Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Never Owned a Bug, so I bought 3!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Never Owned a Bug, so I bought 3! Reply with quote

Hello, and welcome to my virtual insanity tour! Last summer I was given a 78 Super Beetle convertible. It had been sitting for many, many years so it has many, many significant issues. Biggest being horribly rusted pans. Next biggest being no wiring (AZ pack rats had been living in it and ate 80% of the wiring).

I'm no novice to cars, but I've never owned a VW, so I started w the basics. Engine, tansmission, brakes, suspension, etc. Well, since everything about restoring an old car snowballs into the nether regions of Kris Kringle's undies, I pulled the motor and tranny. They were so coated in gunk, I couldn't even find engine codes. Eventually I found out that I have the correct block (AJ series for an 78!Super) but it was retrofitted w a single carb. NBD, carbs are great. But upon further inspection, I realized that pretty much everything needed to be cleaned, inspected, repaired, or replaced if I was ever going to get the Super back on the road. The motor turns over great and has compression, but I wouldn't trust it without more information.

The tranny I sent out for a cleaning and a complete re-seal.

I started looking around for engine options and met a guy who knew a guy with "a VW engine". Skip ahead 6 months and I am now the owner of 3 VW's, 3 motors, 6 transmissions and more parts and pieces than I could ever want. I had to buy it all or nothin and I wanted the engine.

The motor is a SCAT 1918cc w a street cam and an EMPI carb. Should be a lot of fun!!

But now I have a garage full of stuff I don't need and don't plan on using. Not to mention the cars. I habpve the 78 convertible, a lowered '70 and a 68 Baja. The Baja is the one I definitely don't want. It does not have a motor or tranny installed but it has a full custom roll cage with a tranny strap, Fox air shocks, custom SS gas tank, fiberglass hood and fenders and an engine cage.

Based on the pics, what is the value of that? Plus I have an extra set of giant wheels. They don't have a brand on them anywhere.

I also got a nice full pan from a '66. It has surface rust, but it is nice and shiny where the factory sound deadening material is still attached. Dumb question, but what does one do with a thing like that?

I also got boxes and boxes of parts (coils, carbs, tin, lights, lenses, badges, you name it) And two full front beams.

It's going to ban an interesting decent into madness, but I will try and keep my head on.

Just wanted to say Hi, and ask for patience as I learn more about these cars.

All the best..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Owned a Bug, so I bought 3! Reply with quote

Welcome to the Sambe Bill!

Those pack rats are nasty critters. When the inlaws lived in Vail AZ, those little bastards chewed up a whole lotta wiring in their motorhome. Took me the better part of a vacation to rewire that thing. During that time, we caught that little sucker!

The parts collecting never stops. You should really evaluate your storage capacity and start making room. I had to rent a storage unit, about the size of a single car garage to store my small collection of parts. Costs me about 100 a month to store old junk, but when you need something, you need it!

The classified section of this site is a great place to get rid of extra parts.

Good luck and keep having fun!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Owned a Bug, so I bought 3! Reply with quote

Man that Baja is pretty bare.
Although, what's there seems to be in good shape.
Other than the cage/Baja body pieces, it's pretty stock as well.
Idk if you have paperwork but I'd try to squeeze $1200 out of it or just hope for a decent offer.

Those are indeed some huge tires.

Looks like you have a type2 gear reduction transaxle...
Do you have a regular swing axle trans?
You could make that '66 pan a rolling chassis and get a few bucks out of it too just to get it out of the way.

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Owned a Bug, so I bought 3! Reply with quote

Take the VIN# off the pan and have the cops or DMV run it to see if it is stolen or has any leins on it.
If it comes up clean, get a title for it (the car follows the pan, so technically a stripped down pan that one man can move around on a dolly, thats a VW bug!).
Someone who wants to build a buggy/ kit car (or has significant damage to their pan) will buy a titled pan, the clean title is worth the fees when you are trying to sell it!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Dürtwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Owned a Bug, so I bought 3! Reply with quote

Hey I live about an hour south of Flagstaff, you guys get snow over the weekend? It rained here in the valley.
Btw you might want to keep jay Baja , they are pretty fun in the snow !
Bill T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Owned a Bug, so I bought 3! Reply with quote

Thanks Rocorod. Is this the same thing as applying for a bonded title? I had to go through that with the last car I bought because the PO lost his title. Cost me a couple of hundred bucks to go through the process. If I go through all the headache to get a title for this pan, how does that effect the value? Or, what is the value of a 66 pan with a clean title vs without? Now that I think about it, with the inspection, fees, and bond for the title it was $300+.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Owned a Bug, so I bought 3! Reply with quote

Hey! I was in Cottonwood yesterday. Small world. I must have a loose screw because I’m in Flag and I would rather keep the convertible or the lowered 70. Neither of which are good for snow And the one car that could be good for snow I don’t want! If you know anybody looking for a Baja, baja wheels, or a full Beetle pan, let me know.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Owned a Bug, so I bought 3! Reply with quote

Got Aircooled? Got extra parts!!! It's just that way. Welcome to the fun.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Owned a Bug, so I bought 3! Reply with quote

Well it is about time you got a Bug, huh?

Welcome to the world of Buggism!

Photographs are very welcome if will you spare some time to post them We really like long shots, close shots, head on shots, left side shots, right side shots, rear shots, 3/4 view shots of each corner, interior shots, trunk shots, and we all love engine bay shots.

So give it a shot.... Bug On!

Yellow 181 Red Bug Purple Bug Orange Bug Green Bug Blue Bug

PS I own a Triumph Spitfire.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Bill T.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Owned a Bug, so I bought 3! Reply with quote

Hey Bluebus. I have some pics posted on my profile page of the cars. The rest is strewn across three cities till I get things sorted
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Never Owned a Bug, so I bought 3! Reply with quote

Oh, thanks for posting. Looks like a fun project. I like the look of the later Bugs. I got a 61, 65 and 66 right now, but I like them too. I think I got the Bug too.

Orange is a great period correct color. i like the vivid colors of the 70s cars. Hope you decide on a wild but correct color!

Looks like you have Riviera wheel rims. I have had those on a 914. Tinted glass too it appears on the door can be a nice look, Its pretty dark, but I opt for clear for visibility/safety reason.

Looks some front crash damage has been worked on, lower front apron, different color fender. If you need replace steel, source original stuff, even used with minor damage that can be worked put is good, as most aftermarket made today is of poor fit and is thin gauge steel.

anyway looks like a fun project. Hope it goes well for you!

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: