacing the pressure plate, clutch disc and throw out bearing.

You're a legend. Going to try this this afternoon. Thanks so much for your help
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: NEED URGENT HELP Reply with quote

Don't get too happy. If those synchros are worn, that means a tranny rebuild.
Post back what you discover. Cheers!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Bailey75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: NEED URGENT HELP Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Don't get too happy. If those synchros are worn, that means a tranny rebuild.
Post back what you discover. Cheers!

Just took it for a drive around the block, still doing it even when double clutching. I'm taking it to a mechanic this afternoon
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Problems - Need Help Fast Reply with quote

I wondered what the crisis was. Got me to look, lol

Click to view image
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Problems - Need Help Fast Reply with quote

So, you have no issues when shifting from first to second, correct? This “crunching” only occurs when downshifting to second from a higher gear (third gear, I assume). And you’re not racing around corners when downshifting, I assume.

It’s possible that when downshifting from third to second, you’re actually grinding “crunching” reverse gear. This can happen if there’s a problem with your reverse lock-out plate. While trying to get second, you’re actually attempting to get reverse.

Do you have a stock shifter?

Check the position and possible wear of your lock-out plate. Is it placed on the wrong side, upside down, or worn?

I had issues similar to yours when I replaced my shift housing with an aftermarket keyed shifter lock. The shift lock-out plate sat too high, so that when I downshifted to second, I would move into reverse gear. Naturally, I only ground reverse, due to my speed, but I quickly replaced the shift lock back to the stock setup. In your case, you may simply need to replace the lock-out plate, or possibly just re-adjust it. Either way, take it apart and see what’s what.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
JuggButt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: NEED URGENT HELP Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:

I have the same issue going from third to second. I double-clutch and GENTLY slide the stick into second gear. I sometimes goes right in and sometimes it takes a second or two. But I NEVER force it.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: NEED URGENT HELP Reply with quote

JuggButt wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

I have the same issue going from third to second. I double-clutch and GENTLY slide the stick into second gear. I sometimes goes right in and sometimes it takes a second or two. But I NEVER force it.

Time for a tranny rebuild.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
David Miskov
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Problems - Need Help Fast Reply with quote

I agree with Tim on this. Definitely check the lock out plate. I had the same problem years ago and it got to the point where I hated downshifting into second. Finally changed the lock out plate and have been using the trans (I thought was bad) for the past 20 years.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Problems - Need Help Fast Reply with quote

Have you tried revving your rpms up slightly before going from neutral into second?

I broke my clutch cable 2 hours from home once and used that to synchronize my speed shifts up and down. If it works without a clutch at all it may help in this situation.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Beetle Problems - Need Help Fast Reply with quote

If you are double clutching down a gear, you put the clutch in, shift out of third, let the clutch out, then REV the engine a little, putting the clutch in again and shift into second gear, usually a worn clutch disc or burned/glazed pressure plate or flywheel if it goes into second without grinding. Check the position of shifter, is the throw from natural to 1st and 3rd the same distance as from natural to 2nd and 4th?, if not adjust it until the same.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: